+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social life in Canada vs USA

BigBri

Jan 18, 2014
Don't understand this point at all. Not sure why Canadian universities need to recruit any American students...other than to charge them the higher tuition like they do any international student. And frankly, I doubt any appreciable number of Canadians (bright or otherwise) go to the US for undergrad. Undergraduate programs in the US are ridiculously overpriced. I am ecstatic that I'm raising my kids in Canada where tuition and fees average about $2K to 5K a year, depending on the major. They can go to the US for grad school. (I agree that US grad schools are the best in the world.)

University tuition at Michigan State U is now $17.5K/yr, U of Mich is undoubtly over $20K/yr. The Ivy Leagues are usually over $45K. You at least get something for your taxes, all we get is a bloated military.
Jobs are pretty scarse here too now. Many get laid off white collar work at age 50 or so. They then just hire another kid out of grad school who'll work twice as hard for half the money and no pension plan. I've seen it again and again and many of my friends had mortgages to pay and children to send to university. We do have some great grad schools here and do get a lot of international students as a result but American kids are not doing at all well and for non-whites the rates of even high school diplomas are abysimal about 50%.
I know a number of professional Black women who'd marry any man worth his salt as there are so few suitable educated Black men for them. They complain that the few well off Black men want white or asian wives for status reasons. Too many are looking for a meal ticket and as one said to me "Just like having another baby, just someone else to have to take care of."

BigBri

Jan 18, 2014
With that article and link showing many Canadians travel south of the border to buy gas and milk, the fact is many Canadians do travel. I'm not confusing moving somewhere with commuting. I'm just saying people commute for education and work. It's you/on-hold who is confusing traveling somewhere with moving.

I live in the US and we get a lot of Canadians down for their holidays/vacations. Winter always spikes. When the $CN gets $1.19US they flock in for the bargains. When $1CN cost me only $.62US I went up and enjoyed the best rooms, foods and got Lasik on my eyes for $1KUS when it was $3KUS. I think every does or at least should take into account exchange rates.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Great, a dispute about definitions of 'travel' and 'commute' plus a straw-man argument, and someone who's decided Canadians don't study in the States. :-X Not to hot on the facts either, if the Canadian dollar was ever worth $1.19 American I'll eat my toque. Where did you come up with the astounding and highly original observation that there are more Canadians in the States over winter?

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
margobear96 said:
Those Americans you met weren't New Yorkers -- they were tourists from small towns in the Midwest :D.
Being from South Florida, I can attest to this lol.

If you walk down the street here and start smiling and waving at everyone you are liable to get some funny looks. Start striking up conversations with random people and you might get slight hostility in return because we simply don't know who you are or why you chose to talk to us (unless of course there is a common interest involved. Other guys try to strike up sports conversations with me all the time but I don't care about sports and don't know enough to give them a friendly response.) In university, unless you lived on campus or took several classes with the same people, you probably wouldn't make many friends unless your degree program involved a lot of group projects. Most of my classes I had zero reason to get to know others or make friends with them and they were mostly the same way towards me (Though I did meet some people but after classes ended so did our interactions). Do I think there is something wrong with me? No. I just accepted that, although the people I work with or go to school with will interact with me, they will mostly only do so as long as we have that common interest. Friendships don't last that long unless both sides have the time and ability to maintain that relationship. Some of the same unfriendliness that others have experienced in Canada will also be found in the U.S. depending on where you live. It is a simple fact that within such a large geopgraphical area, you will encounter all sorts of people who will treat you differently. Stereotypes abound and it is difficult to overcome those stereotypes, but occasionally it can be done, and itcan be rewarding. Othertimes, you will only find solace amongst people like yourself, or those who share a common interest or goal.

chesterbr

Feb 16, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
Med's Request
18-11-2013
Med's Done....
03-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-01-2014
To get back to the original topic, I always warn people that consider immigration that yes, Canada has a social behaviour of its own, which can be taken as "cold" by some, but I personally define as "polite and respectful of boundaries". But that's just me.