+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the contrary, as I wrote before, it would probably have negative effect towards a) preserving jobs, b) increasing share of welfarists among immigrants, c) bringing less money for Canadian education system, d) less taxes collected (since highly-skilled workers and students may prefer to go elsewhere being replaced by low-skilled immigrants).
a) nonsence. You said by yoursefl - Canadians do not care about your citizenship ot you are PR. because there is no big difference in any circumstances in life in Canada. b). another nonsenceSee a). c)Genuine people do not care about getting citizenship so much but about getting PR. Those who complain about citizen so much make Canadaians think that they come to Canada only for citizenship. d) It is nothing to do with PR status or citizenship. And if people who came to Canada only for getting its citizenship , well, Canada only wins if they "go somewhere else". Good luck there. :D

I could understand you, guys, if there would be some difference between temporary workers getting PR and students. That will be offensive. But other then that- no privilege is not a reason to complain.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Double Standards as in - Granting Citizenship to those who have lived enough in Canada because they have better understanding of Canada and on the other hand not recognizing the time spent in Canada
No. Period of living in Canada does not make a person "better integrated". Some people, look around :), are not integrated EVEN with citizenship. So if you live in Canada as a PR for 3 years or 4 , YEARS do not make you "integrated". You could be intergeted within 2 years and it could take all you life and you still will not be integrated.

Having PR is adequate enough to do pretty much everything (bar vote) in Canada.
Exectly! So all that fuss about nothing make people think they need citizenship only for using system.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a) nonsence. You said by yoursefl - Canadians do not care about your citizenship ot you are PR. because there is no big difference in any circumstances in life in Canada. b). another nonsenceSee a). c)Genuine people do not care about getting citizenship so much but about getting PR. Those who complain about citizen so much make Canadaians think that they come to Canada only for citizenship. d) It is nothing to do with PR status or citizenship. And if people who came to Canada only for getting its citizenship , well, Canada only wins if they "go somewhere else". Good luck there. Cheesy
Sorry @Regina, you didn't understand the part you are referring to. This is not about the Canadians' opinion. This is about implications for Canada as a country in case of passing this new bill. And why do I think that highly-skilled and motivated people might go elsewhere? Because contrary to a lot of other immigrants, they have options to choose from. And they might not like the country which changes its immigration rules every couple of months, and now would not reward their work/study time toward their citizenship. Just think about a student willing to spend ~100K for studies in Canada/Australia/USA/New Zealand, or a high-skilled worker who got job offers from couple of countries... Where would these guys go? And is it ok for Canada to say 'Good luck there' to these guys?

So, my point is, Canada won't be getting those high-skilled immigrants. Instead, there will be more low-skilled immigrants. Which would lead to more trouble for Canadians.

P.s. I have a funny feeling, that you guys, don't event understand the problems you are talking about. I encourage you to do some research and apply some basic math. There's an international market hunting for high-skilled immigrants, and this market is very competitive. And Canada has hurt its reputation already due to some recent decisions. It would be unfortunate to hurt it even more.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Regina said:
No. Period of living in Canada does not make a person "better integrated". Some people, look around :), are not integrated EVEN with citizenship. So if you live in Canada as a PR for 3 years or 4 , YEARS do not make you "integrated". You could be intergeted within 2 years and it could take all you life and you still will not be integrated.
Exectly! So all that fuss about nothing make people think they need citizenship only for using system.
So what actually makes you integrated ?. Longer residency is what Canada has advised for it's future Citizens to be Canadianized and now you are saying that even longer residency does not make a person Canadian. When i was in Canada, people did ask me about the time i have been living in Canada and as Taleodor mentioned no one talks about the pre PR or post PR time in Canada.This country has become so mindless that it does not want to recognize the time spent within it's own boundaries, but want people to stay longer to know more about Canada. My question is how the hell would you know about living in Canada ?. Do you have an answer to this Regina ?, other then repeating the same tune that your master has taught you. I'am more than happy to accept this clause if you come up with some logical reasons behind your arguments.

