+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some confusion and a few questions

adicha

Jan 20, 2020
** HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM FOR THE BELOW POST**

Hi All -Will try to keep this short and concise folks

Background & Current Status :
  • Received COPR in 2019 with an expiry of Oct 2020 for BOTH me and my wife (Express Entry candidate)
  • Currently in India but other have a residence in the US due to the executive order preventing H1B stamping
  • Wife is in the US, working on CPT with H1B picked up in the 2020 lottery (yet to be approved)
  • I am working remotely for my US employer while I am in India
My plan for 2020

1. Move to Toronto, Canada in August, 2020 either using Vande Bharat or other flights if travel restrictions are lifted by then in India
  2. Continue to work remotely from Canada while at the same time searching for opportunities there
  3. Wife will ATTEMPT to meet me in Canada before Oct, 2020 for a soft landing but will go back to US to wrap things up. The reason I say this is because of complications arising from 'Change in Status'. We don't want to risk her not being able to get back in the US.
Questions
  1. I am pretty confident that I am eligible to travel to Canada as my COPR was approved before March 2020 and I will be providing Proof of Funds. Could anyone please confirm?
  2. If my wife is unable to do a soft landing before expiry of COPR -Oct, 2020 , what happens next?
    • Do I have to sponsor her again?
    • Does it have an impact on my PR status?
    • Can I instead request an extension for her?
-------------------------------------------------------------
If I missed providing any critical information that will aid in feedback, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Your wife could ask to extend her COPR, but I don't see why she wouldn't be able to land in time since she's in the US. Obviously there may be implications for her H-1B status there, but that's not Canada's business.

Reactions: adicha

adicha

Jan 20, 2020
Your wife could ask to extend her COPR, but I don't see why she wouldn't be able to land in time since she's in the US. Obviously there may be implications for her H-1B status there, but that's not Canada's business.
So a dependent could get their COPR extension? Forgot to mention, I am the primary applicant. Would Covid-19 be a reasonable reason to apply for an extension?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
[Q
So a dependent could get their COPR extension? Forgot to mention, I am the primary applicant. Would Covid-19 be a reasonable reason to apply for an extension?
With an expiry of 10/2020 seems doubtful an extension would be approved given your wife has plenty of time to move from the US after you as the primary applicant would have landed 8/2020 based on current plan. My view it is too early anyway to apply for an extension for a 10/2020 expiry anyway given various restrictions may have eased hopefully by then.

Getting an extension on basis of travelling from US versus from India might be seen in a different light as justification but thats just my view given you will find even now people are reporting on this forum landing sucessfuly from the US.. Whether she can get back into the US is not something Canada Immigration will take into consideration for any extension request.

Your PR status once you have landed is not affected at all should your wife not land in time and yes if that happened you would need to sponsr again from scratch.

Reactions: adicha

adicha

Jan 20, 2020
[Q

With an expiry of 10/2020 seems doubtful an extension would be approved given your wife has plenty of time to move from the US after you as the primary applicant would have landed 8/2020 based on current plan. My view it is too early anyway to apply for an extension for a 10/2020 expiry anyway given various restrictions may have eased hopefully by then.

Getting an extension on basis of travelling from US versus from India might be seen in a different light as justification but thats just my view given you will find even now people are reporting on this forum landing sucessfuly from the US.. Whether she can get back into the US is not something Canada Immigration will take into consideration for any extension request.

Your PR status once you have landed is not affected at all should your wife not land in time and yes if that happened you would need to sponsr again from scratch.
Thank you for the response! I agree, the situation is very fluid and may change as the date approaches 10/2020 and an extension filing just before will make the most sense. I wasn't planning on filing it just yet anyway. I will start investigating the process for sponsoring my wife just in case it comes to that.