+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing experience via Detroit - Windsor Tunnel - Dec 2020

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
We have completed our landing process and returned to the U.S. on the 25th of Dec.

Canada Side:

Officer1: Why are you here?
Me: We are confirmed permanents residents and are here to complete our landing procedure.
Officer1: Are you permanently today?
Me: No. We would like to return to the U.S.
Officer1: What are you carrying in your car?
Me: Snacks and backpacks
Officer told us that next time we need to submit the B4 form and gave us the yellow slip and asked us to give it to the next officer. Didn't look into our Goods to Follow documents.

Officer2 took our documents and asked us whether we are moving in on the same day to which we responded No and said that we are planning to move next year after March. He asked for the address to send the PR cards. While giving the address he asked whether we would be staying there to which we responded that currently my friend is living and we would live in the same place once we move permanently. He didn't take the Goods to Follow list from us and said they would accept the B4 form only when we move permanently and the same will be added as a note in the system. We signed the documents and he went inside the office stamped our passports, attached the document, and showed us the way to take a U-turn towards the U.S. side.

U.S. side:

Told the officer that we went to Canada to complete our PR landing process. He asked whether we have a valid U.S. visa? We answered yes and handed over our passports with valid H1B and H4 stampings. He asked about my work and the city I live in to which I responded. He returned our passports and said we are good to go.

Note:
- They didn't ask about my car. I carried the registration receipt as my car is under finance and the title is with the lien holder.
- Seems like CBSA officers are aware of the soft-landing and no one asked Why.
- Total process took around 35 mins (both Canada and the U.S)

Thank you everyone here for responding to my earlier queries. It helped a lot in my planning for this trip.

sk2701

Oct 22, 2020
Hi,

Firstly, congratulations. I reside in US and I am planning to do a soft landing.

- May I know if you have filled "ArriveCan" and provided quarantine plans upon soft landing?
- Did the officers accept your friends address to send the PR card?

Thanks!

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hello @sk2701,

Thank you.

1) No, I haven't filled ArriveCan and also didn't plan for any quarantine plans because our plan was to return to the U.S. on the same day.
2) Yes, they accepted my friend's address. However, they asked whether we would stay there to which we responded Yes once we move permanently.

sk2701

Oct 22, 2020
Hello @sk2701,

Thank you.

1) No, I haven't filled ArriveCan and also didn't plan for any quarantine plans because our plan was to return to the U.S. on the same day.
2) Yes, they accepted my friend's address. However, they asked whether we would stay there to which we responded Yes once we move permanently.
Thank you.

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
Thank you so much! After reading your post and a few others, I have done mine at Peace Arch as well by land.
Hey Buddy, Nice to see someone who has completed soft landing at Peace Bridge. We are planning to do soft landing in March. Was the process smooth? Or were they hesitant to activate the PR. What about the goods to follow list? Are there any covid test reports required before hand to enter? Did you return back the same day? Please share your experience. Your response is much appreciated.

1Humanity

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
25/01/2020
We have completed our landing process and returned to the U.S. on the 25th of Dec.

Canada Side:

Me: We are confirmed permanents residents and are here to complete our landing procedure.
Officer told us that next time we need to submit the B4 form and gave us the yellow slip and asked us to give it to the next officer. Didn't look into our Goods to Follow documents.

Officer2 took our documents and asked us whether we are moving in on the same day to which we responded No and said that we are planning to move next year after March. He asked for the address to send the PR cards. While giving the address he asked whether we would be staying there to which we responded that currently my friend is living and we would live in the same place once we move permanently. He didn't take the Goods to Follow list from us and said they would accept the B4 form only when we move permanently and the same will be added as a note in the system. We signed the documents and he went inside the office stamped our passports, attached the document, and showed us the way to take a U-turn towards the U.S. side.

U.S. side:

Told the officer that we went to Canada to complete our PR landing process. He asked whether we have a valid U.S. visa? We answered yes and handed over our passports with valid H1B and H4 stampings. He asked about my work and the city I live in to which I responded. He returned our passports and said we are good to go.

Note:
- They didn't ask about my car. I carried the registration receipt as my car is under finance and the title is with the lien holder.

Thank you everyone here for responding to my earlier queries. It helped a lot in my planning for this trip.
Very happy it went well for you. i have received PPR approval after March 18 and is willing to land permanently. Do you think your process could work for me as well. I have a B1 US visa and is not living there currently. The plan is to pay a visit to relatives in the US for a month then go to Canada to complete the landing and stay there. Thank you in advance.

