+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOFT LANDING - APPROVED COPR QUERY

fjaveed1

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Hi all

my COPR was approved before March and it expires on 17th September. My question is that can I do soft landing , quarantine for 14 days and then come back to my home country ? I plan to stay for 20 days in Canada and then come back . Is landing temporarily and activating my PR status and then coming back allowed ??

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes. You won't get your PR card, so you'd need to apply for a PRTD from your home country when you want to return to Canada.

fjaveed1

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Yes. You won't get your PR card, so you'd need to apply for a PRTD from your home country when you want to return to Canada.
Hi that won’t be an issue as I have a lot of relatives in Canada and they will bring my PR card when they come to my home country . The issue is that I read this on IRCC twitter page and another email that they sent to approved COPR holder whose COPR expired

“ travel for temporary stay for reasons such as tourism , entertainment or simply to finalize applications without staying in the country is not allowed and will not be permitted “

what does this mean ?

fjaveed1

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
It means do not tell them that you're soft landing, because that's not anything recognized legally.
So technically they aren’t permitting it ? And the only way around is to book separate tickets for departure and arrival ?

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
So technically they aren’t permitting it ? And the only way around is to book separate tickets for departure and arrival ?
I would also like to know about this. I know that soft landing is not a term recognised even during normal times, but I would also like to confirm regarding the ticket booking.

fjaveed1

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
I would also like to know about this. I know that soft landing is not a term recognised even during normal times, but I would also like to confirm regarding the ticket booking.
Yes soft landing isn’t a term but it’s unclear if they are allowing temporary landing for approved COPR holders ?

sheri268

Star Member
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
App. Filed.......
Oct2018
AOR Received.
Oct2018
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
March2019
VISA ISSUED...
April 2019
LANDED..........
Yes soft landing isn’t a term but it’s unclear if they are allowing temporary landing for approved COPR holders ?
Don’t tell them that you are here for soft landing and you have a plan to go back also book you flexible tickets that you can change it easily.

when you go to the immigration just give them your permanent residence Address they won’t ask you any questions after this.

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019
Hi as per the new update on their website they have mentioned "to finalize your permanent residence but not settle here yet" as a restriction . Anyone have any update on this ?

Faheem00

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Hi all

my COPR was approved before March and it expires on 17th September. My question is that can I do soft landing , quarantine for 14 days and then come back to my home country ? I plan to stay for 20 days in Canada and then come back . Is landing temporarily and activating my PR status and then coming back allowed ??
I did same in Feb 2020. Once you land in Canada you ll become PR. Nobody would ask you or check your ticket how long you gona stay or not. You can stay for 20 days and come back to your home country. You relatives can bring you PR card along later once they received it. Nothing to worry.

Reactions: fjaveed1

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I did same in Feb 2020. Once you land in Canada you ll become PR. Nobody would ask you or check your ticket how long you gona stay or not. You can stay for 20 days and come back to your home country. You relatives can bring you PR card along later once they received it. Nothing to worry.
The world is a different place in July than it was in February. It is possible that CBSA will ask if the person is staying permanently or only a short time. As the plan is for 20 days, which is longer than the minimum recommended 15, it should be okay. But they may ask now.

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Has anybody done a land crossing (from US) to validate the COPR? I am crossing by truck&RV trailer soon, and staying for 6 weeks. Will have family with me(sponsor, dependents, two dogs). We are visiting relatives, per requirements, we can cross and we will self isolate per requirements. We will go back and forth to the US making our move in stages. I'm curious if anyone has done anything like this?

What is it like crossing the border for COPR validation by land from US? What questions are asked? Do you need a form BSF186A (for import goods- like the trailer? even though it will go back to US soon?)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are planning on going back to the US "soon" then you may not be permitted to land - short term visits only for the purpose of COPR validation are banned, if the CBSA officer doesn't like what you're saying.

Would focus on describing the purpose of your trip as settling. Fill out the goods to follow form and tell them that there are more to come, that you'd like to eventually go and get. I would be careful to not volunteer that you only plan to stay in Canada a short time, unless of course you are directly asked.

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
If you are planning on going back to the US "soon" then you may not be permitted to land - short term visits only for the purpose of COPR validation are banned, if the CBSA officer doesn't like what you're saying.

Would focus on describing the purpose of your trip as settling. Fill out the goods to follow form and tell them that there are more to come, that you'd like to eventually go and get. I would be careful to not volunteer that you only plan to stay in Canada a short time, unless of course you are directly asked.
Good info. I think I've decided this course: We are entering Canada from the US for valid reasons. (Canadian citizen, my sponsor/spouse to visit aging family members). So we can go regardless, per the travel rules. We are following all the requirements (quarantine, etc, we all have appropriate travel documents, etc. )

I am considering simply presenting the COPR for validation at this crossing for validation. They can say no, then fine, then we go as planned on our 6 week entry and return to US (the original reason for our visit), and I don't get the COPR validated. OR, the immigration person we get may not care or just approve the COPR. I'll let them decide. Just the facts.

I don't see a downside to this, other than not getting validated at this time. My COPR expires in Dec, this may be my last chance to validate before then, but I guess I can put my app back into their "hopper" for 60-90 days at a time, per the new expired COPR extension process.