+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landed at Peace Arch (Seattle/Vancouver crossing) in July 2021

junkie999

Aug 19, 2019
Following is my experience at the Peace Arch crossing in Washington/B.C. area on July 9th 2021:
- OINP (Ontario) nominated application
- H1B visa stamping expired but have approved I797

Officer 1 at the Canada Border: Drove up to the booth and the officer asked for passports/covid tests. Asked purpose of trip. Was not friendly but also not rude. Asked why not moving immediately. Also asked if we have the ArriveCAN app filled out and if I have made any hotel arrangements. Told hiim I have the app filled out but do not have any hotel arrangements but can make one if needed. He then checked our info for few minutes in the computer and then asked us to go and park the vehicle and go into the building.

Officer 2 inside the building: Took the documents and then said there may have been some change of rules and i will not be allowed to soft land. Asked to be seated while he checks his emails for any notification. Then after about 10-15 minutes called back and said he can allow us to soft land that day and there are no new rules regarding the same. Got the 'goods to follow document, asked for total worth of all things to be brought to Canada and then asked us to wait again.

After about 20 minutes called us back and made us sign the COPR documents. Also asked for an address in Canada to mail the PR card. Provided us a copy of the COPR and also the goods to follow document. Said we can only bring what is listed in the document to avoid duty at the border. Then said we are officially canadian permanent residents and said we are free to return back to USA.

At the US Border: Drove to the booth and the officer provided us with a yellow slip and sent for secondary inspection. A second officer came up to the car took the slip, took passports/I797 documents and went inside the building. Was waiting for about 25 minutes in the car. He came back with i94 pinned to the passport and said we are free to go. No other questions asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo5555 and pjain64

lalloum

Oct 24, 2019
Was it only you @junkie999 or did you go for the landing with family? I was wondering because if AVR applies for only H1B or also applies for H4. We want to do a similar landing -- the only difference is that I am on H1B and my wife is on H4 (visas expired but we have valid I-797s)

junkie999

Aug 19, 2019
I went with my wife but she also had h1b with expired visa. Please ask other members regarding H4 as I am not familiar with it.

Last edited:

Sarath91

Jul 1, 2019
Following is my experience at the Peace Arch crossing in Washington/B.C. area on July 9th 2021:

Officer 1 at the Canada Border: Drove up to the booth and the officer asked for passports/covid tests. Asked purpose of trip. Was not friendly but also not rude. Asked why not moving immediately. Also asked if we have the ArriveCAN app filled out and if I have made any hotel arrangements. Told hiim I have the app filled out but do not have any hotel arrangements but can make one if needed. He then checked our info for few minutes in the computer and then asked us to go and park the vehicle and go into the building.

Officer 2 inside the building: Took the documents and then said there may have been some change of rules and i will not be allowed to soft land. Asked to be seated while he checks his emails for any notification. Then after about 10-15 minutes called back and said he can allow us to soft land that day and there are no new rules regarding the same. Got the 'goods to follow document, asked for total worth of all things to be brought to Canada and then asked us to wait again.

After about 20 minutes called us back and made us sign the COPR documents. Also asked for an address in Canada to mail the PR card. Provided us a copy of the COPR and also the goods to follow document. Said we can only bring what is listed in the document to avoid duty at the border. Then said we are officially canadian permanent residents and said we are free to return back to USA.

At the US Border: Drove to the booth and the officer provided us with a yellow slip and sent for secondary inspection. A second officer came up to the car took the slip, took passports/I797 documents and went inside the building. Was waiting for about 25 minutes in the car. He came back with i94 pinned to the passport and said we are free to go. No other questions asked.
Hi bro,
I am OINP nominated COPR holder. Is it allowed to do soft landing in Vancouver when we have province nominated?
I thought it can be done only in Ontario.

I am in Redmond

thanks,
Sarath

junkie999

Aug 19, 2019
Hi bro,
I am OINP nominated COPR holder. Is it allowed to do soft landing in Vancouver when we have province nominated?
I thought it can be done only in Ontario.

I am in Redmond

thanks,
Sarath
Hey thats what many were stating in this forum but I was able to soft land and the officers did not raise any objections. He also took the address of my friend in Ontario to mail the PR card so I guess it is allowed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey thats what many were stating in this forum but I was able to soft land and the officers did not raise any objections. He also took the address of my friend in Ontario to mail the PR card so I guess it is allowed.
It isn’t technically allowed but most are able to land. Some border officials also won’t send your PR cards if you aren’t settling in Canada. CBSA agents have a lot flexibility when it comes to enforcing some regulations.

hakunamatat

Jun 26, 2021
Was it only you @junkie999 or did you go for the landing with family? I was wondering because if AVR applies for only H1B or also applies for H4. We want to do a similar landing -- the only difference is that I am on H1B and my wife is on H4 (visas expired but we have valid I-797s)
It applies for H4 too, my wife used that(AVR) few weeks ago

iamnavaneeth

Aug 11, 2019
My wife got a job offer 2 years back, so our application was thru BC PNP and final destination point on the COPR is British Columbia. We are planning to do a soft landing in a few weeks at the Peace bridge NY. Is it required to show the offer letter she received 2 years back? Any suggestions friends?

iamnavaneeth

Aug 11, 2019

@junkie999 - Was there any question asked at the US border before entering the Canada border? Like where are you going and anything about AVR?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
@junkie999 - Was there any question asked at the US border before entering the Canada border? Like where are you going and anything about AVR?
When you are going for soft landing, you enter via Canadian border, once done with your landing, you will be asked to take a U-turn, if you are planning to return to US(here you'll come across the US agents) the same day. In anycase, you meet either of the agents only once.

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Anybody recently did soft-landing at Peach Arch Douglas with AVR?
What were your experiences?
As long as you have a valid I-797 and a job in the US, you are allowed to re-enter the US right?
Does one need to take a test while re-entering if you stay in Canada for a week or two?

Leo5555

Sep 19, 2021
Hello! I got my COPR renewed after expiry. I live in Seattle, I want to do a soft landing via peace arch border. Earlier I was planning to fly but I need provide an address to quarantine for 14days. Anyone travelled recently in last few days? Land vs air border which is safe. I don’t mind coming back same day via land border if that is an option. Any details will be helpful. My change of status begins October 1st, I need to come back before that.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi @junkie999 / @Leo5555, do either of you have any idea if a US-based rental car could be used to drive around British Columbia? I'm planning to drive from Seattle and intend to stay in British Columbia for a week.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi @junkie999 / @Leo5555, do either of you have any idea if a US-based rental car could be used to drive around British Columbia? I'm planning to drive from Seattle and intend to stay in British Columbia for a week.
If you are driving back and returning the car in US. Enterprise, AVIS, Alamo, Budget would allow you to take car outside of US. But if you are dropping off car in Canada , you have to check for yourself online. sometimes one way rentals are allowed and sometimes not.