Soft landing during COVID-19 situation

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
The government will go with them to the hotel and watch them check in with their own credit card. If people aren’t respecting the quarantine they could end up in jail. Seems like a very stupid reason to get a police record.
Lol- no one is suggesting it's a good idea!

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
If were free then nobody would bother making any arrangements and just have a free holiday on the tax payer.
Can you really see people wanting a free two week holiday in a hotel they can't leave?
This is a backstop and only a backstop that has been put in place for the clueless and feckless. There will be a few but not many so I wouldn't worry too much about your tax $. Simply stating the obvious - how would you enforce a traveller to pay if he had no cash or his card wouldn't work? The government will have block booked and paid for rooms in hotels anyway just in case they are needed, all part of the Corvid 19 debt.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can you really see people wanting a free two week holiday in a hotel they can't leave?
This is a backstop and only a backstop that has been put in place for the clueless and feckless. There will be a few but not many so I wouldn't worry too much about your tax $. Simply stating the obvious - how would you enforce a traveller to pay if he had no cash or his card wouldn't work? The government will have block booked and paid for rooms in hotels anyway just in case they are needed, all part of the Corvid 19 debt.
If were my choice and they were not citizens or PRs who should know better I would deny entry to the country and put them on the first available plane out of the country if someone did not have a plan

Only said the holiday comment in jest by the way but it will still be disappointing if the government does not try to recover some cost somehow maybe not immediately but sometime else there is no incentive for anyone to make arrangements.

Bottom line nobody knows about charges, I don’t neither do you neither does anyone here but still worth a debate anyway.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
All new arrivals with CoPRs must have Proof of funds. These funds should be available at the time of landing. It is a requirement. If these new PRs don’t have the cash to pay for a hotel, it kind of rings an alarm, don’t you think?

I have no clue what happens in reality, but I sure hope that in any such instances any mailed pr cards are followed by unpaid hotel bills notice.

Of course, I am overreacting but all travellers, especially new PRs, should take full responsibility for not respecting govt’s isolation guidelines and should not abuse the system.

Reactions: Reach-Canada

Mr.Worldwide

Nov 25, 2019
All new arrivals with CoPRs must have Proof of funds. These funds should be available at the time of landing. It is a requirement. If these new PRs don’t have the cash to pay for a hotel, it kind of rings an alarm, don’t you think?

I have no clue what happens in reality, but I sure hope that in any such instances any mailed pr cards are followed by unpaid hotel bills notice.

Of course, I am overreacting but all travellers, especially new PRs, should take full responsibility for not respecting govt’s isolation guidelines and should not abuse the system.
Proof of funds, u mean cash with you or bank accounts statements?

Reactions: canuck78

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Well we have individuals attempting to apply for the CERB, CESB and whatever money the government is dolling out , when they clearly don’t qualify , so nothing should come as a surprise these days

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I suspect that the accommodations for those without arrangements are likely provided at no charge (for the greater good so to speak), there is always the possibility those locations are immigration detention centers or quarantine sites already set up. I wouldn’t be hoping for a hotel in these situations as the government already has facilities available to them.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Proof of funds, u mean cash with you or bank accounts statements?
Doesn’t matter cash or bank account statements. The funds should be easily accessible and ready to be used when needed. As a newly landed PR you should be able to support oneself financially using savings for at least a couple of months.

I am surprised immigration officers do not check PoF more thoroughly upon arrival. A large proportion of those approved for PR borrow money from relatives or banks when applying, even though they shouldn’t.

Reactions: Reach-Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I suspect that the accommodations for those without arrangements are likely provided at no charge (for the greater good so to speak), there is always the possibility those locations are immigration detention centers or quarantine sites already set up. I wouldn’t be hoping for a hotel in these situations as the government already has facilities available to them.
No it was specified that the person will pay. When landing if there are concerns that a person can’t support themselves for quarantine they will be denied entry into Canada.

Uncle_Iroh

Jul 20, 2019
Looks like there is a new guidance, but it is unclear how long the case can be closed and reopened:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#re-opened_applications

My COPR expires in Nov'20. But I can't figure out whether it will be extended by 60 days, 90 days, 60+60 days, or indefinitely until I tell them I am ready to travel again.

Here are the relevant lines -

Expired COPR and PRV:
If the applicant informs IRCC via the Web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days. These files can be identified by their disposition in the GCMS and the org ID O263567290956.

Re-opened applications
Approved applications where the principal applicant has not already become a permanent resident can be re-opened in GCMS by cancelling the COPR and PRV and removing the final decision.

When to review a re-opened application
Once the applicant informs IRCC via the Web form that they are able to travel, a re-opened application may be re-approved provided that the applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, have valid immigration medical examinations, criminal and security checks and passports.

If the 60-day waiting period elapses and the applicant has not informed us that they are able to travel, a note should be placed in the application, and it should be brought forward for review for an additional 60 days.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
yes, soft landings not
The no soft landing part has been out since around late June/early July on there or another relevant webpage (we first saw IRCC tweeting on June 29 and I remember seeing it somewhere on the government webpage, when people were able to make a U-turn at the Seattle/Vancouver border.
U turn was only allowed at Seattle/Vancouver border. Other borders were strict about that too.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Looks like there is a new guidance, but it is unclear how long the case can be closed and reopened:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#re-opened_applications

My COPR expires in Nov'20. But I can't figure out whether it will be extended by 60 days, 90 days, 60+60 days, or indefinitely until I tell them I am ready to travel again.

Here are the relevant lines -
Others can comment as well but it is too early with an 11/2020 expiry to send a web form saying you are not ready to travel. The current travel restrictions expire July 31 and quarantine requirement August 31 although it is possible of course both may be extended. Many airlines around the world are slowly planning to start up again and whilst there are still origin country restrictions would hope that some degree of normality is in place by November.

There is a I understand it no specific time period that anyone will get as an extension or necessarily even guaranteed, for sure unlikely would think to be indefinite anyway.

Guidelines are changing all the time as the Government assesses the risks with allowing international travel into the country so is important to actively monitor the situation given what might be applicable today may change day by day

Of course above only a personal view so if you want to send a web form is your decision

Reactions: umyla2

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you extend you'll get an email saying "if you wish to travel within the validity you may do so" so it won't hurt getting the unable/unwilling to travel mark on file. Also, while the rest of the world seems to be getting everything under control and starting to ease travel restrictions soon, restrictions against the US will only tighten.
For now though are COPR holders travelling from the US are exempt from the travel restrictions if read the link correctly , although of course soft landings are not currently supported officially.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

I could not see in this link anything about unwilling to to travel versus unable to travel.

Happy to be corrected if I missed something obvious about ability of a COPR holder to travel from the US