+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Process Clarifications

nowwinaditya

Jun 1, 2021
Hello everyone,
Like a lot of people on this website, I got my CoPR approved before Covid forced border closures. I kept on delaying my entry since my H1b visa stamp had expired. Fortunately, this year in April I was able to go to India, get the visa stamped and return just in time without any issues. I have a renewed CoPR which can not be extended anymore so I have to do the soft landing before the end of July. I was contemplating flying to Toronto but after reading a lot of experiences of people crossing the border through road, I believe that is a relatively hassle-free process. I plan on following what many have done here that is to cross the border by land, complete the formalities and come back to the US on the same day. From my understanding here are the documents I need to carry to complete the process -

1) CoPR and Passport with Canadian Visa.
2) A negative Covid Test conducted within 72 hours of border crossing.
3) Proof of funds (Pay stubs, bank statements etc).
4) GTF (Goods to Follow) form? I believe that's form BSF 186.

Some of the questions I have are as follows -

1) Do I have to make a quarantine plan for 14 days and do I have to register/submit any kind of documentation through the ArriveCAN app? My understanding is if I am crossing by road, I don't have to book anything on the Canadian side neither do I have to download or submit any documentation with respect to the ArriveCAN app.

2) Would the PR actually be processed if we return to the US? I believe this entire process is just to formalize the soft landing and they won't initiate the proceedings for actually printing a PR. Not sure if I have to submit a Canadian address.

3)Regarding the GTF form, I've read/heard conflicting versions. Some have mentioned that I don't have to submit a GTF form unless I am moving permanently while some have mentioned that they submitted the form regardless.

4) If I take a rental car across the border, are there any complications that might arise due to it?

5) Any form of documentation that I might have missed earlier?

I am thinking about making the soft landing through Niagara falls in a couple of weeks. Hence, any help or clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: nwo4lyf

nsadhwani

Jun 4, 2021
Hello, did you receive any replies about your queries? I don't see any here, but maybe other forums or through friends? I am planning to do a soft landing this weekend and share almost all of these concerns. Please let me know. Thank you.

nowwinaditya

Jun 1, 2021
Thanks for the assumption. I had specific questions about GTF, ArriveCan app if you're driving and a couple of more. I thought it would be better to start a new thread for maximum visibility.

Thanks for replying though. Appreciate your help.

Reactions: nsadhwani

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
@nowwinaditya Hello ,Did you land? I am also planning to take cross border taxi from Niagara/Buffalo and return to US the same day. I would like to know you experience with taxi.

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
I would like to hear your experience too. I am also planning to take the same route.
When are you planning btw?
I landed last week via Rainbow bridge pedestrian pathway.
I am no expert, but I see your COPR expiry is 2022, I think you should wait till border opens up if you are planning for soft landing. I was specifically asked my COPR expiry date before I was even let in to the main building. I had just 3 days left for expiry and they allowed me in for soft landing.

Your soft landing could be denied when Canada website clearly says 'you should come to Canada to with an intent to settle'. Also you don't have the excuse of COPR expiring soon.
Again, I am no expert here.

Going2Can

Jun 25, 2020
I am no expert, but I see your COPR expiry is 2022, I think you should wait till border opens up if you are planning for soft landing. I was specifically asked my COPR expiry date before I was even let in to the main building. I had just 3 days left for expiry and they allowed me in for soft landing.

Your soft landing could be denied when Canada website clearly says 'you should come to Canada to with an intent to settle'. Also you don't have the excuse of COPR expiring soon.
I understand.
But I am planning to do the soft landing before schools open in US and winter kicks in. My CoPR is expiring in 03/2022, not too long.

Did anyone in here did soft landing with a not-so-soon expiring CoPR?

Also, I heard Canada is planning to reopen the borders for fully vaccinated Americans in Mid-Aug. Any info on this?

junkie999

Aug 19, 2019

Wondering if you have posted your full experience some place??

nowwinaditya

Jun 1, 2021
I ended up doing my soft landing on June 19th through the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. The process was pretty smooth. The documents that I took were as follows -

4) BSF 186, BSF 186A (Took an extra blank copy just in case needed)

I drove from Detroit around 4:00 PM evening. Crossed the bridge and the officer on the Canadian side greeted me and was very cordial. I did tell him that I am in Canada only to complete the PR formalities and I am returning to the US on the same day. He asked me only for my Covid Test and once that was verified, he directed me to go to the customs/immigration building. I went there and was the only one in the building at the time.

The immigration officer came, checked my records and issued me the yellow slip saying that I am a permanent resident now. She did not accept the GTF form and said that I will have to fill it out only when I am moving to Canada permanently. She also did not accept the Canadian address that I gave. After that process was complete, I was let go and upon arrival in the US, I showed them my valid visa. There was a minor complication in my case with the last stamp upon my arrival in the US missing hence I had to go through the CBP post again. They asked me the usual questions such as the purpose of visit, occupation etc. That got done without any issue and the entire process was complete within 45 minutes.

The only document that I was asked to show (besides CoPR and Passport) was the Covid test. Hopefully, this helps.

Going2Can

Jun 25, 2020
I ended up doing my soft landing on June 19th through the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. The process was pretty smooth. The documents that I took were as follows -

4) BSF 186, BSF 186A (Took an extra blank copy just in case needed)

I drove from Detroit around 4:00 PM evening. Crossed the bridge and the officer on the Canadian side greeted me and was very cordial. I did tell him that I am in Canada only to complete the PR formalities and I am returning to the US on the same day. He asked me only for my Covid Test and once that was verified, he directed me to go to the customs/immigration building. I went there and was the only one in the building at the time.

The immigration officer came, checked my records and issued me the yellow slip saying that I am a permanent resident now. She did not accept the GTF form and said that I will have to fill it out only when I am moving to Canada permanently. She also did not accept the Canadian address that I gave. After that process was complete, I was let go and upon arrival in the US, I showed them my valid visa. There was a minor complication in my case with the last stamp upon my arrival in the US missing hence I had to go through the CBP post again. They asked me the usual questions such as the purpose of visit, occupation etc. That got done without any issue and the entire process was complete within 45 minutes.

The only document that I was asked to show (besides CoPR and Passport) was the Covid test. Hopefully, this helps.
Congratulations,

If they did not accept the Canadian address, then how did you give an address to mail your PR card?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Congratulations,

If they did not accept the Canadian address, then how did you give an address to mail your PR card?
They didnt accept the address means that the office doesnt want to apply for PR card before moving permanently.
I think that now OP can update the address to get PR card or one can anyway apply for PR card after moving.