+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Number Incorrect

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
Hello everyone,

I posted a thread last year about this same issue. I had just received my Canadian permanent residency and my SIN number had been changed. My employer put the old SIN number on my T4 and told me they changed it so everything would be fine for this year.

Fast forward to this year... and it still has not been changed. My T4 still reflects my old SIN number. They are telling me again that everything is fine, that it is ok to file under the old SIN number and that they will change it for next year. They are refusing to resend another T4 with a different SIN number. This is the second year in a row this happens....

I am very much doubting that "everything is ok." Can someone clear this up for me? Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If there is no issue in the last year, why do you think there is one this year?

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
If there is no issue in the last year, why do you think there is one this year?
They never sent the T4s with the correct SIN numbers, I can't bring them up on my CRA Account. Last year it had just recently been changed. It just doesn't seem right to keep filing taxes under a wrong SIN number. I don't want this to come back to haunt me years down the line.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
They never sent the T4s with the correct SIN numbers, I can't bring them up on my CRA Account. Last year it had just recently been changed. It just doesn't seem right to keep filing taxes under a wrong SIN number. I don't want this to come back to haunt me years down the line.
Then you should have your employer amend your T4 with the correct SIN. Its not a issue if your T4 has the old SIN because CRA has all accounts under your old and new SIN. But if you feel better with a new SIN then tell your employer to amend your T4

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
Then you should have your employer amend your T4 with the correct SIN. Its not a issue if your T4 has the old SIN because CRA has all accounts under your old and new SIN. But if you feel better with a new SIN then tell your employer to amend your T4
They are refusing to change it, unfortunately. They just say they will have it fixed for next year. I don't like that the T4s are not appearing in my CRA portal, and my old account/SIN number do not even work on their website any more. Maybe I am just blowing things out of proportion and CRA really doesn't care? I was worried about having to pay fines, etc.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
They are refusing to change it, unfortunately. They just say they will have it fixed for next year. I don't like that the T4s are not appearing in my CRA portal, and my old account/SIN number do not even work on their website any more. Maybe I am just blowing things out of proportion and CRA really doesn't care? I was worried about having to pay fines, etc.
It would be the employer responsibility to amend T4. If CRA does come back, they will go to your employer instead of you since its their responsibility to amend and then give you the T4.

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
The R1 is appearing in my Revenu Quebec portal with the correct SIN number so there does not appear to be any issue there, I just still do not see the T4 listed in CRA's portal.
It would be the employer responsibility to amend T4. If CRA does come back, they will go to your employer instead of you since its their responsibility to amend and then give you the T4.
Thank you, that is comforting.