+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing from USA via Road

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Another one.. very old, but as you know nothing much changes in these developed countries for ages. If you dig this forum, I'm pretty sure you can find more.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/my-landing-experience-very-bad-need-some-advice-seniors-pls-help.38303/

I think it's more of following rules than being professional or rude. They cannot give someone hard time without a reason.

If you look at it logically, the ask makes sense given that there is no soft landing concept legally. You are a settler when you come first time and you are carrying a car that you own.

Anyways as I said earlier, many are left inside without many questions too even with personal car. I feel mostly the CBSA just excuses people in those cases because it being a common occurrence.
Thanks. That helped. So I see that CBSA guys are worried about a PR driving US plated car in Canada. I will keep this in mind and mention that I plan to turn around and return back to USA after finishing landing formalities.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks. That helped. So I see that CBSA guys are worried about a PR driving US plated car in Canada. I will keep this in mind and mention that I plan to turn around and return back to USA after finishing landing formalities.
Sounds good. I was about to suggest that to you.

To put it in simplest form, by taking personal car for soft landing (entering into Canada), we are trying to make an 'accompanying good' as 'goods to follow' which obviously doesn't sound right.

Also I'm not sure what have you planned on applying for SIN. Because land border doesn't have service Canada like airport, and you need to go fort eerie for that. It's around 5 KMS from the border. You might have to figure out something for that.. like taking taxi or Uber. In that case, your car might cause headache to you as CBSA may not allow it as parking space.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sounds good. I was about to suggest that to you.

To put it in simplest form, by taking personal car for soft landing (entering into Canada), we are trying to make an 'accompanying good' as 'goods to follow' which obviously doesn't sound right.

Also I'm not sure what have you planned on applying for SIN. Because land border doesn't have service Canada like airport, and you need to go fort eerie for that. It's around 5 KMS from the border. You might have to figure out something for that.. like taking taxi or Uber. In that case, your car might cause headache to you as CBSA may not allow it as parking space.
Not planning to apply for SIN this time. Will apply for SIN in next visit or permanent move.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Cool. You'd need that if you want to apply for jobs.. just in case you aren't aware.
"Apply for jobs" OR "before accepting a job offer"?

I thought an employer would only need SIN to start background check ( which happens after job offer) and payroll setup.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
In my opinion, I think the distinction for you would be that there is no such thing as soft landing. Once you land as a permanent resident, you are permanent resident. Soft landing (if there is any) does not preclude you from becoming a permanent resident.

It is black and white when it comes to doing landing as permanent resident, you either land as permanent resident or you do not.

Look into importing your car via the Goods to follow list which would help you save on meager taxes if the car qualifies under NAFTA.

Last edited:

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
In my opinion, I think the distinction for you would be that there is no such thing as soft landing. Once you land as a permanent resident, you are permanent resident. Soft landing (if there is any) does not preclude you from becoming a permanent resident.

It is black and white when it comes to doing landing as permanent resident, you either land as permanent resident or you do not.

Look into importing your car via the Goods to follow list which would help you save on meager taxes if the car qualifies under NAFTA.
Hello All,

I am planning to move to Canada in July 2018. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following.

1) Has anyone actually gone through the process of importing car? I read various posts and official websites CSBA / RIV /CBP AES etc. But I came out more confused than I went in. Is there any way I can calculate how much $$ I need to pay for Import Tax/GST ?
2) I drive a 2011 Subaru Forester, it has Kms below the Miles on speedometer. But the Odometer registers in miles - Is there a way that we can switch it to Kilometers - or does it not matter ?
3) How do you move your money from US to Canada? Using apps like Xoom?
4) Is it advisable to still continue using American Credit Cards, Bank Accounts or do we close them?
5) Same for HSA account in US, and Life Insurance Policies from LIC in India. Close it or let it be?

I was originally planning to do a soft landing in Feb/March with my wife (I am the Primary Applicant) to trigger our SIN/PR/Open Canadian Bank accounts etc. But I realized that my wife who graduated in May 2017 doesn't have F1 stamp on her visa. She has H4 stamped and we did H4-> F1 (COS) she also have an old F2 stamp. Do you think if we do a soft landing in march then she won't be able to enter back in US? or can we show COS i765 + OPT card in lieu of a F1 Visa Stamp?

P.S - How hard is it for newcomers to get auto loan / mortgage in Canada?

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
I did import my car from USA to Canada. You can get the details here...

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/

Hello All,

I am planning to move to Canada in July 2018. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following.

1) Has anyone actually gone through the process of importing car? I read various posts and official websites CSBA / RIV /CBP AES etc. But I came out more confused than I went in. Is there any way I can calculate how much $$ I need to pay for Import Tax/GST ?
2) I drive a 2011 Subaru Forester, it has Kms below the Miles on speedometer. But the Odometer registers in miles - Is there a way that we can switch it to Kilometers - or does it not matter ?
4) Is it advisable to still continue using American Credit Cards, Bank Accounts or do we close them?
5) Same for HSA account in US, and Life Insurance Policies from LIC in India. Close it or let it be?

I was originally planning to do a soft landing in Feb/March with my wife (I am the Primary Applicant) to trigger our SIN/PR/Open Canadian Bank accounts etc. But I realized that my wife who graduated in May 2017 doesn't have F1 stamp on her visa. She has H4 stamped and we did H4-> F1 (COS) she also have an old F2 stamp. Do you think if we do a soft landing in march then she won't be able to enter back in US? or can we show COS i765 + OPT card in lieu of a F1 Visa Stamp?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hello All,

You might want to start a new thread to get better responses.

#2. My Honda Civic has switch to flip Miles to Kms.

Reactions: Kuchbhi

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Just fyi - In easy, only queenston-lewiston bridge does the export import of the car. You cannot import the car in Peace bridge and rainbow bridge.
Regarding softlanding - There s no official concept such as softlanding. Also please do not tell the officer that you are doing softlanding. They will keep your process pending sometimes.
SIN, Bank accounts - These can be started during softlanding.
DL, OHIP - Cannot be done during softlanding as address proof is required.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016

It does not matter....

You can easily do account to account transfer.

You can use it. Just inform the bank.

Call them and check. In case you are going back later.

Reactions: Kuchbhi

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Just fyi - In easy, only queenston-lewiston bridge does the export import of the car. You cannot import the car in Peace bridge and rainbow bridge.
Regarding softlanding - There s no official concept such as softlanding. Also please do not tell the officer that you are doing softlanding. They will keep your process pending sometimes.
My friend told me that I should get the insurance and driving history from US and visit Services Ontario. They'll provide a Canadian DL without testing etc. - but I guess they'll need an address proof regardless.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi.. if we are not supposed to tell them that we are soft landing, what should we say when asked about plans of moving to Canada? I am planning to do soft landing.. just visit CBSA at the border, complete landing and return back to US. I presume there is no option to say otherwise.