+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number - Changing from Temporary to Permanent

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
does temporary 9-digit SIN remains valid once you received COPR? Within How many days I need to get new SIN number for PR holders? my current temporary SIN is Valid till Jan 2023 & I don't want to change my SIN as I don't want to inform my employer that I am PR holder immediately.
Thanks in advance.
after you land, you have few days to change your SIN.

Reactions: KMayur

kiki26

Jan 11, 2022
I've got my eCoPR on Dec 2, still waiting for PR Card to come in the mail. no confirmation from IRCC on my photos nor address.
I am trying to apply for a new SIN. I was in a work permit and turned a PR through my spouse.
Does anyone have an idea if I need to "update SIN" or "Change Status" in the SIN Application?

welpppppppp! :)

Draic Kin

Sep 18, 2021
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
I just talked to Service Canada about switching from temporary to permanent SIN and wanted to inform you guys in case someone finds it to be helpful.

Basically, temporary SIN is still valid until expiry date and can still be used for filing taxes, etc. as per usual even if you have PR now. I asked if I can apply for new SIN after I file my taxes for 2021 to avoid any confusion with the CRA and they told me yes, this is doable.

So, the bottom line is, as long as the existing temporary SIN is still valid, you can apply for the new permanent SIN any time you like, and then inform your employer, bank, etc. The important part is that once CRA obtains the new SIN information from Service Canada automatically, they cancel the old one and My Account with CRA will not be accessible anymore. So, you will need to register again with CRA with the new SIN. The whole process from applying for a new SIN with Service Canada (online or in person) until CRA updates the SIN takes about a week or two.

Reactions: RobynCarpenter

Mnz63

Mar 12, 2019
I've got my eCoPR on Dec 2, still waiting for PR Card to come in the mail. no confirmation from IRCC on my photos nor address.
I am trying to apply for a new SIN. I was in a work permit and turned a PR through my spouse.
Does anyone have an idea if I need to "update SIN" or "Change Status" in the SIN Application?

welpppppppp! :)
yes, you need to update your SIN. Whether there is a deadline or not, I don't think there is, but I'm not sure.

Sree2750

Star Member
Oct 27, 2021
Does anyone know how we can connect our old CRA to the new one after getting a new SIN after PR. How do we ensure that the information is passed on.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Does anyone know how we can connect our old CRA to the new one after getting a new SIN after PR. How do we ensure that the information is passed on.
Sometimes when you try to log in you will get a pop up to call a number to update, sometimes it gets updated on its own.

Reactions: Sree2750