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019

Canada Side:

U.S. side:

Note:

Reading your post, I assume that your COPR landing date was not expired.
I had my COPR approved before Mar 2020 and it expired in June 2020..I was unwilling to travel earlier during the time of covid and had received a response that mail us when you are ready to travel..I had filed a ircc webform in September 2020 that I was ready to travel now but I was unaware of the 4 pointer mail that ppl were receiving..I didn’t want to actively pursue on my ircc webform request sent in September as I was awaiting for the travel restrictions to be lifted

I have recently received a response to my September 2020 ircc webform request..It’s the 4 pointer mail and need to be replied within 10 days...I am currently not looking to travel permanently but was planning to do a soft landing via Buffalo and return the same day.

The 4 pointer mail discourages for a temporary move now. Would there be any issue in obtaining the PR card later if I do return.
Or should I send them a mail, that I will wait till travel restrictions will be lifted

leoMessi927

May 13, 2019
I had my COPR approved before Mar 2020 and it expired in June 2020..I was unwilling to travel earlier during the time of covid and had received a response that mail us when you are ready to travel..I had filed a ircc webform in September 2020 that I was ready to travel now but I was unaware of the 4 pointer mail that ppl were receiving..I didn’t want to actively pursue on my ircc webform request sent in September as I was awaiting for the travel restrictions to be lifted

I have recently received a response to my September 2020 ircc webform request..It’s the 4 pointer mail and need to be replied within 10 days...I am currently not looking to travel permanently but was planning to do a soft landing via Buffalo and return the same day.

The 4 pointer mail discourages for a temporary move now. Would there be any issue in obtaining the PR card later if I do return.
Or should I send them a mail, that I will wait till travel restrictions will be lifted
Hey, I am in similar situation. What are you planning on doing? I have received the email too and they are asking if I can travel soon. What happens if I say yes but then fail to travel. If I do travel, can I do a soft landing?

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Very happy it went well for you. i have received PPR approval after March 18 and is willing to land permanently. Do you think your process could work for me as well. I have a B1 US visa and is not living there currently. The plan is to pay a visit to relatives in the US for a month then go to Canada to complete the landing and stay there. Thank you in advance.
Yes, I think you should be okay.

Reactions: 1Humanity

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020

Yes, that's correct. I had my soft landing completed before the COPR expiry.

I remember some posts from users in this forum similar to your situation. I encourage you to please go through the posts. I'll post here if I find any.

Mani_1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2019

Canada Side:

U.S. side:

Note:

Thanks for posting this, its helping others now to plan.

Is the Covid /PCR test required if driving and doing soft landing?
Can you apply Canada's SIN remotely?

Pmovcan21

Dec 22, 2020
Hello peacefulpal,
Thanks for sharing the most useful information.
Recently I got my copr and I'm planning to do softlanding at Detroit windsor tunnel and wants to return same day to USA.
1.My question is do we need to follow any specific lane at the detroit tunnel( from us side) to reach cbsa officer to complete the process or we can drive our car in any lane? .
2.Also can I drive my own car (financed) to cross the border and make a u-turn and comeback .
3. For getting the PR card you have mentioned that you gave your friends address. In Addressee name you gave yours or friend name ?
4. Since we're planning to return same day ,can I carry snacks with me because I have a kid so for feeding I wants to carry some packet snacks. Is it allowed?
5. Did you apply sin (social insurance no) on the same day or we can do that online as well ?

Thanks in advance!

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
1.My question is do we need to follow any specific lane at the detroit tunnel( from us side) to reach cbsa officer to complete the process or we can drive our car in any lane? .
1. You can drive to any lane.
2.Also can I drive my own car (financed) to cross the border and make a u-turn and comeback .
Yes, I drove my financed car. They didn't ask me about any documents.
3. For getting the PR card you have mentioned that you gave your friends address. In Addressee name you gave yours or friend name ?
Yes, I mentioned my friend's address. No, they didn't ask my friend's name because PR cards would be mailed out in the applicant's name.
4. Since we're planning to return same day ,can I carry snacks with me because I have a kid so for feeding I wants to carry some packet snacks. Is it allowed?
Yes, you can carry snacks and other food items. We did the same.
5. Did you apply sin (social insurance no) on the same day or we can do that online as well ?
No, I didn't apply for SIN. Sorry, not sure about applying it online.

Pmovcan21

Dec 22, 2020
1. You can drive to any lane.
Yes, I drove my financed car. They didn't ask me about any documents.
Yes, I mentioned my friend's address. No, they didn't ask my friend's name because PR cards would be mailed out in the applicant's name.
Yes, you can carry snacks and other food items. We did the same.
No, I didn't apply for SIN. Sorry, not sure about applying it online.
@peacefulpal : thanks a lot for your time and effort on clarifying my questions. Thanks!

Reactions: peacefulpal