Mate, you seem to be so confused that you are not practicing what you are preaching. What are you talking about ?, do you even have a bit of sense of the topic ?. You mean to say we are asking for Citizenship because we want to use Canada for our benifits ?. Well then let me be straight to you, Yes i do want to get Canada's Citizenship because as an International student or worker i have earned your countries Citizenship. This country has given me nothing for free(nor do i expect), I have paid for whatever i'am getting here so do not brag about Canada being a charity runner. Students or International workers put in or invest a huge amount of money and we can invest it somewhere else if we had no intensions of living in Canada. You better need to read the following before you think of us as beggers in your country.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/education/report-rapport/economic-impact-economique/index.aspx

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Longer residency is what Canada has advised for it's future Citizens to be Canadianized and now you are saying that even longer residency does not make a person Canadian.
Canada does not advise that. No county advised that. Because the length of stay does not matter much. It depends on a person and its mentality. As I said some integrates faster than other, some new citizens (!!) do not integrate at all. So the lenght of living in Canada has nothing to do with integrating.

The rule 4 of 5 (and current 3 of 4 years) of residence is important in terms whether the immigrant has and had an intent to actually LIVE in Canada or just to use the systems.

To tell the truth I am not happy with paying for rescue operations for moving out "Canadaian citizens" from some dangerous situations in some "home countries" , where they live with their exteneded families (and not paying taxes, of course , in Canada) and do not care about Canada till they are in danger in their county of birth and now Canada HAS to save thier asses and I have to pay for that with my taxes, eh? They are not tourists - Canadian citizens on vacation, they just happen to be holders of Canadian passports. ANd now Canada has to take care of them? What the hell?

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
So what actually makes you integrated ?. Longer residency is what Canada has advised for it's future Citizens to be Canadianized and now you are saying that even longer residency does not make a person Canadian. When i was in Canada, people did ask me about the time i have been living in Canada and as Taleodor mentioned no one talks about the pre PR or post PR time in Canada.This country has become so mindless that it does not want to recognize the time spent within it's own boundaries, but want people to stay longer to know more about Canada. My question is how the hell would you know about living in Canada ?. Do you have an answer to this Regina ?, other then repeating the same tune that your master has taught you. I'am more than happy to accept this clause if you come up with some logical reasons behind your arguments.

Mate, you seem to be so confused that you are not practicing what you are preaching. What are you talking about ?, do you even have a bit of sense of the topic ?. You mean to say we are asking for Citizenship because we want to use Canada for our benifits ?. Well then let me be straight to you, Yes i do want to get Canada's Citizenship because as an International student or worker i have earned your countries Citizenship. This country has given me nothing for free(nor do i expect), I have paid for whatever i'am getting here so do not brag about Canada being a charity runner. Students or International workers put in or invest a huge amount of money and we can invest it somewhere else if we had no intensions of living in Canada. You better need to read the following before you think of us as beggers in your country.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/education/report-rapport/economic-impact-economique/index.aspx
Mate, you seem to a have a serious case of entitlement complex. Just because you spend your money to get a world class education in Canada does not mean Canada owes you something in return. You could have taken your money somewhere else and you would still not be entitled to citizenship of that country. If you want to put your money to work for you to get residency, i suggest you stop wasting your time and money on an education and look into the investor program.

I think you guys are confusing this whole thing with residency options for students/ workers vs citizenship. so let me try and clear this up. No country (including Canada) guarantees you residency, let alone citizenship, when you seek a student/ temp worker visa. It is clear as it can be. Most People coming here are aware of that. they are also aware of the options available to them for immigrating here. But if you take those for granted than you are only kidding yourself. The number student visa's issued each year far outnumber the PR visa's available through various means (CEC, PNP's etc). so a smart person will consider that and have a plan B.

As for highly skilled people, they still have the same options of getting PR as they did before. which is usually the first thing a person will consider. citizenship comes later and every country has their own rules, which quite frankly they can change as they wish. Point in case, australia, they change PR rules every 6 months or so. Its very hard to get a US green card after a student visa. Same with UK. Of the list of countries flogged around, Canada has by far the easiest immigration options for students/ workers at the moment. Thats why people flock here, thats why you are here. But all this is irrelevant to the topic at hand since this is about PR.

The issue here is about citizenship, which is completely different from what you keep talking about re PR options.

