+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN,Tax and citizenship

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
I have came into Canada after Canadian PR card got expired without completing residency obligation. Because of which I have not able to get my SIN. Hence I was not able to work or file taxes. Now I have completed my residency obligation and was able to renew my PR card and got my SIN number.
I have been in Canada for nearly 2 year 8 months as of now, To apply for citizenship one of the requirement is to file 3 years of taxes.

Can I file all three years of taxes at once now and then apply for citizenship or do I have to file only one year of tax now and I
need to wait for 2 more years and then apply for citizenship.

Please advise

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Filing a tax return is not strictly required, you only need to file taxes if you have taxes to pay, or you wish to claim a refund, or other reasons outlined in https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html. The bigger question is why did you not file your taxes, did you not make any income? Did you check to make sure you weren't owing anything and didn't bother? You can file taxes up to ten years in the past, if you had income in any of those years I would file those taxes ASAP, if you have anything owing the CRA can treat it as a failure to report income (especially if the owed amount is larger than $500 in a given tax year) and charge you significant penalties on it. Likewise, if the CRA owes you anything in those years, you should file the taxes and claim the refund to which you are entitled to.

That being said, if any amounts owed are large enough, you may be able to get the CRA to grant you penalty relief if you voluntarily disclose before they contact you, see https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/interest-penalties.html . I would also consult a tax lawyer if you have a lot (like, tens of thousands) owing.

Last edited:

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Thank you for your reply. As I did not have SIN, So I could not work and hence I did not have income. I lived from previous savings.
Ah, gotcha. Not a regular thing, I'd wait until you are crisp and clear from all standpoints and then apply. And also I'd try to find a good immigration lawyer and pay them for what they think. I don't believe in consultants, but a lawyer should do. I also haven't seen a similar case here not in the last couple of years anyways, so unless you find a similar situation in the forum history and try to PM that person for their story I don't believe anyone can help you. Sorry mate, not my bowl of soup, don't want to spoil it any further

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Ah, gotcha. Not a regular thing, I'd wait until you are crisp and clear from all standpoints and then apply. And also I'd try to find a good immigration lawyer and pay them for what they think. I don't believe in consultants, but a lawyer should do. I also haven't seen a similar case here not in the last couple of years anyways, so unless you find a similar situation in the forum history and try to PM that person for their story I don't believe anyone can help you. Sorry mate, not my bowl of soup, don't want to spoil it any further
Thank you and appreciate your answer.

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Filing a tax return is not strictly required, you only need to file taxes if you have taxes to pay, or you wish to claim a refund, or other reasons outlined in https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html. The bigger question is why did you not file your taxes, did you not make any income? Did you check to make sure you weren't owing anything and didn't bother? You can file taxes up to ten years in the past, if you had income in any of those years I would file those taxes ASAP, if you have anything owing the CRA can treat it as a failure to report income (especially if the owed amount is larger than $500 in a given tax year) and charge you significant penalties on it. Likewise, if the CRA owes you anything in those years, you should file the taxes and claim the refund to which you are entitled to.

That being said, if any amounts owed are large enough, you may be able to get the CRA to grant you penalty relief if you voluntarily disclose before they contact you, see https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/interest-penalties.html . I would also consult a tax lawyer if you have a lot (like, tens of thousands) owing.
Thank you for your reply. As I did not have SIN, So I could not work and hence I did not have income. I lived from previous savings.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have came into Canada after Canadian PR card got expired without completing residency obligation. Because of which I have not able to get my SIN. Hence I was not able to work or file taxes. Now I have completed my residency obligation and was able to renew my PR card and got my SIN number.
I have been in Canada for nearly 2 year 8 months as of now, To apply for citizenship one of the requirement is to file 3 years of taxes.

Can I file all three years of taxes at once now and then apply for citizenship or do I have to file only one year of tax now and I
need to wait for 2 more years and then apply for citizenship.

Please advise
Tricky. You were still a tax resident but didn’t have a SIN so I actually think you do need to file taxes but not sure whether you’ll encounter issues due when you got your SIN#. You will need to contact CRA.

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Tricky. You were still a tax resident but didn’t have a SIN so I actually think you do need to file taxes but not sure whether you’ll encounter issues due when you got your SIN#. You will need to contact CRA.
Thank you @canuck78. I will do that and also contact attorney and take his advice too.

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
CRA helpline is actually where I would start to have an idea, do some research and verify with an accountant.
Contacted CRA and they said I can file all three years at same time. Accountant has no idea on this, as related to immigration also. Finally I am filing three years with help of Accountant. Thanks for all your help.