+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New citizenship rules affecting foreign workers

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
I completely understand and I've read it. You aren't Canadian. If you think they want citizenship being handed out like condoms in a gay bar, think again! You aren't entitled to citizenship... I don't understand why you don't get thid.
I don't understand why are you saying what you are saying either. That's OK, we each will be left with our own opinions.
I am not Canadian, I want to be one and I don't want this privilege to be taken away from me just because that's a fashionable trend now.
The only thing I am sorry about is that you will be getting citizenship one day too and will be allowed to vote...that's a dangerous start. I think you were born in a wrong place though, you should be living in Russia with Putin, you two will find lots of common to talk about (I know, I lived there:)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I read through most of the thread and would add my two cents rather questions.

If this bill is right, then say i stayed in Canada for a number of years paying much higher taxes possibly than an initial PR (because i am on a work permit with a highly skilled job) vs may be a PR who initially has to struggle for a while to get a job (i cannot stay here without job at all), then get a PR. So some who applies from abroad, got a PR with me and landed is considered equal to me in terms of candidacy for citizenship? That doesn't sound fair to me.

Not to mention the odds of paying taxes (may be more than a regular Canadian) because initially we face issues with say developing a credit rating, car financing, house mortgage because every financial institution is worried we are "temp residents" and might leave country any day. So we either get much higher interest rates with every thing along with several other restrictions.

Also not to mention that we pay taxes from day one, but start getting many benefits MUCH MUCH latter such as child support contribution only starts at least 18 months after being on work permit.

If this bill is through, going through several years above look like wasted? No?

I do understand the point that a little further delay helps preventing those people who have plans of taking passport and move else where. However, i dont feel the above should be ignored either.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
There are no victims. This isn't discrimination and Canadians have the right to make pr be here for a reasonable period of time before getting citizenship. The only people who are signing this are those who are ignoring the facts.
This is what Canadian (real Canadian) are saying.

David Evans SACKVILLE, CANADA : "This just doesn't make sense economically. When we have an aging population and a shrinking tax base we should be trying to retain workers and students from abroad that have already been living and studying/working in Canada."

Janine Brophy ST. JOHN'S, CANADA: "I have friends who live in Canada on temporary work and study permits, and they are injecting talent and diversity into our economies in a much-needed way. One of these students recently was on a team with me to represent our university at an international competition. He was chosen as 1 of 4 students, out of the entire student body, because he brought skills that no other student had. Bills like this will only serve to alienate these great people from participating in what our great country has to offer."

Nicolae Braghis CALGARY, CANADA: "It is just unfair. They paid taxes and were part of the community. No credit for those years is like stealing their biggest dream of becoming Canadians. "Yes guys, just wait other 4 years and maybe, just maybe we won`t change the law again"."

Isabelle Levesque MONTRéAL, CANADA: "Workers and students from foreign countries are the people who have the most positive impact on our economy"

Marianne van den Heuvel STRATFORD, CANADA: "Although I am Canadian-born, my parents were immigrants. They left their family, friends and everything they knew to start a new life here. It was terribly difficult in the first ten years, establishing a new business, raising a family and learning to become part of a new community. There are enough roadblocks set up for people trying to immigrate, why add more bureaucracy and more hoops to jump through once they are here and functioning as part of our society? What is the rationale?"

Read more at:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aquareo said:
Signed and let's hope some bright minds in the parliament think rationally.
They are. Unlike this group, they are thinking about the bigger pictures and problems that exist. Allowing pr's to get the passport quicker to allow them to travel to other countries quicker isnt a reason that will make them chsnge their minds.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
They are. Unlike this group, they are thinking about the bigger pictures and problems that exist. Allowing pr's to get the passport quicker to allow them to travel to other countries quicker isnt a reason that will make them chsnge their minds.
Yes, sure, keep writing your short slogans from government's "Wolf Wolf" statements and disregard the data/posts you can't answer. But I do appreciate your comments keeping this post at the top :)

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You state Canadians disagree with the proposal based on 5 quotes?

You are a silly man.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
sashali78 said:
Yes, sure, keep writing your short slogans from government's "Wolf Wolf" statements and disregard the data/posts you can't answer. But I do appreciate your comments keeping this post at the top :)
I agree! It's good entertainment.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
You state Canadians disagree with the proposal based on 5 quotes?

You are a silly man.
Wow, it looks like you keep producing "pearls". Unlike silly me, I am sure you a real national treasure for both your country and Canada ;D
What I am stating can be found on the petition and as soon as you will be capable of forming more than one sentence with real arguments and do it in inoffensive nature I will be glad to argue it with you.
If you read the comments on the petition, you will find a few dozen quotes by native Canadians but I guess this can not satisfy you (although it is clearly more representative than ONE of your own). May I also remind you that unlike those who comment, you are not even Canadian? You are just one bitter immigrant.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Guys lets not get into personal insults on this - you both have your own opinions and there's no point in getting personal on an Internet forum. ;)

The sad truth is that a petition of less than 3,000 signatures isn't going to change the govt's mind. I don't think a petition of any size would actually as the immigrant voice in most countries goes unheard - regardless of how many citizens are also in support.