Let me ask you this: if you have PR of canada and can live, work, travel etc freely, why is it so important to have citizenship right away?

Again, PR is an opportunity and Citizenship is a privilege and should be considered such, nobody owes you anything just because youre spending money here; you are getting an education in return. and name calling does not help your case when trying to get your point across, just makes you look childish and immature.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, my point is, Canada won't be getting those high-skilled immigrants. Instead, there will be more low-skilled immigrants
Well, there are no many countries with such a favorable immigration policy. So, I do not think there could be shortage of immigrants to Canada EVER.

And if Canada needs low skilled workers, because it has enough its own high skilled- it is Canada's right to make the rules. And if immigrants do not like the rules, too bad. Stay home then or go somewhere else where you will be granted citizenship at POE. ;)

You paid for one of the best education in the world, so you got what you paid for.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
taleodor said:
Why do you guys spend so much time writing these posts, but don't want to do a simple fact checking?

This is plain false for study and work permits. It is normal for an applicant for a Work/Study Permit, that they want both to work/study in Canada and to immigrate. This is called 'Dual Intentions', and is officially acknowledged by CIC, and work/study permits also give an easier path to immigration. The officers are not checking that a potential student/worker is not going to settle down in Canada. Instead, they need a proof that an applicant will return to his/her country in the event that say (s)he doesn't have job or study any more, of if their PR application is turned down.

@ just_do_it Needless to say, that since your base assumption is false, all subsequent implications are false as well. But still, let me walk you through couple of points.

This is also false. After 5 years in Canada, I know more than a few Canadians, PRs, temp workers and students. The only question people ask is 'How long have you been in Canada?'. No one even thinks to ask 'How long have you been in Canada with PR?' People in general are smart enough to realize that there's no difference between PR-time and pre-PR time. On the contrary, they feel that something is wrong with the Immigration, when they see a person who is for so long in Canada, and his/her case was delayed for years, and this person cannot apply for citizenship. I.e., I met a Police officer in Montreal, who couldn't believe that Immigration was processing my case for more than 3 years.

None of Canadians I talked to cared about the time. This is also why you cannot provide any proof to your statement. In my experience, people here care about these things regarding immigrants: 1) preserving jobs for Canadians, 2) fraud prevention, 3) not letting terrorists/criminals slip through the system, 4) avoid immigrants who come here to get on welfare and use Government services, while doing nothing. Eliminating pre-PR time from citizenship consideration doesn't make any positive effect on any of these. On the contrary, as I wrote before, it would probably have negative effect towards a) preserving jobs, b) increasing share of welfarists among immigrants, c) bringing less money for Canadian education system, d) less taxes collected (since highly-skilled workers and students may prefer to go elsewhere being replaced by low-skilled immigrants).
regarding 'dual intent', i very much doubt what you are saying is true. If you have it documented somewhere, i would love to read it.
As far as i know, when you apply for a student/ work visa, the intention is to study/ work in Canada for the approved time and return home. Yes, there are immigration options available here but the intention of those is to try and keep the cream of crop aka highly skilled people in Canada. You think Canada intends to give PR to every tom dick and harry that comes here as a student? i very much doubt it.
Do you know anyone who has explained to the VO in their student application that their future intentions are to settle in Canada after finishing school? I dont. why? because thats an automatic rejection right there. What they are looking at is that a student will return home after finishing their study.

regarding your second point, Yes I do believe it is unreasonable that it can take years to process a routine application that could have been completed in a reasonable time. Unfortunately, this unreasonable delay in application processing is not counted towards your residency requirements for citizenship. I think the issue here is that processing times need to be brought down to acceptable levels and CIC needs to act to reduce backlogs and process applications faster. so, if there is ever a petition for this, i will gladly sign up. But thats not what we are talking about here.

regarding your third point, it is completely irrelevant. Increasing pre-PR time before citizenship does not affect any of these points since you can still do what every canadain citizen can with a PR card, except vote. And for those crying about not being able to apply for govt jobs, it is mostly federal govt jobs and trust me, you dont want to work for the feds when they are cutting jobs all over the place. I know many who got provincial govt jobs as PR's but then it had mostly to do with their skills rather than what passport they had.

