+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singapore COC experience

star_juu

Sep 24, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I thought I'd share my experience getting a Singaporean Certificate of Clearance as a non-citizen that's outside Singapore right now. I'm not finished yet but will be posting an update about the timeline and final decision. If you had spent 6 consecutive months or more in Singapore in the last 10 years (study abroad, work abroad etc), you will need to submit a COC/Police certificate as part of your PR (Express Entry) application. To obtain this Certificate though you MUST received an ITA first before you can start the process. You will first need to submit an appeal in order to show that you need a COC. Once that is reviewed, they will invite you to apply for COC at which point you will complete a form and pay the fee. You will then need to send in fingerprints after which the application will be reviewed. If approved they will finally mail you your COC.

Summary of process:
1) Receive ITA. Complete the ITA profile to obtain your customized document checklist for your PR application
2) Save the ITA letter and personal checklist as a pdf file. Note that ideally the checklist would show that you require a Singapore Police Certificate
3) Go to https://eservices.police.gov.sg/content/policehubhome/homepage/certificate-of-clearance-hub.html
4) Since I am not in Singapore and I am not a Singaporean citizen, I selected the "Appeal by Non-Citizen to apply for COC" and "Login with FIN" options
5) Make sure you have your old NRIC number. It's the identification number they assigned to you on your Work/Student Pass. Thank God I kept my card from 8 years ago. Bullet dodged!
6) Complete the appeal form, upload a photo, submit any supporting documentation they ask for (Front and back of your card as jpg, ITA letter as pdf, etc. etc.). Submit
7) Wait for an e-mail to tell you your appeal has been approved (3-5 business days). The e-mail will have the Appeal number on it and a Fingerprinting Form. You will need this (it looks like APP/00000000/0000
8) Go back to the website/click on the link in the e-mail and select the "Apply for Certificate of Clearance" and "Login via FIN" options
9) Complete the form again and pay the fee with any major credit card. Mine ended up costing 60 SGD (because it include 5SGD mailing fee).
9*) just in case, save/print the final acknowledgment page at the end for your records
10) Wait for an e-mail to tell you your application was accepted. They will give you your application reference number (#00000000) and tell you where to submit your physical fingerprints along with a Payment Receipt. You will need to mail in both fingerprints and the receipt to the provided address.
11) Go and get your fingerprinting done at a legitimate place - using the form provided in the appeal approval e-mail from step 7.
12) Mail in all required documents to the provided address ( i recommend courier or other mailing service with tracking numbers)
13) Wait for the decision and final COC in your mail (heard it can take a while since they use snail mail and not courier services)

My timeline so far (will update as new info comes in):
- 9/17: obtain ITA
- 9/17: submit an appeal for Singapore COC as a non-citizen outside the US
- 9/22: receive appeal approval
- 9/22: applied for COC and made payment
- 9/23: obtained e-mail confirmation and payment receipt
-9/23: obtained fingerprints and mailed to Singapore (via Fedex with ETA delivery 9/28)
- TBD: confirmation of completeness of documentation from Singapore
- TBD: confirmation of mailing of COC
- TBD: receipt of COC

Some additional notes:
- when you apply for COC you get two options of how to obtain your final COC. First one is via mail which I chose. It costs extra 5 SGD and will take time. Second option is to use a Proxy. It means that if you have a friend or family member in Singapore, they will be able to pick it up themselves from a Singaporean office. You will have to complete a release form etc. but it will be quicker. Since they can pick it up and just scan it for you. Obviously I didn't have anybody to ask so chose the mail option.
- the website is pretty crappy and might take multiple reloads. I had best success using Internet Explorer or Mozilla browsers
- i only know this info from my experience. If you have questions it's very possible i won't know the answer. Just thought I'd share this since i haven't seen a recent COC post.
- if it helps for context: I'm a south east national residing in US currently for work. I was in Singapore a few years ago for Study Abroad and Internship Abroad program. I retained my Work Pass Card and other documentation from that time. I won't be able to help if you don't have your NRIC card.

