+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Welfare while waiting for PR

JamesM

Star Member
Feb 4, 2009
Job Offer........
So I'm back in Ireland now waiting for our application to get processed. I had a place on a college course but due to some unfortunate events (and incompetence on behalf of the college) that is no longer happening. I quit my job last July knowing that I would be in college again for the year until I got Canadian residency (fingers crossed). I'm at the point where going on the dole is looking likely. I'm just wondering if this effects my application in any way?

I'm almost sure it doesn't but I just want to double check.

James

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
Hi James,
I wouldnt think it does, unless you were the sponsor but as you're irish i guess youre not.

One thing tho, when you apply for the dole, i dont think you should tell them about moving to Canada. Because they only give the dole on the premise that you are currently available for and seeking work. Thats why they call it jobseekers allowance/benefit. If they know you're planning on leaving soon, they might think that you wont bother looking for work. Im not sure, but i certainly wouldnt offer them that information if i was you ;)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ash2009 said:
Hi James,
I wouldnt think it does, unless you were the sponsor but as you're irish i guess youre not.
I'm sorry but I don't really understand that response.

Anyway, if you are applying under the Family Class and you are NOT the sponsor, then it won't affect your application.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
ash2009 said:
Hi James,
I'm sorry but I don't really understand that response.

Anyway, if you are applying under the Family Class and you are NOT the sponsor, then it won't affect your application.
Actually it can, if the processing office decides that once you are in Canada you would be unable to support yourself. See: 39 of the Immigration Act.

"

39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made. "
It isn't used often, but it is used, usually where the sponsor is not working, and the applicant is on social assistance.

PMM

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Absolutely true! Sorry, I knew that and should have mentioned that in my response.