I fail to understand how increasing time spent in canada before Citizenship can (as per your arguments):
1. preserve less jobs for canadians (no idea how this is affected)
2. increase welfare recipients (really? how so? are PR's not allowed to work?)
3. Letting criminals slip through the system (no idea how this is related as criminal checks are done when applying for PR)
4. Less money going into canadian education system (how? the education system runs off of taxes. it is only the schools and universities that benefit solely from international student tutions. None of that money goes into the Canadian education system)
5. less taxes collected (again, i dont agree with this. PR options are still available to students and workers. Once they get PR, they can do 99% of the things that citizens can. As far as highly skilled workers are concerned, they will go wherever they get paid most. and frankly, a lot of them use Canadian PR and citizenship as a stepping stone to make it easier for them to travel and work in other countries (mostly US). A lot of foreign students from the US get canadian PR because their options of getting a green card are limited and then move back to US to work.
The fact is, a lot of people are coming to Canada because of their still available family re-unification program i.e. being able to bring your family, including parents and grandparents, siblings etc over to canada. And someone with a PR status can do that, dont need to be a citizen. thats why so many apply to immigrate to Canada. Take that option away and the number of applications will drop. But making it harder/ longer to get citizenship will not affect the # of people applying to come to canada.

Go to CBC website and read comments on any immigration article and it will tell you what a lot of Canadians think about immigration policies. You may have spent 5 years in Canada but i dont think you have a good grasp of things related to Canada. What i do think is that if this bill passes, it affects you as in it will take you 2 extra years to get citizenship. which is not that big of a deal to me to be honest because i think a PR card is sufficient to do everything in canada (unless you really want to vote in which case you wont be able to vote in 2015 anyways and you should have your citizenship by the 2019 elections, even with the new rules).

So, no need to call people who have different views 'sheep' or 'slaves'.

Let me ask you this, if you get your PR, why is it so important to have citizenship right away? What is it that you cannot do as PR card holder that you need citizenship for? Honest question, i am very intrigued to find out.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
@ just do it, i do have an entitlement complex and i really never came across an immigrant-student-worker who has left his/her country without thinking about the entitlements that Canada offers, Citizenship being one of them. I don't have problems with strenghtening of the Citizenship or stepping hard on the Citizens of convenience but rejecting stay inside Canada to become Canadian seems insane to me.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
@ just do it, i do have an entitlement complex and i really never came across an immigrant-student-worker who has left his/her country without thinking about the entitlements that Canada offers, Citizenship being one of them. I don't have problems with strenghtening of the Citizenship or stepping hard on the Citizens of convenience but rejecting stay inside Canada to become Canadian seems insane to me.
Entitled to you entitlements, eh?

I have never come across a student/ worker in Canada who does not wish to immigrate either. But i have always looked at it as an opportunity because not everyone gets PR. If it was considered an entitlement, then everybody would get it. So there's a difference. and nobody gets citizenship directly. so there is no entitlement involved.

As far as citizenship goes, it can be considered an entitlement once you become PR but i like to consider it as a privilege (as a PR can still be denied citizenship due to various reasons and citizenships can be revoked as well).

Part of becoming a Canadian and being 'canadianzed' is learning and adopting values that canadians have, entitlement is definitely not one of them. This is what makes Canada what it is. and as a Canadian, i find it unacceptable that people demand things to be done their way and scream discrimination when convenient. Try talking to a canadian friend and telling them that you are entitled to citizenship and canada owes it to you. I'd love to see your face when they tell you otherwise.

Also, being a Canadian, i think pro-Canada, not anti-immigration. So if a change can benefit Canada in the long run, i am all for it. If this bill helps weed out Canadians of convenience and ensures that only genuine folks who want to settle in Canada are given citizenship, I will support it. Yes, it can have an affect on those with genuine intentions but i look at what is good for Canada in the long run.

