+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single Parent Visitor Visa

kmlprt

Sep 17, 2018
Hi All,

I'm having a COPR with me and will be landing to Canada in the last week of Sept 2019. I want my mother to visit me for a couple of months later, so I'm applying a visitor visa for her from my home country. My question is, since I haven't landed in Canada and don't have a Canadian address yet, so while stating the reasons for her stay should I mention that she'll be visiting me?In the details for visit - the reason can be family visit?
I'm asking this as there's a requirement for the host's Canadian address which I don't have currently. Can someone please advise what needs to be filled for below queries in the visitor Application form for my mother:

-Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
A:Yes

-How are you related to your family member?
A:Child/grandchild

-What is the main purpose of your visit?
A:To visit family and/or friends.

-Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

My main concern is I've not landed yet. There's information asked in application form for the address of the person my mother's visiting. Since she'll visiting me and I don't have the current address so what should I include in that field.

Kindly share your experience and/or advise in this case.Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I'm having a COPR with me and will be landing to Canada in the last week of Sept 2019. I want my mother to visit me for a couple of months later, so I'm applying a visitor visa for her from my home country. My question is, since I haven't landed in Canada and don't have a Canadian address yet, so while stating the reasons for her stay should I mention that she'll be visiting me?In the details for visit - the reason can be family visit?
I'm asking this as there's a requirement for the host's Canadian address which I don't have currently. Can someone please advise what needs to be filled for below queries in the visitor Application form for my mother:

-Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?

-Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

My main concern is I've not landed yet. There's information asked in application form for the address of the person my mother's visiting. Since she'll visiting me and I don't have the current address so what should I include in that field.

Kindly share your experience and/or advise in this case.Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
I would wait and apply for the TRV after you have landed and have lived in Canada for a few months. We find there's a high rate of refusal when parents apply for a TRV earlier since IRCC can be concerned you're trying to bring her to Canada with you when you land and have her stay here long term.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And being a single parent, they could assume your mother would be taking care of your child while you’re working , which is considered unauthorized work

kmlprt

Sep 17, 2018
I would wait and apply for the TRV after you have landed and have lived in Canada for a few months. We find there's a high rate of refusal when parents apply for a TRV earlier since IRCC can be concerned you're trying to bring her to Canada with you when you land and have her stay here long term.
Hi @syclla ,

Thanks for the reply. In this case, my mother is holding US B1/B2 visa and she's going to stay a couple of months in the U.S. After this, she wants to directly come visit me for sometime and return to the home country. I want her to get Canadian TRV and complete her visit without any complications .As I understand , getting TRV from home country is easier rather than applying from the U.S. ,during her stay. What would you recommend here? Is there any way she'd be able to visit both countries in one go and then return to the home country.

Here's, some additional information :
She's having more than enough financial funds in bank to support her stay.
She's not having any property under her name currently, but the process is underway. I think this we can't include in her application as of now.
We're only three family members - my mother, me (moving to Canada) and my brother (stays in the U.S.).
She's a widow.

Based on the above factors can you please guide me when and how can I apply for her TRV. I just want her to come and spend some time with me for a couple of months every year. Also, I'm a single person - neither married nor in any common law relationship and without any children . Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks once again!

kmlprt

Sep 17, 2018
And being a single parent, they could assume your mother would be taking care of your child while you’re working , which is considered unauthorized work
Hi Copingwithlife ,

I'm sorry , it seems we've a misunderstanding here. I'm not having any child that my mother needs to take care of. As mentioned in my reply to @scylla , I'm single and not having any children. What I mean through the thread title is my mother is the only parent I've. She's a widow , so she doesn't have much of immediate family in the home country. I believe, that affects the TRV application too . So I mentioned single parent in the sense that she's my only parent as of now.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. Let me know if you've comments here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @syclla ,

Thanks for the reply. In this case, my mother is holding US B1/B2 visa and she's going to stay a couple of months in the U.S. After this, she wants to directly come visit me for sometime and return to the home country. I want her to get Canadian TRV and complete her visit without any complications .As I understand , getting TRV from home country is easier rather than applying from the U.S. ,during her stay. What would you recommend here? Is there any way she'd be able to visit both countries in one go and then return to the home country.

Here's, some additional information :
She's having more than enough financial funds in bank to support her stay.
She's not having any property under her name currently, but the process is underway. I think this we can't include in her application as of now.
We're only three family members - my mother, me (moving to Canada) and my brother (stays in the U.S.).
She's a widow.

Based on the above factors can you please guide me when and how can I apply for her TRV. I just want her to come and spend some time with me for a couple of months every year. Also, I'm a single person - neither married nor in any common law relationship and without any children . Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks once again!
She has weak ties to her home country as a window with no property. The fact she already has a B1/B2 visa is a plus. And yes - it is much better for her to apply for the Canadian visa from her home country rather than from the US.

I would still recommend that she wait to apply for the TRV until you've moved to Canada and have lived her for a number of months. That's the safest path given her very limited ties to her home country.

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Hi All,

Hi,

Am in a similar boat, I have completed my soft landing 2.5 years back and planning to relocate back to Canada. Now, I would like to apply for a visitor visa for my mom so that she can join me very early after my arrival in Canada.

Please let me know what you ended up choosing. Any additional details would be appreicated. Thank you in advance.

amit.k08

Nov 20, 2018
Hi kmlprt

I am in similar situation, I live in Canada and My brother lives in US and my Mom is currently with him on B1/B2. Need to apply visitor visa for her.
Can you please share your experience, Where did you applied TRV from (Home Country or US) ? Did you face any issue without any property on mother's name ?

Thanks

kanha

Jul 4, 2021
I know it's an old thread but I'm also in the same situation. Can you please share your experience? Were you able to apply for their visa and did it get approved? Thank you!