+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing - COPR

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I have received my COPR in Dec 2019, but as per the IRCC website at the moment no soft landing is allowed, even if I got my COPR before march 2020. I cannot risk not landing before Dec 2020 when my visa expires. Is anyone in the same situation? And what is the solution?

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Contact IRCC when you're ready to travel.
Thank you, the IRCC have also officially sent me an email telling me to contact them when i am
Ready to travel. But does this guarantee i won’t lose my COPR after my visa expires? Is it a good idea to risk travelling and quarantining for 2 weeks and come back? Not sure how the immigration will react to this.. thank you for your advice if you know more about this.

Reactions: sonofagun

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi we are exactly in the same situation and my Copr was issued Dec 2019 and expires end of the year. We live in the US and I was thinking of making a soft landing but reading the cic travel restriction it falls under non-essential and I am not sure if anybody has done this in the last 3 months or planning to visit now. I emailed using the web form and got a standard reply saying, contact us when you are ready to travel.

It will be great if anybody could provide some info, its pretty abstract on what to do....I really do not want to spend another 800 dollars for medicals :)

Reactions: arfin07

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Hi we are exactly in the same situation and my Copr was issued Dec 2019 and expires end of the year. We live in the US and I was thinking of making a soft landing but reading the cic travel restriction it falls under non-essential and I am not sure if anybody has done this in the last 3 months or planning to visit now. I emailed using the web form and got a standard reply saying, contact us when you are ready to travel.

It will be great if anybody could provide some info, its pretty abstract on what to do....I really do not want to spend another 800 dollars for medicals :)
Hello,

I read that the canada-us borders will be open on september 21 so hopefully things get easier and you can finalize your PR procedure. did not think about the medicals but yes good point they might ask us all to do them again, i am trying to ask around as well, i live in the uae and it is a 14 hour flight to toronto i really dont want to risk going there now for a soft landing as it it ‘not essential’ as you mentioned. Other people and some agents recommended to travel anyway but wait for the PR to be issued before going back to the Uae but that would take months and i cannot afford to do that with my job - id rather just move and settle in Canada when it is time.
Please post more if you have any other info. Good luck! :)

Reactions: Reach-Canada

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
I see another thread someone form US who had visiting and activated the PR, its super confusing. I think I am going to just wait until I am ready to travel and do not want to take a chance...https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/my-experience-during-soft-landing-in-canada-at-the-time-of-covid-19-in-june-2020-from-usa.692274/page-2

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Aghhh confusing!! He/she’s just lucky i guess! Technically we still got 3 months for the visa to expire and a lot can happen in 3 months, hope soft landings are reimplemented by then.

Shony_2013

Sep 24, 2019
I am in US and planning soft landing in Sep as my COPR expires 1st Oct. I guess i can travel as COPR gives us essential travel status. Want to know if there will be any issue/questions at airport when you return after 14 days qurantine ? Will there be any scrutiny ?

hafizmohd91

Aug 30, 2020
Can anyone care to share their experience of soft landing here (Other than US)? I am specifically looking to get some info, if any of you managed to complete their soft landing and get their PR cards issued. My COPR is expiring on Sep and I am worried about letting it expire. At the moment, settling in canada is not an option at least for the next 12 months.

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Can anyone care to share their experience of soft landing here (Other than US)? I am specifically looking to get some info, if any of you managed to complete their soft landing and get their PR cards issued. My COPR is expiring on Sep and I am worried about letting it expire. At the moment, settling in canada is not an option at least for the next 12 months.
I have heard only from people who has done this from the US. From those out side the US, unfortunately I don’t have any info through my network and google search ! What I can say is just do not worry about your COPR expiring and try to rush. I’m sure IRCC will handle the situation and you will not lose your status and will not need to start the process all over again. Travel and reach out to them when you are ready after covid restriction is lifted. They clearly have indicated do not travel just to do your first entry landing for PR. This is my suggestion. Do reach out to them using the web form and get a confirmation. Take it easy !

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
yes, but then I will lose this totally, moreover, there is no way that they can stop a person from traveling back to US.
You can contact IRCC when you're ready to travel and they will issue you a new COPR. They can stop you from entering Canada if you are not settling permanently.

Reactions: prrem1

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Hello,

Did you do it or still waiting?
I feel you and understand the situation you are in.
Mine is expiring in December and i really am having mixed thoughts. it is a 14 hour flight from where i live so i really don't want to risk doing a soft landing right now and not allowed in... but also font want to risk losing my COPR!
Some ppl i know have stayed there for the quaratine period and left - when the officer asked if they were settling when they lnded, they said yes but they werent really and just didnt want not to land before their copr expires.. it's a confusing situation really..
not sure if anyone is checking when you leave canada after 2 weeks quaratine...

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Some ppl i know have stayed there for the quaratine period and left - when the officer asked if they were settling when they lnded, they said yes but they werent really and just didnt want not to land before their copr expires.. it's a confusing situation really..
You should not do this. That's lying to the IRCC, and if you're found out, it could get you removed from Canada for good.

You can say something like "well, I will have to be going back and forth to my home country for a bit as I wrap up my affairs, but long-term I am coming to live and settle in Canada and that's why I'm here today." Will they accept a hedge like that? I don't know. I actually didn't even get asked that question - I am from the US, which is probably why.

But whatever you say should be honest. These people you know took a gamble, and a mildly unethical one.

I am in US and planning soft landing in Sep as my COPR expires 1st Oct. I guess i can travel as COPR gives us essential travel status. Want to know if there will be any issue/questions at airport when you return after 14 days qurantine ? Will there be any scrutiny ?
As far as I know (I am in Canada now and won't be leaving for a while), there is no scrutiny upon leaving. Just remember you'll have to quarantine again. When you then return to Canada after leaving, I suppose they could ask, but that seems unlikely. Landed PRs have a right to enter/leave Canada.