+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing during COVID-19 situation

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
I was able to call and talk to someone at CBSA. She said that if I attempt to cross, they will likely not grant an interview at this time, i.e. my situation is not essential travel. I plan to communicate my questions/concerns directly with IRCC via their message portal ... https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Their turn-around is up to a week. I'll circle back here with feedback once I hear from them.

Reactions: Rawhide

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
Appreciate the comments on CBSA being the authority, good to know. Patience is a virtue, one I need to latch onto right now. Definitely won't fabricate a story, that's a very slippery slope. Thanks again folks!

RajSin

Apr 2, 2020
I have a question! WHY is almost everyone here in the forum saying that Soft Landing is NOT an essential travel? I already wrote to IRCC and this is what they wrote back to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CE CSC Do Not Reply / Ne Pas Repondre CSC EC (IRCC) <IRCC.CECSCDoNotReply-NePasRepondreCSCEC.IRCC@cic.gc.ca>
Sat, Mar 28, 8:51 PM (5 days ago)
to me
UN MESSAGE EN FRANÇAIS SUIVRA.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Coronavirus - Approved PRs

We verified the information you provided. The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on IRCC clients.

If you are outside Canada:

On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada. The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.
If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.
Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.
We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone having a CoPR is now exempt and can land in Canada. As far as the question about self-isolating for 14 days in concerned, I think that is necessary. Even I was planning on not exiting the airport and returning back the next day. But after reading the comments here, I think that's not possible.

But here's the thing.... you either land and self-isolate for 14 days (if you can), or lose your PR. Because after receiving so many requests from thousands of applicants with CoPRs, the ONLY ACTION IRCC took was to add us to the EXEMPTION LIST. So my understanding here is, if you don't land before your VISA expires, you are choosing to give up your PR!

COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS are welcome!

• Wow
Reactions: REEBU

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
IRCC doesn’t control the border. CBSA. does and they determine what is essential or allowed. IRCC has only indicated their allowances, not CBSA. Read this post about whether CBSA feels landings are essential.

“was able to call and talk to someone at CBSA. She said that if I attempt to cross, they will likely not grant an interview at this time, i.e. my situation is not essential travel. I plan to communicate my questions/concerns directly with IRCC via their message portal ... https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Their turn-around is up to a week. I'll circle back here with feedback once I hear from them.”

Mr.Worldwide

Nov 25, 2019
I am a new immigrate and will land in may with COPR. Then will go on 14 days isolation. My question is who will monitor the isolation? Will the govt select the isolation place or its on me?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am a new immigrate and will land in may with COPR. Then will go on 14 days isolation. My question is who will monitor the isolation? Will the govt select the isolation place or its on me?
Whether there is actual monitoring is not really relevant it would be your responsibility to follow the rules of your new country and there may be spot checks nobody knows . Isolation is your responsibility to find a place to stay And you are not supposed to use public transport or stop off on the way.

Be aware that should someone be found to not be following the isolation guideline they risk an up to 750k fine or 6 months in jail And even more severe if knowingly has COVID and does not quarantine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryeCatcher

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You do it because # 1 you don’t want to potentially spread the virus, get someone sick and possibly die, that’s the main priority
#2- It’s THE LAW
I think if the Government believes new arrivals, are putting others at risk, and not following the quarantine rules, they’ll just postpone people from landing

Mr.Worldwide

Nov 25, 2019
Whether there is actual monitoring is not really relevant it would be your responsibility to follow the rules of your new country and there may be spot checks nobody knows . Isolation is your responsibility to find a place to stay And you are not supposed to use public transport or stop off on the way.

