+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

eeshan89

May 28, 2020
Hello everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone in this forum, especially this thread! I got to know of AVR from this thread and completed the process yesterday. If not for you all, I would have had a longer journey after PR processing in Canada to India, wait for H1-B appointment and then get back to US along with covid complications.

My experience:
I have an expired F1 visa. After F1, I have 2 H-1Bs with 2 employers but no visa stamping. Between end of F1 & start of H1-B I have a gap period which was filled by F1 OPT cap-gap. For these dates I only had I-20 & it was not on F1 visa.
I live in New England area and the Cornwall Port of Entry is my closest, since landing in Quebec is not an option. I drove in my car and it was a snowy/slushy/icy drive at 12 °F.

Canada side (Cornwall Port of Entry):
Entry Checkpoint:

1. Passport + CoPR. I mentioned I was there for PR processing only & will get back immediately.
2. Recent Covid testing certificate
3. ArriveCAN details with vaccination certificate
4. Asked for things that I carry. Answered orally: Documents, laptops, clothes(just in case), water, snacks, flashlight & batteries
5. Asked if I bought anything from duty free shops in Cornwall island (there's an island between the two border offices on the St. Lawrence river): Answered orally no
6. Asked for if carrying weapons or illegal: Answered orally no
7. Paid $3 for checkpoint pass
Then, I was directed to park car and enter office to proceed.

At Office:
1. CoPR+Passport
2. Asked if I was landing that day: mentioned I was soft landing. They were not aware of the "soft landing" lingo and clarified if I was getting back to US, answered yes.
3. Signed both copies of CoPR
4. Asked for my address and were ok with my US address. If anything, they said they'll email.
The PR card could arrive anytime between 6 weeks to 6 months depending on Covid.
That's it. They congratulated and I was good to go with my copy of signed CoPR & entry stamp on Passport.

Another $3 for wayback checkpoint pass

US side (Rooseveltown Port of Entry)
Entry Checkpoint:

1. Officer clarified the state of my car license plate as to confirm it was from US. It was partially covered in slush.
2. Passport & Driver's license for address
3. Asked for the reason for travel & where in Canada: Mentioned CoPR and the border office
4. Asked if I went anywhere else in Canada or buy anything. No
5. Asked if I was heading back home? Yes
6. Asked about expired F1 visa: I mentioned AVR & provided both I-797s from the two employers
7. Officer was concerned about the gap in F1 end date & H-1B start date. Asked to enter office for a quick check.

At Office:
The officer asked about the gap. I clarified OPT cap-gap using my last I-20 with the dates filling the gap. I was good to go.
No passport entry or new I-94.

Both the sides took less than 1.5 hours in total.
Hope this is useful! All the best!
Hello!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering if you actually received the PR card at your US address? Usually, I've heard people provide Canadian addresses so would love to know if the US address worked for you?

Thanks!

nehcan123

Mar 22, 2022
Hi - I did my soft landing last month. No GTF asked..

I am planning to visit Canada again (after getting my PR card) but not permanently yet. Will that be an issue?

yogi2022

Jan 17, 2022
Hello!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering if you actually received the PR card at your US address? Usually, I've heard people provide Canadian addresses so would love to know if the US address worked for you?

Thanks!
NO I have not recieved the card yet. They responded saying I will get when I move to Canada

yogi2022

Jan 17, 2022
Hi - I did my soft landing last month. No GTF asked..

I am planning to visit Canada again (after getting my PR card) but not permanently yet. Will that be an issue?
Should not be a problem. But please check with someone who has done it before

sidaksh

Oct 13, 2022
Hello ,
New member here. Received COPR and planning to soft land by road from Seattle. Would greatly appreciate any inputs on the below

- what is the ideal time to drive to the border? We are traveling with a newborn so want to make sure we don't get stuck
- Would there be any issue in taking our own car? Saw previous threads about requiring a VIN, how can I get that ?
- Planning to spend a week in BC and then return back to the US, would I be able to do that after soft landing ?
- Is address proof required for SIN and bank account opening? If yes, is it okay to give a friend's address ?
- Ircc website says covid test/vaccination proof not required ? Has anyone recently travelled to confirm this ?
- is the GTF form needed for soft landing ?
- We want to use AVR . I have a H1B with a valid I797 but an expired visa stamp and my wife's H1B got picked this time and her status changed from F1 to H1 from oct 1 2022 and has a valid I797. Can both of us use AVR to renter US ?

Thank you!

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
Hello ,
New member here. Received COPR and planning to soft land by road from Seattle. Would greatly appreciate any inputs on the below

- what is the ideal time to drive to the border? We are traveling with a newborn so want to make sure we don't get stuck
- Would there be any issue in taking our own car? Saw previous threads about requiring a VIN, how can I get that ?
- Planning to spend a week in BC and then return back to the US, would I be able to do that after soft landing ?
- Is address proof required for SIN and bank account opening? If yes, is it okay to give a friend's address ?
- Ircc website says covid test/vaccination proof not required ? Has anyone recently travelled to confirm this ?
- We want to use AVR . I have a H1B with a valid I797 but an expired visa stamp and my wife's H1B got picked this time and her status changed from F1 to H1 from oct 1 2022 and has a valid I797. Can both of us use AVR to renter US ?

Thank you!
what is the ideal time to drive to the border? We are traveling with a newborn so want to make sure we don't get stuck-

most of the boarders are open 24/7. Since you have a baby and you are driving from Seattle you can choose to travel in the morning

I don’t think you will have an issue with your own car. Call to your insurance guys and given them a heads up

Yes, you can
You can apply Sin online and have it delivered to your USA address one you complete your soft landing. Also, you can apply by visiting service centers . You can open bank account with your passport and make sure you say the banker that you are newcomer to Canada for offers

- Ircc website says covid test/vaccination proof not required ? Has anyone recently travelled to confirm this ? Not required
It’s always better to declare Gtf in excel sheet the things that you bring to Canada when you move permanently. Kindly declare as much as you can even you don’t possess the things now.

yes, both can travel as long as you are eligible for AVR

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello ,

Unless there are no cars / people ahead of you or the other lane/booth is clear, you wouldn't know you will be stuck for a long time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It’s always better to declare Gtf in excel sheet the things that you bring to Canada when you move permanently. Kindly declare as much as you can even you don’t possess the things now.
Incorrect. He can bring the gtf when he move in permanently. At soft landing, he declares as much as he posess things now including financial instruments over $10,000.

Nazzzz

Aug 17, 2023
We are planning for soft landing. But the flight ticket which we have booked are on one PNR i.e same ticket number for inbound and ourbound flights. We are unable to take printout of seprate tickets. Will it create problem in immigration process in canada? As we have to show the flight ticket and it will have return detail also...pls comment