+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing during COVID-19 situation

mod_hood

Mar 28, 2020
I have my COPR approved and landing visa valid until 02 May 2020. Can I soft land in Canada ? Can all procedures be completed inside the airport and I can leave back to USA without going out of the airport ? is self quarantine required if I do not leave the airport ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Personal view but the moment you pass through immigration and customs away from airside you will be in Canada even if in arrivals hall and then departures hall therefore subject to the self isolation. Not sure that a return flight would be considered a flight that would come under the connecting /transit banner at a connections desk without having to exit immigration/customs and proceed to a checkin desk then back through security and US CBP at the airport

Really you need to check with your airline what is possible for the return but you should maybe expect to be subject to being questioned by CBSA what your isolation plans are. It really is not a good time to travel to Canada for any reason unless deemed essential, a soft landing not considered essential possibly by Canada or the US on the return.

As per all the other posts/answers here raise a web form to be registered in the system as having potential travel issues

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Personal view but the moment you pass through immigration and customs away from airside you will be in Canada even if in arrivals hall and then departures hall therefore subject to the self isolation. Not sure that a return flight would be considered a flight that would come under the connecting /transit banner at a connections desk without having to exit immigration/customs and proceed to a checkin desk then back through security and US CBP at the airport

Really you need to check with your airline what is possible for the return but you should maybe expect to be subject to being questioned by CBSA what your isolation plans are. It really is not a good time to travel to Canada for any reason unless deemed essential, a soft landing not considered essential possibly by Canada or the US on the return.

As per all the other posts/answers here raise a web form to be registered in the system as having potential travel issues
Once you leave customs immigration you’re in Canada .
Least in Toronto , you arrive downstairs on arrivals , then up two levels, to find the US customs area and que up there
For US customs you’d be pushing the proverbial envelope in having them believe a soft landing was essential.

Melichatone

Mar 28, 2020
Belgium
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris VAC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-07-2019
File Transfer...
26-07-2019
Med's Done....
17-05-2019
Passport Req..
17-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2020
Hello everyone, I'm in the same situation but I'm wondering about the duration of the quarantine.
I will land on April 5 and return to my home country on April 6, so the next day.
I'm going to sleep one night in a hotel near the airport.
I'm wondering about the quarantine of 14 days since we will only stay one night. Is this a problem?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm in the same situation but I'm wondering about the duration of the quarantine.
I will land on April 5 and return to my home country on April 6, so the next day.
I'm going to sleep one night in a hotel near the airport.
I'm wondering about the quarantine of 14 days since we will only stay one night. Is this a problem?
Others can comment as well reading the instruction it reads as though 14 days is mandatory for anyone arriving in the country given doesnt matter how long someone is in Canada they could pass on COVID or pass it on on the return flight hence the 14 days isolation to ensure someone is clear..

Also note that there is a possibility that a soft landing may not be considered essential travel. which combined is not really a good time for anyone to travel to Canada at this time. Only CBSA could give you a definitive answer though not a public forum

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/03/new-order-makes-self-isolation-mandatory-for-individuals-entering-canada.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
This is a follow up to the gentleman's soft landing question, but pertaining to a land crossing in this case. My idea is to land at a Michigan/Ontario land border crossing with the intention of immediately returning to the U.S. This would seem to eliminate any need for isolation in Canada since I would not be a threat to the community in Ontario, because I would not be there.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As posted previously, it’s questionable that landing constitutes an essential boarder crossing. That and the fact that you are in Canada, regardless of the duration, makes you subject to Canadian requirements for mandatory quarantine. I’d call the CBSA office at the boarder before assuming your plan will work.

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
Thanks, I was just looking for information online on how to contact the CBSA, but they do not show any phone numbers, emails, etc. for contacting them. Do you have any suggestions on ways to contact them?

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
I was able to call and talk to someone at CBSA. She said that if I attempt to cross, they will likely not grant an interview at this time, i.e. my situation is not essential travel. I plan to communicate my questions/concerns directly with IRCC via their message portal ... https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Their turn-around is up to a week. I'll circle back here with feedback once I hear from them.

Reactions: Buletruck

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I was able to call and talk to someone at CBSA. She said that if I attempt to cross, they will likely not grant an interview at this time, i.e. my situation is not essential travel. I plan to communicate my questions/concerns directly with IRCC via their message portal ... https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Their turn-around is up to a week. I'll circle back here with feedback once I hear from them.
1. it really doesn't matter what IRCC says, CBSA runs the border and IRCC doesn't have any say.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The thing is a soft landing over the land border versus one way travel as a new PR would possibly not be considered essential travel either by US CBP or CBSA. Plus as above CBSA decide what happens at the border not IRCC as seems you have already had implied by your contact with CBSA. Really you should wait until the emergency situation becomes less of an issue same as everyone else is doing in being patient.

If you still decide to go ahead then your decision but CBSA have already told people who are in Canada not to go to the border specifically just for immigration purposes which is in effect what you are thinking of doing albeit from the US side as opposed to moving up to Canada permanently . Guess you could always lie but generally not advised to even try that of course with either CBSA or CBP.

Last edited: