+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landed at Peace Arch (Seattle/Vancouver crossing) in July 2021

Shwetac

Nov 18, 2021
Anybody recently did soft-landing at Peach Arch Douglas with AVR?
What were your experiences?
As long as you have a valid I-797 and a job in the US, you are allowed to re-enter the US right?
Does one need to take a test while re-entering if you stay in Canada for a week or two?
I have similar question. I have expired H1B stamp with approved I797 but my employer has changed since.
Does it matter if I attempt AVR ?

Please help.

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Hi @junkie999 / @Leo5555, do either of you have any idea if a US-based rental car could be used to drive around British Columbia? I'm planning to drive from Seattle and intend to stay in British Columbia for a week.
I've used Enterprise travelled several day trips between Seattle and Vancouver - Had no issues. Enterprise do let you drop off in BC but there is a additional charge.

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
If you are driving back and returning the car in US. Enterprise, AVIS, Alamo, Budget would allow you to take car outside of US. But if you are dropping off car in Canada , you have to check for yourself online. sometimes one way rentals are allowed and sometimes not.
Is it okay if I take my own car for soft landing (from USA) and come back on the same day?

Shwetac

Nov 18, 2021
Is it okay if I take my own car for soft landing (from USA) and come back on the same day?
Yes, I did this with my own car and recently on Dec 11. Its fine. But please make sure you have all the documents you need to come back to USA. If not, you'd be driving around in canada. I had plan B to drive to relatives place in canada.

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
Yes, I did this with my own car and recently on Dec 11. Its fine. But please make sure you have all the documents you need to come back to USA. If not, you'd be driving around in canada. I had plan B to drive to relatives place in canada.
Thanks Shweta. I have my sister in Canada, so will not be an issue.

Ridham28

Feb 28, 2022
Following is my experience at the Peace Arch crossing in Washington/B.C. area on July 9th 2021:
- OINP (Ontario) nominated application
- H1B visa stamping expired but have approved I797

Officer 1 at the Canada Border: Drove up to the booth and the officer asked for passports/covid tests. Asked purpose of trip. Was not friendly but also not rude. Asked why not moving immediately. Also asked if we have the ArriveCAN app filled out and if I have made any hotel arrangements. Told hiim I have the app filled out but do not have any hotel arrangements but can make one if needed. He then checked our info for few minutes in the computer and then asked us to go and park the vehicle and go into the building.

Officer 2 inside the building: Took the documents and then said there may have been some change of rules and i will not be allowed to soft land. Asked to be seated while he checks his emails for any notification. Then after about 10-15 minutes called back and said he can allow us to soft land that day and there are no new rules regarding the same. Got the 'goods to follow document, asked for total worth of all things to be brought to Canada and then asked us to wait again.

After about 20 minutes called us back and made us sign the COPR documents. Also asked for an address in Canada to mail the PR card. Provided us a copy of the COPR and also the goods to follow document. Said we can only bring what is listed in the document to avoid duty at the border. Then said we are officially canadian permanent residents and said we are free to return back to USA.

At the US Border: Drove to the booth and the officer provided us with a yellow slip and sent for secondary inspection. A second officer came up to the car took the slip, took passports/I797 documents and went inside the building. Was waiting for about 25 minutes in the car. He came back with i94 pinned to the passport and said we are free to go. No other questions asked.
Hi @junkie999

I received my COPR (OINP) and also have my H1 selected this year. I am planning to do soft landing in toronto this month and return back to US to complete my H1 process.
- I know you cant apply for PR card while soft landing and for that you have to renter Canada permanently and have Ontario address for the card to be delivered,
How can you go back to Canada as COPR is only for one time entry?
- Since you are on H1B , are you planning to move to Toronto and find a job over there or how are you planning to navigate this ?
- As i dont have my H1B yet, can you use AVR on F1 as my F1 is expiring soon as well.

thank you

Shwetac

Nov 18, 2021
Hi @junkie999

I received my COPR (OINP) and also have my H1 selected this year. I am planning to do soft landing in toronto this month and return back to US to complete my H1 process.
- I know you cant apply for PR card while soft landing and for that you have to renter Canada permanently and have Ontario address for the card to be delivered,
How can you go back to Canada as COPR is only for one time entry?
- Since you are on H1B , are you planning to move to Toronto and find a job over there or how are you planning to navigate this ?
- As i dont have my H1B yet, can you use AVR on F1 as my F1 is expiring soon as well.

thank you
Firstly, You'd need your I797 for soft landing, so dont leave without it.
- This is not true, when I crossed at peace Arch, they took address from me to send the PR card, I gave an address in Alberta (not even Ontario, being ONIP), they were fine with it as long as you have intention to eventually go to Ontario. Received my PR card as well.
- If you're back to US, you'd have to wait to get PR card to re-enter canada.
-Job is anyone's guess. I am taking a transfer, best bet is talk to your employer for internal transfer, first.
- You can do AVR on F1 but if its expiring soon, I'd wait for H1's I-797 approval. But sometimes that's not the option if your canadian activation date is going to lapse. I'd say if you're in hurry use F1 else wait for H1. At the end use your best judgement. :)

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Ridham28

Feb 28, 2022
Firstly, You'd need your I797 for soft landing, so dont leave without it.
- This is not true, when I crossed at peace Arch, they took address from me to send the PR card, I gave an address in Alberta (not even Ontario, being ONIP), they were fine with it as long as you have intention to eventually go to Ontario. Received my PR card as well.
- If you're back to US, you'd have to wait to get PR card to re-enter canada.
-Job is anyone's guess. I am taking a transfer, best bet is talk to your employer for internal transfer, first.
- You can do AVR on F1 but if its expiring soon, I'd wait for H1's I-797 approval. But sometimes that's not the option if your canadian activation date is going to lapse. I'd say if you're in hurry use F1 else wait for H1. At the end use your best judgement. :)

Hope this helps. Cheers!
hi Shwetac, thanks for responding. did you cross Peace Arch by land ?
I'm currently on F1 (Day 1 CPT) - I797 has expired but have valid 1-20
What should I say to officers at the airport if they ask about my intent - soft landing or normal landing?
Also , are you planning to retain h1b and PR both at the same time , if not how are you navigating this .

would appreciate your suggestions /recommendations.

thank you

Shwetac

Nov 18, 2021
hi Shwetac, thanks for responding. did you cross Peace Arch by land ?
I'm currently on F1 (Day 1 CPT) - I797 has expired but have valid 1-20
What should I say to officers at the airport if they ask about my intent - soft landing or normal landing?
Also , are you planning to retain h1b and PR both at the same time , if not how are you navigating this .

would appreciate your suggestions /recommendations.

thank you
I crossed by land in my own car, activated PR and took a U-turn back to states.
I understand you have I-20s but I am not sure you should cross on expired I-797. Sounds a bit risky but again I did it on H1's non expired I-797 so I am not the best judge about the F1 crossing, all I know is that it can be done.
They dont ask if its normal or soft landing, they just ask are you returning to united states today, I said yes, then usually the questions they want answer for is.. When are you moving permanently (tentative plan) and where ? (Now if you're PNP, then the intent should be Ontario)

As for retain... I dont understand the question. As far as H1 goes, once you take internal transfer or resign they go away! So then when you're in canada, you're on PR, that's it. If you ever want to come back to states, you can on TN or H1. I have seen people coming back on TN and then convert it to H1. You wont have to go through lottery again. (I know, thank god for that!) So there is no way of maintaining H1 once you're out of states.

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Hi All,

Could you please advise me when I should plan for Canada soft landing from the US given my situation:
  • COPR: Valid till Nov 2022
  • L1 visa stamp: Valid till Jun 2022
  • I-94 on I-797 (approved L1 extension): Valid till Jun 2024
I have two options:
  1. Soft landing before the L1 visa stamp gets expired (i.e. by Jun 2022). In that case, while re-entering the US, will CBP issue a new I-94 matching the end date of paper I-94 on I-797 (i.e. Jun 2024)? Or, they might issue an I-94 valid only till the visa stamp expiry date (i.e. Jun 2022)?
  2. Use AVR (automatic visa revalidation) after the visa stamp gets expired (i.e. post Jun 2022) as I have a valid I-797 and I-94 till Jun 2024. Is there any risk with this route?
Please let me know which option seems better and if there's a clear CBP guideline for issuing I-94s in case of Option 1.

Appreciate your inputs!

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
We got copr recently and the expiry date is November-2022. My wife is primary applicant, so is it okay if she and our kid do soft landing first and I do later??
Pls let me know ASAP.