+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing in Canada

XYZ789

Apr 28, 2019
Dear all - Can anyone confirm if it is possible to do a soft landing in Canada, complete the landing paperwork and return on the next flight back to our home country?

We are currently looking at a flight, on the same day, 5 hours after we arrive. Would we be allowed to leave or will we need to self-isolate/quarantine for 14 days?

Might sound drastic, but flights are still going from where we live in Europe and we are unsure we can get an extension later. Our COPR expires on April 13th, and currently, we cannot take the risk of moving to Canada or spending 14+ days there given the risk of being stuck outside our home country for longer.

Any advise, suggestions or experiences will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Dear all - Can anyone confirm if it is possible to do a soft landing in Canada, complete the landing paperwork and return on the next flight back to our home country?

We are currently looking at a flight, on the same day, 5 hours after we arrive. Would we be allowed to leave or will we need to self-isolate/quarantine for 14 days?

Might sound drastic, but flights are still going from where we live in Europe and we are unsure we can get an extension later. Our COPR expires on April 13th, and currently, we cannot take the risk of moving to Canada or spending 14+ days there given the risk of being stuck outside our home country for longer.

Thanks!
Travelling in these times is a huge risk and doing so twice in a matter of 5 hours is even bigger. I understand the anxiety but you should probably look to get COPR extended. Given the situation IRCC will most likely extend COPR if you ask for it. Check their latest guidelines on their website.

Reactions: hinavin

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Thanks!
Agree with Cansha.

It sounds like your circumstances are with no other option. Which if you revisit...perhaps something might come out as a workable alternative? Let's assume nothing else is worksble anf you must travel, then youve got to do what youve got to do. Depending on age, vulnerability etc., the risk could be lesser or greater. But the risk remains grave. I doibt if you would get anyone saying, its cool just travel. Nor does anyone know of evolving rules that agents will need to follow in a couple of weeks from now.

Perhaps not the clarity you were looking for, but...

Best of luck to you and yours!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Thanks!
The challenge you might have and nobody here can really give an answer is that once you clear immigration and customs you exit into arrivals hall and go to departures level to checkin for your return flight given not same as a connection flight. So technically you are entering Canada and should be subject to 14 day quarantine no matter how small the risk might be of Infection the rules are in place for a reason.

.For sure if asked about your quarantine plan by CBSA you must provide an honest answer even if that answer you plan to leave same day.

It would be easy enough for anyone to lie, not saying in your case, that they are leaving on a flight straight away Staying in the airport but in fact they actually leave the airport for a while Which would be irresponsible

The only possible solution seems to be if there is an option to remain airside to checkin for the return flight but you would need to check with the airline if that is an option.

As said nobody here has an answer as different airports/ airlines can have different options and in the current emergency soft landings not necessarily a great idea.

Last edited:

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019

Thanks!
I’m sorry to scare you but are you 100% sure your COPRs would be extended?

Are you willing to risk all the work you’d done, the time and the money you’d spent to get the approval to become PRs of Canada?

Since there is currently no travel ban for approved Permanent Residents - AND you say your country’s borders are open - not travelling to Canada to complete your landing is your personal choice. Yes, there is a pandemic and you should take all the necessary precautions to stay safe, but you CAN tavel.

To convince you further, I got a reply from my visa office: my COPRs would not have been extended despite the coronavirus situation. Imagine that!

PS I completely understand your situation, since I landed around 10 days ago. I was able to leave the airport and fly the next day, because my travel back to my home country was essential travel.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I’m sorry to scare you but are you 100% sure your COPRs would be extended?

Are you willing to risk all the work you’d done, the time and the money you’d spent to get the approval to become PRs of Canada?

Since there is currently no travel ban for approved Permanent Residents - AND you say your country’s borders are open - not travelling to Canada to complete your landing is your personal choice. Yes, there is a pandemic and you should take all the necessary precautions to stay safe, but you CAN tavel.

To convince you further, I got a reply from my visa office: my COPRs would not have been extended despite the coronavirus situation. Imagine that!

PS I completely understand your situation, since I landed around 10 days ago. I was able to leave the airport and fly the next day, because my travel back to my home country was essential travel.
So you landed before or after the quarantine rule came into play ? If the latter you are saying that potentially you disobeyed the mandatory rule .with no regard for others ? Not sure how you consider it essential travel either essential to you maybe but not to Canada as a whole.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
So you landed before or after the quarantine rule came into play ? If the latter you are saying that potentially you disobeyed the mandatory rule .with no regard for others ? Not sure how you consider it essential travel either essential to you maybe but not to Canada as a whole.
We landed after the ban was announced but just before it came into effect.

At the time the self-isolation rule for newcomers was not legally enforced. We were not breaking the law. What is more, we checked it out with the immigration officer. While he advised us to take care and self-isolate for 14 days, he said we’d be okay to fly back asap as well. We self-isolated for a day then flew out.

I understand your concern given the situatoon. However, I am a law abiding and reasonable person. We took precautions, we kept our distance and did not stay out. Furthermore, you do not know our personal circumstances therefore I doubt how certain you can be that our travel was not essential.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
We landed after the ban was announced but just before it came into effect.

At the time the self-isolation rule for newcomers was not legally enforced. We were not breaking the law. What is more, we checked it out with the immigration officer. While he advised us to take care and self-isolate for 14 days, he said we’d be okay to fly back asap as well. We self-isolated for a day then flew out.

I understand your concern given the situatoon. However, I am a law abiding and reasonable person. We took precautions, we kept our distance and did not stay out. Furthermore, you do not know our personal circumstances therefore I doubt how certain you can be that our travel was not essential.
You should not take anything on here personally which based on your response you seem to be doing. There was zero intentaion to imply anyone was breaking any law but people can only make assumptions based on what people post sometimes complete sometimes only half complete.

As for essential travel granted nobody has any idea about personal circumstances but government definition of essential travel seems pretty clear now even some doubt whether a soft landing might currently be considered essential to travel to Canada at least.

Last edited:

XYZ789

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks for your responses everyone. I decided not to travel, and have taken the risk of requesting an extension. The response I have gotten states "we are verifying your documents and will get back to you soon" acknowledging that I could not travel due to the pandemic and my COPR has expired.

In one of the emails from the IRCC office in Paris, they even said that the extension will be automatic for 90 days but removed that sentence from later responses. Hopeful it will work out.. let's see