Jan 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
20-04-2017
Hi all,

so I booked a flight to Toronto to make my soft landing, and I have a 5 hours layover in Montreal.
Does that mean I HAVE to do the landing process in Montreal?
If yes, can I get SIN there too?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You must complete your landing and clear customs at the first POE into Canada so Montreal. Be prepared to show that you have onward travel to Toronto else CBSA could refuse to land you. Cannot answer on the SIN at Montreal but that will be easy enough to get once in Toronto although as you will be arriving on a domestic flight probably not at the airport.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
What Bs65 said.

You MUST declare PR in Montreal as you will be arriving at the international terminal.

The flight from Montreal to Toronto will go via a domestic terminal with no facilities to declare PR.

Don't worry about the SIN, you will have your hands full declaring PR and changing flights in Montreal. You can get eh SIN at any Services Canada office anytime. Get over your jet lag and sort the SIN out in the days after landing.

ppuu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2018
hi ,
as Qubec is in another PR stream- can normal EE stream PR land in Montreal and apply PR from there?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
hi ,
as Qubec is in another PR stream- can normal EE stream PR land in Montreal and apply PR from there?
Sure you can complete a PR landing at Montreal but you MUST be able to show onward travel out of Quebec else chances are your PR landing will be refused. If refused likely you will be allowed into the country just as a visitor and will then have to make arrangements to PR land outside of Quebec either at an IRCC office or through a border flagpole.

Reactions: ppuu

Yolandib

Mar 22, 2019
Hi guys. We are booking our flights from JHB to Edmonton soon. There is one flight available with a 20 hour layover in Montreal. We have 2 small kids so it seems like a good idea to use the long layover to book into an Airbnb to rest before the final flight to Edmonton. I see from the above posts that we will need to do our PR activation in Montreal, but will we be able to leave the airport and spend the night at an Airbnb?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys. We are booking our flights from JHB to Edmonton soon. There is one flight available with a 20 hour layover in Montreal. We have 2 small kids so it seems like a good idea to use the long layover to book into an Airbnb to rest before the final flight to Edmonton. I see from the above posts that we will need to do our PR activation in Montreal, but will we be able to leave the airport and spend the night at an Airbnb?
Yes. Would really consider booking an airport hotel. It will be easier and likely be cheaper after transport to an an Airbnb. You may only end up 15ish hours or less once once you leave the airport aNd when you have to return.