+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing experience

environmentree

Aug 11, 2019
Just wanted to share my experience of soft landing, I decided to do it at Minnesota border since I had lived in Minnesota before and knew the area. I had called the Canada border office and they said I can complete the landing and return to US on the same day.
Booked a flight to Minneapolis, rented a car and drove to the border (did 1 night halt inbetween). Crossed the border, it was virtually empty, just one car in front of me. Then it was my turn, I handed the COPR and passport and told I have come to finish the landing. The officer asked me wait, then after 10 min she asked me to pull over to the front of the building and wait for another 15 min. Then I was called into the building, asked some questions - why you are not moving now, whats your email address. phone number. Then another officer signed the COPR and asked me to initial in certain places and sign. She also asked to what address the PR card has to be mailed. I provided my friends address. Then she asked me go back to the car and wait. After 10-15 min 2 officers came to my car and said congratulations you are resident and your 5 year time period starts as of today. Then she showed me the way back to US.
Entry at US was empty. The officer asked how long I was employed with the company, then took my passport/I797 ( I had stamping) and asked me to pull over to the front. Then another officer came back in 5 min and handed over the passport and 797 and said I am good to go.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: INUSACA

umakanth12

May 10, 2021
Just wanted to share my experience of soft landing, I decided to do it at Minnesota border since I had lived in Minnesota before and knew the area. I had called the Canada border office and they said I can complete the landing and return to US on the same day.
Booked a flight to Minneapolis, rented a car and drove to the border (did 1 night halt inbetween). Crossed the border, it was virtually empty, just one car in front of me. Then it was my turn, I handed the COPR and passport and told I have come to finish the landing. The officer asked me wait, then after 10 min she asked me to pull over to the front of the building and wait for another 15 min. Then I was called into the building, asked some questions - why you are not moving now, whats your email address. phone number. Then another officer signed the COPR and asked me to initial in certain places and sign. She also asked to what address the PR card has to be mailed. I provided my friends address. Then she asked me go back to the car and wait. After 10-15 min 2 officers came to my car and said congratulations you are resident and your 5 year time period starts as of today. Then she showed me the way back to US.
Entry at US was empty. The officer asked how long I was employed with the company, then took my passport/I797 ( I had stamping) and asked me to pull over to the front. Then another officer came back in 5 min and handed over the passport and 797 and said I am good to go.
Hope this helps.
Congratulations!
May I as what was your answer to the question "why you are not moving now"

umakanth12

May 10, 2021
Thanks. I Said I have to finish up things in US and need few more months and will try to move by end of the year.
Sorry , one more question. Did you fill out any customs declaration form? I heard its called GTF or something but not sure. If yes, does it need to be done before we go to border and keep it handy.

environmentree

Aug 11, 2019
Sorry , one more question. Did you fill out any customs declaration form? I heard its called GTF or something but not sure. If yes, does it need to be done before we go to border and keep it handy.
I created a list of items that I might take when I move but they never asked about that. She told when importing car, look up the regulations in US and Canada side. Thats about it.

aditya_z

Nov 9, 2020
But you just came back to US after soft landing .. right ? So we do not necessarily need a SIN at this time ? And I assume you would have given some local Canadian address for them to mail the PR card?