star_juu

Sep 24, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Update:
COC approved 10/1/2020 - received an email that COC will be mailed out within 2 days and will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: cr74796

cr74796

Oct 1, 2020
Update:
COC approved 10/1/2020 - received an email that COC will be mailed out within 2 days and will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Hey congratulations, I have applied Singapore COC today in the morning. Unfortunately, I wrote down wrong date in Date of departure, is it going to affect on COC’s approval?.

star_juu

Sep 24, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Update:
Update: Received COC in mail on 10/17/2020

In summary:
Total time from application to receipt - 30 days
Total active processing time (appeal, application, processing) - 7 days
Waiting time (primarily related to delivery of fingerprints and actual receipt of COC via snail mail) - 21 days

Reactions: CoolUk2

sensem

Nov 27, 2020
Dear star_juu, thank you so much for your sharing!! It helped me a lot after reading your Post. I cannot find my old NRIC card but I do know my NRIC FIN number. Is is a must to provide the front and page image of the old NRIC card when submitting the appeal? many thanks!!

star_juu

Sep 24, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Dear star_juu, thank you so much for your sharing!! It helped me a lot after reading your Post. I cannot find my old NRIC card but I do know my NRIC FIN number. Is is a must to provide the front and page image of the old NRIC card when submitting the appeal? many thanks!!
I'm sorry i don't have an answer to your question. If I was in your shoes I'd contact Singapore criminal office to see what they say SPF_COC_Office@spf.gov.sg

sensem

Nov 27, 2020
I'm sorry i don't have an answer to your question. If I was in your shoes I'd contact Singapore criminal office to see what they say SPF_COC_Office@spf.gov.sg
Thank you very much star_juu! Luckily I found my FIN card and got the appeal approved. But they didn't attach a fingerprinting form in their email. Could you please share a copy of the empty fingerprinting form? (My email address: pansen1990@126.com). I managed to find some form online but not sure if those are the right one to use. Many thanks and have a great day!!

baryonix

May 21, 2019
I thought I'd share my experience getting a Singaporean Certificate of Clearance as a non-citizen that's outside Singapore right now. I'm not finished yet but will be posting an update about the timeline and final decision. If you had spent 6 consecutive months or more in Singapore in the last 10 years (study abroad, work abroad etc), you will need to submit a COC/Police certificate as part of your PR (Express Entry) application. To obtain this Certificate though you MUST received an ITA first before you can start the process. You will first need to submit an appeal in order to show that you need a COC. Once that is reviewed, they will invite you to apply for COC at which point you will complete a form and pay the fee. You will then need to send in fingerprints after which the application will be reviewed. If approved they will finally mail you your COC.

Summary of process:
1) Receive ITA. Complete the ITA profile to obtain your customized document checklist for your PR application
2) Save the ITA letter and personal checklist as a pdf file. Note that ideally the checklist would show that you require a Singapore Police Certificate
3) Go to https://eservices.police.gov.sg/content/policehubhome/homepage/certificate-of-clearance-hub.html
4) Since I am not in Singapore and I am not a Singaporean citizen, I selected the "Appeal by Non-Citizen to apply for COC" and "Login with FIN" options
5) Make sure you have your old NRIC number. It's the identification number they assigned to you on your Work/Student Pass. Thank God I kept my card from 8 years ago. Bullet dodged!
6) Complete the appeal form, upload a photo, submit any supporting documentation they ask for (Front and back of your card as jpg, ITA letter as pdf, etc. etc.). Submit
7) Wait for an e-mail to tell you your appeal has been approved (3-5 business days). The e-mail will have the Appeal number on it and a Fingerprinting Form. You will need this (it looks like APP/00000000/0000
8) Go back to the website/click on the link in the e-mail and select the "Apply for Certificate of Clearance" and "Login via FIN" options
9) Complete the form again and pay the fee with any major credit card. Mine ended up costing 60 SGD (because it include 5SGD mailing fee).
9*) just in case, save/print the final acknowledgment page at the end for your records
10) Wait for an e-mail to tell you your application was accepted. They will give you your application reference number (#00000000) and tell you where to submit your physical fingerprints along with a Payment Receipt. You will need to mail in both fingerprints and the receipt to the provided address.
11) Go and get your fingerprinting done at a legitimate place - using the form provided in the appeal approval e-mail from step 7.
12) Mail in all required documents to the provided address ( i recommend courier or other mailing service with tracking numbers)
13) Wait for the decision and final COC in your mail (heard it can take a while since they use snail mail and not courier services)