Be aware that should someone be found to not be following the isolation guideline they risk an up to 750k fine or 6 months in jail And even more severe if knowingly has COVID and does not quarantine.
Noted. Thank you very much. But i think one can go out to buy food and essential stuff right?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Noted. Thank you very much. But i think one can go out to buy food and essential stuff right?
NO. Quarantine means exactly that no outside interaction otherwise what’s the point

Its different for people already in the country they are allowed limited trips out but not new arrivals into the country which why not a good time for any new arrivals unless they have a support network in Canada who can complete tasks such as shopping for them

https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/self-isolation-instructions-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx#2-I-have-recently-travelled-anywhere-outside-of-Canada-including-the-United-States-of-America-

Last edited:

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
I have been looking into this myself and would say that landing for PR before your COPR runs out is pretty much up there on the list of essential travel and I would argue that point with anyone including the CBSA. I agree however that it's not clear about how 14 days isolation requirement would work for soft landings. My thoughts are that you would isolate for your time in Canada up to a maximum of 14 days. If it was your intention to land and immediately fly back the same day then short of detaining you I can't see how they could force you to stay in Canada for 14 days.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I have been looking into this myself and would say that landing for PR before your COPR runs out is pretty much up there on the list of essential travel and I would argue that point with anyone including the CBSA. I agree however that it's not clear about how 14 days isolation requirement would work for soft landings. My thoughts are that you would isolate for your time in Canada up to a maximum of 14 days. If it was your intention to land and immediately fly back the same day then short of detaining you I can't see how they could force you to stay in Canada for 14 days.
Of course they cannot force you to stay and may well be glad that someone leaves as soon as possible but thats obviously not the point of quarantine given potential exposure to anyone no matter the timeline and it is a personal responsibility to obey the rules. Penalties for not obeying the quarantine order are only likely to get more severe if discovered, although how likely being discovered would be debatable but thats not the point as its called being responsible

As for essential travel again not clear whether CBSA would consider a soft landing versus a permanent one way landing as essential but everyone has their own view of what’s essential to them as opposed to officialdoms view possibly whether essential or not to Canada at this stage of the pandemic. Nobody here can give a definitive answer as nobody knows beyond the confusing published documentation

As for arguing with CBSA hopefully that was said in jest as not a good idea In the current situation or any situation for that matter. CBSA have been given specific set of guidelines on who should on arrival go to quarantine or not probably with very little discretion and new immigrants are unlikely to be subject to any exception criteria.

Nobody here really knows unless working for CBSA or the Government whether 14 days is negotiable provided someone quarantines for whole time in the country travels straight to accommodation and straight back to the airport observing social distance at all times. After all this is possibly what airline crews are obliged to do, being ferried to hotel and locked in until they return to airport thus minimising any contact Usually within 24 hours.

Maybe What everyone should do is to contact CBSA before travelling if possible or contact their airline to see if it is possible to stay airside to checkin for the return if same day given once you leave the customs hall then in effect you have entered the country. If remaining airside then it could be said you are in a sterile area mixing with other outbound passengers .

We can all speculate here on what may or may not happen which is all I am doing but until someone actually attempts a same day landing under the emergency rules or even a day or two then that’s all this is speculation So should be read as such

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Anyone entering Canada (that means customs and immigration) is under a mandatory quarantine order for 14 days, unless exempt. It’s not self isolating, it’s quarantine. As soon as you enter customs you are subject to the requirement.

As for arguing with CBSA, as BS65 mentioned, not a good plan. CBSA has broad and discretionary powers that pretty much entitle each individual officer to make his own decisions. Best to avoid any conflict with them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to have anything you need delivered to your address and left for you so there is no interaction with the delivery person. Canada is getting more strict since some people have not gone into full quarantine and have off to exercise or to get food.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
OK, STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH - Just spoke on the phone to a CBSA agent and his view was that arriving with a COPR was fine but they would not look upon a soft landing as essential travel. Arriving to land and stay would be deemed OK. The 14 day quarantine is non negotiable and staying in the airport and getting the next plane home is a no no. He just said refer to IRCC about expiring COPR's . I suppose if you were desperate you could arrive on a one way ticket be holed up for 2 weeks and then try and get a return flight- if available. It will be interesting to see how IRCC handle COPR extensions, as it's been suggested that if you can travel and land, which is currently the case then why should IRCC grant extensions anyway.

shatufsahib

Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
Mt visa and copr is expiring may 4th. I want to know has anyone from the forum recently immigrated to Canada during the current covid 19 pandemic than please share your experience. I am thinking to do soft landing and than come back with pr card because I think this problem will prolong