I always recommend people who come from India, pakistan or wherever to leave their baggage at the airport. and by baggage i mean their hardcore beliefs, values that can act as cultural barriers. Makes it easy to assimilate. This mentality of screaming discrimination/ racism whenever convenient is what i despise. that is why i stand where i do regarding this bill and this petition.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Well how is going to be good in the long run for Canada to eliminate pre PR residence ?. Can you please specify the time considered as long run ?. Well actually i did speak to few Canadian friends of mine and their reaction to elimination of pre PR residence in Canada was like "what is wrong with this government". You guys have been living and active socially in Canada then why to hold you back, why not let you guys enjoy being called a Canadian when you have already lived in Canada for this long. My wife being a Nurse(Canadian study)would like to join few of her Canadian friends in Dubai(her Canadian friends want her to join on a 2 years contract) but the problem is that she is being offered half their pay because she is not a Canadian citizen. Where did my wife or the likes of my wife go wrong in this. She does want to join her friends and her friends want that too but Citizenship is holding her back. You took the meaning of entitlements as freebies, well a very good educated Canadian said to my wife(over Citizenship) "You have been serving Canadians and been paying your fair share towards the growth of Canada, you should be welcomed to Canadian family with open arms and at its earliest.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
Well how is going to be good in the long run for Canada to eliminate pre PR residence ?. Can you please specify the time considered as long run ?.
It was a perk/ privilege that was available in the past. They are taking it away. Simple. Limited time offer if you will.

Why change things now? Could be due to various reasons:
1. CIC trying to manage the backlog on citizenship applications by trying to reduce the # of applications. Currently, it can take 2-3 years to get citizenship after you apply. Took me 2.5 years myself. unacceptable timeline. If they get less applications due to less people being eligible at a given time, processing times may improve. May not be the ideal solution but it is a solution nonetheless.

2. CIC trying to weed out citizens of convenience. Students/ workers can get PR after 2 years of work/ study (in some cases, even less) with the immigration options available nowadays. These were not available 5-10 years ago. So hypothetical situation, someone can spend a year studying a diploma in say Saskatchewan, work 6 months and get PR through PNP, then apply for citizenship in a few years (say 2.5) and become a citizen in 4 years timeline. Not bad if that person then applies for welfare, moves back to his country and never pay taxes in canada. Workers can do the same. Would cost about the same as someone paying a canadian for a marriage of convenience. You'd be surprised at how much some people are willing to invest in terms of time and money to get a canadian passport just fr the convenience of being able to travel freely without visa's.

The crisis in Lebanon a few years ago definitely taught Canada a valuable lesson when they had to spend millions rescuing thousands of canadian citizens living there (of which about half returned back when the situation cooled down). This is only 1 country.

Who do you think pays for this? I do. You do. every working Canadian does. So yes, if there is small chance these changes can help avoid these situations in the future, i will support it.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
I would always support the ways to strenghten the Citizenship and people should know the importance of Citizenship of their adopted country. One the other hand there is no guarantee that people won't move after getting Citizenship and honestly it would be very un-Canadian to restrict someones movement. The actual problem is with the people who just hold Canadian passport for the convenience sake and have never contributed a cent towards the growth of Canada. Well there are ways to deal with this problem but rejecting the stay in Canada just by assumption that the person will move abroad and rely on Canada just for welfare is not fair. Let us be Citizens and let us enjoy whatever we can enjoy as being a Canadian(without seeing us as a possible welfare seeker), step hard on those who have never served Canada and only fall back for its welfare.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well there are ways to deal with this problem but rejecting the stay in Canada just by assumption that the person will move abroad and rely on Canada just for welfare is not fair.
That what Canada though back then when the privelege of acceptance of 1/2 time on student/working visa towards citizenship was implemented in the first place. But since then Canada learnt "Lebanon" (among other) lessons and to avoid the repetition changed its imm.rules.

Couple of years ago Canada implemented another change in terms citizenship: if children of naturalized citizen were born and raised abroad, never established themselves in Canada they cannot transfer their citizenship to their children.

So grandchildren of naturalized Canadians whose parents were citizens only because they were born to Canadian citizens abroad will not get Canadian citizenship even if their parents are "Canadians". Tell me that it is "unfair". ;) ;D

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Well Regina all the examples you have mentioned are fair and as i said people who do not contribute towards growth of Canada should be excluded from the welfare. For your information "Lebanon" does not even come close to the top sources of international students or workers in Canada. Majority are either refugees or family class Canadians or their offsprings.