-9/23: obtained fingerprints and mailed to Singapore (via Fedex with ETA delivery 9/28)

Some additional notes:
- when you apply for COC you get two options of how to obtain your final COC. First one is via mail which I chose. It costs extra 5 SGD and will take time. Second option is to use a Proxy. It means that if you have a friend or family member in Singapore, they will be able to pick it up themselves from a Singaporean office. You will have to complete a release form etc. but it will be quicker. Since they can pick it up and just scan it for you. Obviously I didn't have anybody to ask so chose the mail option.
- the website is pretty crappy and might take multiple reloads. I had best success using Internet Explorer or Mozilla browsers
- i only know this info from my experience. If you have questions it's very possible i won't know the answer. Just thought I'd share this since i haven't seen a recent COC post.
- if it helps for context: I'm a south east national residing in US currently for work. I was in Singapore a few years ago for Study Abroad and Internship Abroad program. I retained my Work Pass Card and other documentation from that time. I won't be able to help if you don't have your NRIC card.

Hey star_juu, thank you for your sharing. I'm also sending my fingerprint to Singapore via UPS at the moment. May I know if you gave your Courier service any number of SPF? My UPS guy required it and I googled for some number. In the end, I found out that it's the main number of a different Department and not the Dept responsible for Police Clearance...

Also, did your Courier have any trouble delivering the fingerprint? I got this update from the delivery guy "Our driver requires security access for this delivery. We are attempting to obtain the access information. " Although I gave the exact address as in the confirmation email.

star_juu

Sep 24, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hey star_juu, thank you for your sharing. I'm also sending my fingerprint to Singapore via UPS at the moment. May I know if you gave your Courier service any number of SPF? My UPS guy required it and I googled for some number. In the end, I found out that it's the main number of a different Department and not the Dept responsible for Police Clearance...

Also, did your Courier have any trouble delivering the fingerprint? I got this update from the delivery guy "Our driver requires security access for this delivery. We are attempting to obtain the access information. " Although I gave the exact address as in the confirmation email.
I used fedex and don’t recall having to give them a phone number. However, from my experience, I don’t think it will matter since couriers rarely call even when delivering items. It’s just for their records.

as for delivery, they didn’t have any issues delivering. I’m sure in your case they will try re-delivering your item during business hours again. Good luck!

Geevitaa

Jan 21, 2021

Summary of process:

Some additional notes:
Hi,

I am a secondary applicant and my husband is the primary PR applicant. Can I use his ITA to get my COC as I studied in Singapore.

Vani79

Dec 29, 2017

Summary of process:

Some additional notes:
Thanks for sharing this. I just want to know if this would be the same process if you're applying for a study permit. Do we have to wait for a request from IRCC as well? Thank you

gabernalt

Jul 16, 2020
Hello everyone!

Could anybody share where did you get your fingerprints taken? It says it has to be done at a legitimate place (such as police stations), but would want to hear your past experiences.

@star_juu- Thank you very much for sharing your experience and starting this chain!

Brizzy31

Aug 26, 2022
Hi, just wanted to know if the application status on COC Enquiry page remains "Accepted, Pending Fingerprint", even after our fingerprints have been delivered to them? My fingerprints were delivered on 19th august 2022 but the application status still shows pending fingerprints.

Reactions: waiter123

waiter123

Sep 28, 2020
Hi, just wanted to know if the application status on COC Enquiry page remains "Accepted, Pending Fingerprint", even after our fingerprints have been delivered to them? My fingerprints were delivered on 19th august 2022 but the application status still shows pending fingerprints.
@Brizzy31 Can you please post timeline of when your status changed and when you got your COC? I am non-Singaporean and applying from overseas. My fingerprints were delivered on 2022-10-31 and after 7 days, status still shows as "Accepted, Pending Fingerprint". Very stressed so will be helpful to know what your timeline was. Thank you.