+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Small court secret marriage no family or friends

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
Hello.

My wife and I had a court marriage. No one knew about it. As a matter of fact, our witness were the people working at the court room. We have evidence of 3 years of relationship, passport stamps, bus, plane tickets, chats and lots of pictures in different places. We are planning to have a real ceremony someday but right now we are both students and dont have an income, we just want to live in the same country. Im in the states as a student, no green card(venezolan citizen) besides her parents (she is sponsoring me) were not too supportive about it because "we are too young".

Anyone been trhough a similar situation where no relatives or friends were at the wedding and got approved or denied? Any advice for the application? Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sneakydriver said:
My wife and I had a court marriage. No one knew about it. As a matter of fact, our witness were the people working at the court room. We have evidence of 3 years of relationship, passport stamps, bus, plane tickets, chats and lots of pictures in different places. We are planning to have a real ceremony someday but right now we are both students and dont have an income, we just want to live in the same country. Im in the states as a student, no green card(venezolan citizen) besides her parents (she is sponsoring me) were not too supportive about it because "we are too young".
Hi

It's a big red flag. You may be able to address it but it would help if you provide some more info. What is your relationship background? What are your wife's personal circumstances? How much time have you spent together in person? Did any friends or family know about the wedding? Do any of them know about it now?

zumbagirl said:
Just apply. nothing to worry about. send lots of pix to show your relationship
Bad advice. Lots of pictures will not overcome the potential red flags in OP's story.

Amarpreetd

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Sneakydriver said:
Hello.

Anyone been trhough a similar situation where no relatives or friends were at the wedding and got approved or denied? Any advice for the application? Thank you.

small ceremony its self is not that big flag if you expalin yourself in cover latter but keeping it secret is defiantly a big flag......once you r married you ahould be living together...declaring yourself as married couple to both side of families and every else......if you r hiding your new status due to whatever reasons cic will be hard to convince.....best of luck

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

It's a big red flag. You may be able to address it but it would help if you provide some more info. What is your relationship background? What are your wife's personal circumstances? How much time have you spent together in person? Did any friends or family know about the wedding? Do any of them know about it now?

Bad advice. Lots of pictures will not overcome the potential red flags in OP's story.
My wife is a student and she lives with her parents. They were not supportive when we told them we wanted to get married which is why we did it secretly.

My family knew but there was no way they could be present(they live in venezuela) We have been together physically about 290 days in the last 3 years. Im just counting the dates we have traveled to see each other and for how long we did. We got all these bus tickets, but lately I have been driving to visit her.

We are thinking of telling her parents but we dont know yet because everytime I visit her, I stay at her parents house and if we tell them they might not want me around atleast for a while. I have pictures with her family, they approved our relationship for these years we have been together the problem was at the moment we wanted to get married, they did not really approved it.

jeffporfirio

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Sneakydriver said:
Hello.

What exactly is your question?
BTW. Not living together is not a "great" way to prove that your marriage is not immigration fraud.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Sneakydriver said:
Hello.

If you're in the states as a student, are you planning to study in Canada? This alone is going to be a problem. PR is for people who are going to live in Canada immediately when they receive PR, and you have to prove this.

Does your wife have enough money to move out with you? Do you have a good savings account? There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse, BUT if her parents are supporting her and don't want you in the picture, how are you two going to support yourselves?

Depending on your situation, maybe you can get a study visa for Canada instead of the US?

Otherwise, unless your studies are ending soon I'd suggest waiting until you grad.

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
jeffporfirio said:
What exactly is your question?
BTW. Not living together is not a "great" way to prove that your marriage is not immigration fraud.
My job it's in the states and she is still a student in canada. we could not live together. we do see each other every weekend since I got this job couple of months ago. my question was if the fact we didn't have her family there (my family would have not been able to make it, they live in venezuela) is going to really affect our application and if it was, I wanted to seek advice from someone who knew more about the subject or someone who went through similar circumstances and got aproved/rejected.

Maybe we could have a traditional ceremony in venezuela with my parents, they do support our marriage, but obviously this involves lots of money which we don't have at the moment.

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
Aquakitty said:
If you're in the states as a student, are you planning to study in Canada? This alone is going to be a problem. PR is for people who are going to live in Canada immediately when they receive PR, and you have to prove this.

