+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing experience via Detroit - Windsor Tunnel - Dec 2020

kaur1990

Jun 12, 2019
Hi Everyone, Thanks for sharing your experiences:
I am planning to do soft landing in 2 weeks. Can somone please share their experience for following 3 queries:
1) If air bnb booking is mandatory even though we want to return same day back to US?
2) Do we have to take Covid Test in US before doing soft landing in Canada?
3) How to convince the officer that we will be coming back to Canada in couple of months and now are here only for soft landing to register our PR?
4) What time of day is best for soft landing and are they open on Saturday and Sunday?

Last edited:

J8ballo$

Mar 11, 2021
Hi Everyone, Thanks for sharing your experiences:
I am planning to do soft landing in 2 weeks. Can somone please share their experience for following 3 queries:
1) If air bnb booking is mandatory even though we want to return same day back to US?
I booked with the options to cancel incase not being allowed to make a U turn.
2) Do we have to take Covid Test in US before doing soft landing in Canada?
I did mine as it was a mandatory requirement.
3) How to convince the officer that we will be coming back to Canada in couple of months and now are here only for soft landing to register our PR?
Be straightforward that you are not moving as of this time, just doing the confirmation of permanent residency and plan to go back to US after. Of course, i bring all the stuff that i need in the next 14 days incase i will not be allowed. I even have my 2 dogs with me!
Based on my experience, if you are ready for all options, you are more comfortable and convincing!

4) What time of day is best for soft landing and are they open on Saturday and Sunday?
I did mine last Sunday march 21.

Reactions: the_masterpiece

kaur1990

Jun 12, 2019
@J8ballo$ Thanks for your response and sharing your experience, 1) Can you please let us know which Covid Test is required for enter to Canada. Should we do PCR Test only or can also go with Rapid Diagnostic Test?
2) Also can you please guide should we go via Windsor-Detroit Tunnel OR Windor-Ambassdor bridge

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
@J8ballo$ Thanks for your response and sharing your experience, 1) Can you please let us know which Covid Test is required for enter to Canada. Should we do PCR Test only or can also go with Rapid Diagnostic Test?
2) Also can you please guide should we go via Windsor-Detroit Tunnel OR Windor-Ambassdor bridge
Acceptable tests are listed here. And rapid test is not accepted.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/driving-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-driving

Apr 11, 2019
This is really helpful. Thank you so much. I am planning to travel on thweekend. If you can spare a couple of minutes, can you please answer the following questions.
1. Is it mandatory to submit our details via ArriveCan?
2. Are we allowed to apply for the SIN at the border?
I really appreciate your help and time. Thanks a lot.
Congratulations on becoming a permanent resident of Canada!

Mani_1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2019
This is really helpful. Thank you so much. I am planning to travel on thweekend. If you can spare a couple of minutes, can you please answer the following questions.
1. Is it mandatory to submit our details via ArriveCan?
2. Are we allowed to apply for the SIN at the border?
I really appreciate your help and time. Thanks a lot.
Congratulations on becoming a permanent resident of Canada!
ArriveCan though not mentioned on this link it says to have it
Use ArriveCAN if you are entering Canada by land or marine vessel - Canada.ca

SIN is applied only after landing, on border there is no option.

Others can add if anything has changed

Reactions: the_masterpiece

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hello All,

Me and my husband are planning to do soft landing via detroit-windsor border very soon and we have our copr valid until May 19. We are planning to return the same day via u-turn. We both still have valid US visa stamped until september 2021, and my husband also has i797Approval until 2022. We are also taking our baby with us less than 2 years old.
I have few questions, please advise:

1. We are scared that what if the Uturn is not allowed and we are supposed to stay in a hotel?
2. We will take negative covid tests with us and also we are planning to go after our vacccination, do you think vaccination would help us with allowing an u-turn?
3. With our US visa statuses above, will there be any issue when we are coming back?
4. We are planning to go with a rental car from costco, should that be fine?
5. I heard peace bridge is better than windsor border, is it true?

Thanks in advance.