Everyone jumped for joy when CEC eligibility was cut from two years to one and when the student stream was cut. People are getting their PR quicker. Which is the first step to stability.
Simply put: we can't have it all, we can't demand a country that has one of the most progressive immigration systems already, to continue working in an immigrant's favour.

A good government will bend and flex and make changes according to a country's needs (hence the November discontinuation of certain nocs in CEC) - I'd rather have controlled immigration than a country to become an immigration haven -- which then only goes to attract the wrong kind of immigrants: those who are unlike all of us here.

Do I think it's fair that our time here isn't recognized become becoming PR? No. Do I find it somewhat disrespectful that we pay taxes, contribute to the economy, live and integrate in to society here and that this no longer counts towards citizenship? Yes.

But I would much rather take an easier path to PR and a longer one to citizenship than the other way round!!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
Wow, it looks like you keep producing "pearls". Unlike silly me, I am sure you a real national treasure for both your country and Canada ;D
What I am stating can be found on the petition and as soon as you will be capable of forming more than one sentence with real arguments and do it in inoffensive nature I will be glad to argue it with you.
If you read the comments on the petition, you will find a few dozen quotes by native Canadians but I guess this can not satisfy you (although it is clearly more representative than ONE of your own). May I also remind you that unlike those who comment, you are not even Canadian? You are just one bitter immigrant.
Dozens of quotes don't amount to the opinion of all canaduan citizens. I've already explained my thoughts on the matter.

Your use of bitter is just as bad as your initial suggestion that the proposed bill was discrimination.

I'm incredibly happy to be a pr, so much so that I'll be happy to stay for however long canada requires for me to be here for for me to become a citizen.

You are the one who comes across as bitter, just incase you haven't worked that out.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
Dozens of quotes don't amount to the opinion of all canaduan citizens. I've already explained my thoughts on the matter.

Your use of bitter is just as bad as your initial suggestion that the proposed bill was discrimination.

I'm incredibly happy to be a pr, so much so that I'll be happy to stay for however long canada requires for me to be here for for me to become a citizen.

You are the one who comes across as bitter, just in case you haven't worked that out.
Nah, not bitter at all. Just doing what I can to influence the injustice in the Bill and trying to change it. And since we are back to normal lines of discussion, I want to present few questions to you as a Bill supporter (I am only referencing to the the pre-PR time as I do support the Bill as a general measure)
1. How will not counting the pre-PR time help to fight the fraud (one of the aims of the Bill)?
2. Isn't it contradictory to the major claim of the Bill to have applicants form stronger socio-economic ties in Canada before the application? (aren't it hurting the same population with the most established ties?)
3. Isn't the backlog "solution" will be just temporary until one year later when all those eligible will start applying again?
4. Isn't applying the Bill on all PR's retroactively is sort of breaking promise and "immigration contract" with those who arrived to Canada based on existing laws?
5. Isn't , based on (4) it is going to hurt Canada economically by turning away thousands of potential students and high skilled workers going to other countries (like Australia for example)? Who is going to trust Canada when laws and regulations changing every few years and being applied retroactively with no transition period?
6. Finally, I understand you just become a PR, what makes you think that after you are eligible, in 4 years from now, Canada will not change the laws again, say by another 4-5 years? Would you be still as supportive of the Bill as you are now?

As you might have guessed , the petition is not the only way I and others who support the cause and ready to volunteer for it are going to fight the Bill. Say tuned. Whoever wish to support, please do sign the petition at: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
And if you wish to volunteer, please send an email to : FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com

splendor

Nov 21, 2013
I have been going thru this discussion. Here is my take on it.

I just became a PR last month and was told by the immigration officer that I could apply for my citizenship in 2 years from that date, ie around Jan 2016, assuming I stay in Canada for 2 years. Where this bill discriminates is, it changes the rules of the game midway and tells me that whatever was promised to me holds no good now. Lets assume that this bill becomes law in the next 6 months and my Citizenship application date moved forward to Jan 2017. Next, in 2016, they identify that this 4 year thing is not working- people are still fleeing and they plan to increase it to 5 years....so my date revises to Jan 2017....and this funny game of catching up continues to life in eternity. All this is hypothetical, but for me, this would be discriminatory.

All future rules should take effect from the date they become law, and should not be applied retrospectively. If fraud is what you want to fight, there are better ways to do it. If they think PR's gain Citizenship and then flee, only to come back to use the health care system, plug that gap. Don't cut the hand if the finger is infected.

That is what the Canadian government did with the 4 year cap on temporary work permits. They set the rule to start immediately, but people who were in Canada were still allowed to continue till April 2015, even if that meant they exceed the 4 year rule.

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
http://m.thestar.com/#!/opinion/citizenship-reforms-odious/a4d73d22aa01945d3dc2fe8a7dd97c96