Does your wife have enough money to move out with you? Do you have a good savings account? There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse, BUT if her parents are supporting her and don't want you in the picture, how are you two going to support yourselves?

Depending on your situation, maybe you can get a study visa for Canada instead of the US?

Otherwise, unless your studies are ending soon I'd suggest waiting until you grad.
Actually, I'm on a student visa in the states, I already graduated in the summer, now working at a company, but my work permit is only valid until May, after that I'm done here in the states. I'm saving money to support ourselves after moving to Canada while I get a job over there.

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
deadbird said:
Did you get a marriage certificate from the small court marriage?
I have a copy of the marriage certificate. we also took pictures. I just don't know what to do at this point. we filled out every form and I got my meds done. FBI background check in progress. but then looking at IMM5490E Sponsored Spouse form, we just don't know if to apply anymore. we could tell their parents and if they accept, maybe they can write a letter stating our relationship is real and explaining the situation, or even have a small traditional ceremony in Canada now that they know we are already married.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Sneakydriver said:
I have a copy of the marriage certificate. we also took pictures. I just don't know what to do at this point. we filled out every form and I got my meds done. FBI background check in progress. but then looking at IMM5490E Sponsored Spouse form, we just don't know if to apply anymore. we could tell their parents and if they accept, maybe they can write a letter stating our relationship is real and explaining the situation, or even have a small traditional ceremony in Canada now that they know we are already married.
It seems to me that your case is certainly doable, but needs a lot of evidence. I would suggest that you contact some good lawyers but since you are in a difficult financial situation that may not be possible.

You don't have to mention every detail of your personal relationship to Canada but on the other hand if there are some glaring red flags, then you must provide a lot of documentation to back it up. Having your parents not support your relationship is a totally fine thing but then both of you not living together is not ok.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sneakydriver said:
My wife is a student and she lives with her parents. They were not supportive when we told them we wanted to get married which is why we did it secretly.

My family knew but there was no way they could be present(they live in venezuela) We have been together physically about 290 days in the last 3 years. Im just counting the dates we have traveled to see each other and for how long we did. We got all these bus tickets, but lately I have been driving to visit her.

We are thinking of telling her parents but we dont know yet because everytime I visit her, I stay at her parents house and if we tell them they might not want me around atleast for a while. I have pictures with her family, they approved our relationship for these years we have been together the problem was at the moment we wanted to get married, they did not really approved it.
Regardless of how her parents react, they need to know before you submit the app.

Get a notarized letter from your parents stating they that they support the relationship and would have attended the wedding if not for the cost, visas, distance etc. If you have other family or friends who are aware of the marriage, get letters from them.

Given that she lives with her parents and I'm assuming they support her financially, you will need to write a solid plan on how you guys will support yourselves in Canada. Normally in this situation, the best thing to have is a letter from the parents stating that they would give you a place to live and support you while you got on your feet.

deadbird said:
It seems to me that your case is certainly doable, but needs a lot of evidence. I would suggest that you contact some good lawyers but since you are in a difficult financial situation that may not be possible.

You don't have to mention every detail of your personal relationship to Canada but on the other hand if there are some glaring red flags, then you must provide a lot of documentation to back it up. Having your parents not support your relationship is a totally fine thing but then both of you not living together is not ok.
There is no need to contact a lawyer.

The fact that they don't live together is not an issue. It's fairly standard for outland apps.

crazy D

Aug 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
AOR1-28-Sept-2016,AOR2-20-oct-2016
File Transfer...
SA 7-Oct-2016 (ECAS in process oct 15,'16)/BC in Progress-dec 2 '16, pre-arrival received-dec 16'16
Med's Done....
22th July 2016-upfront(passed)-nov 28
Interview........
Waived :)
Passport Req..
And DM - 12-jan-'17- mycic -closed/approved-18-jan-'17
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-17
LANDED..........
28-jan-17 :)
My husband and I secretly got married , no family or friends in our civil wedding with only two witnesses. Although my husband's family knows about our marriage and they're happy for us but not with my parents , to cut story short my mom doesn't want coz of different religion and age with 26 years gap

The key to this, is to tell the whole truth about your relationship, provide solid evidence.know you application strength and weaknesses then address it.
I even mention in our application that my parents doesn't even know about us ,but I said I'm looking forward for them to meet my husband.

Cheers!