+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For your information "Lebanon" does not even come close to the top sources of international students or workers in Canada. Majority are either refugees or family class Canadians or their offsprings.
Please, try to think from Canadian point of view. There is no special rewards to immigrants of different immigration programs. There is a program of accepting refugees and it is not Canadian custom to refuse something for somebody because another person in the same situation could cheat. BUT if there is a pattern of cheating of immigrants in a whole then the rules will be changed. For everbody.Because if you ask me I would make privileges only to Western Europeans and US citizens but neither to Eastern European ( I am from there by the way, and I know my people :D), nor Eastern and Western Asia, nor Latin America. Excuse me but in Brasil future immigrants HAVE to take urin test for CIC med exam with nurse present BECAUSE cheating is their "national custom". (A Brasilian told me that about the med test for CIC in Brazil :eek:).

But I am not in charge for immigration rules , so no privileges. ;D

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
The fact is that this particular clause is hurting certain immigration classes. Fair enough to ask for more time to be spent in Canada to become Canadian but the time spent in Canada is worth nothing ?. This does not gel with the strenghtening of Citizenship.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
Well how is going to be good in the long run for Canada to eliminate pre PR residence ?. Can you please specify the time considered as long run ?. Well actually i did speak to few Canadian friends of mine and their reaction to elimination of pre PR residence in Canada was like "what is wrong with this government". You guys have been living and active socially in Canada then why to hold you back, why not let you guys enjoy being called a Canadian when you have already lived in Canada for this long. My wife being a Nurse(Canadian study)would like to join few of her Canadian friends in Dubai(her Canadian friends want her to join on a 2 years contract) but the problem is that she is being offered half their pay because she is not a Canadian citizen. Where did my wife or the likes of my wife go wrong in this. She does want to join her friends and her friends want that too but Citizenship is holding her back. You took the meaning of entitlements as freebies, well a very good educated Canadian said to my wife(over Citizenship) "You have been serving Canadians and been paying your fair share towards the growth of Canada, you should be welcomed to Canadian family with open arms and at its earliest.
Well that qualifies as citizenship of convenience, does it not? Using canadian citizenship as a means to make more money in another country is what i had explained a lot of people do by using Canada as a stepping stone. That leaves the door open for people to abuse the social system in Canada (which is frankly what canadians have a problem with). For e.g. someone coming back to canada to get free medical treatment while not paying into the system because they work in another country.

I dont think i am confusing entitlement with free handouts but its the smug attitude that comes with the word entitlement in the context you use it that i have a problem with. The key is the context you use it in, you are entitled to your pension by paying into it for years. You are not entitled to canadian citizenship because you paid tution to get an education in canada or got paid to work in canada.

as far as the quote from your good educated canadian friend, he's right. Canada should accept those who work hard and want to make Canada their home. And PR is the first and most important step towards accepting those people.

Your stake in this debate is more personal since you are only looking at your personal gains and how this bill affects you. My take is more general and i am looking at the overall affect it has on Canada. Thats the reason for why we have different points of view.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Because they have lived in Canada and know what it is like to live in Canada. Someone fresh in Canada will need to stay certain time to get used to what it is like living in Canada. These two classes also become active part of the society.

@just do it i used my example just to illustrate situations arising. There is nothing in my statement that qualifies as Citizenship of convenience. This is just about providing right opportunity at right time. If you go down with this tone then all immigrants moving to Canada for whatever reasons and from wherever and become Citizens later are Citizens of convenience. Citizenship on convenience is a very broad term and you can not apply to people who seek to avail an opportunity at certain point of time temporarily.Yes people who have not been part of Canadian family and never will can be termed as Citizens of convenience.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
Well Regina all the examples you have mentioned are fair and as i said people who do not contribute towards growth of Canada should be excluded from the welfare. For your information "Lebanon" does not even come close to the top sources of international students or workers in Canada. Majority are either refugees or family class Canadians or their offsprings.
I think its your conception (what i am getting from your comments) that a student coming here for education or a worker coming to canada to work is in some way doing the country a favor and thats where the sense of entitlement comes from i think.

People move here from all walks of life and almost all of them come here for a better life because that is what canada offers. So no, nobody is doing the country a favor by spending their money here.

Changes are necessary as times have changed regarding immigration to Canada. Sometimes, changes affect genuine applicants too but there no avoiding it. Case in point, the spousal sponsorship program. Used to be you could marry off in another country and your spouse would be in canada as a PR in a matter of months (i personally know of a case in India where it took 3 months... unbelievable). But because of marriage fraud and such, rules have been changed to a 2 year conditional PR making it harder for scammers to play the system. Does it affect genuine cases, Yes. How much? Probably not a lot as you are still allowed to live and work in canada legally, which is basically what every immigrant/ prospective immigrant wants to do at the end of the day and PR allows you do that and not having citizenship does not take anything away from you.

As far as the Dubai example you gave, how is this discrimination on part of canada if those employers in dubai pay less to non-canadian passport holders? Does this not mean discrimination on part of the employers in Dubai? And would you really want to work for someone that does that sort of discrimination?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife being a Nurse(Canadian study)would like to join few of her Canadian friends in Dubai(her Canadian friends want her to join on a 2 years contract) but the problem is that she is being offered half their pay because she is not a Canadian citizen. Where did my wife or the likes of my wife go wrong in this.
HERE WE ARE! You want your wife to get Canadian citizenship and passport to LEAVE CANADA and happily use Canadian passport for working OUT of Canada (and paying taxes there too). There is a HUGE demand of nurses in Canada, but no, your wife would like to do what she wishes (no blaming for that)and because it not possible in a fast way you are not happy with CIC for doing what is necessary for Canada (what Canada "wishes" to do)? :eek: ;D

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Regina you seem to be ill informed about the middle east. There is no tax on the money she will earn in Dubai but to play things fair she will be filing her tax return on her overseas income in Canada and many Canadians working overseas do like this. So what is your take now ?.

Well just do it, i never meant that students or workers are doing a favour but yes Canada does benifit from above class of imiigrants . Your points are relevant and fair and i don't have any problems with them but time spent in Canada is time spent in knowing about Canada and this is what Citizenship demands. So students or workers do fulfill that time. As i said i like the concept or steps taken to tackle the Citizenship of convenience and this should apply to everyone, be it a Canadian by birth or by oath. There should not be any welfare handouts to people who do not contribute to Canada and also stay abroad for all their lives.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no tax on the money she will earn in Dubai
I do not care about Dubai and taxes there. I care about CANADA and taxes paid here. ;):D

Canada does benifit from above class of imiigrants
Immigrants benifit MUCH MORE from Canada.

So students or workers do fulfill that time.
Not in PR status.Tell me that parents who may spend 2 years in Canada on parent visa also should get privileges in terms of citizenship. Why only students and workers?
Because students paid tuition and workers pay taxes? For students - it was their free choice, Canada did not pulled money out of their pockets, and they ALREADY GOT WHAT THEY PAID FOR, and workers do not pay MORE taxes because of their status on WP than anybody else in Canada .
There should not be any welfare handouts to people who do not contribute to Canada and also stay abroad for all their lives.
After they got citizenship? Well, you confused me.... ::) Is it what your wife would like to do? I do not mind, Canada is a free country, but why demand the privileges for doing that?

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina: Because if you ask me I would make privileges only to Western Europeans and US citizens but neither to Eastern European ( I am from there by the way, and I know my people Cheesy), nor Eastern and Western Asia, nor Latin America. Excuse me but in Brasil future immigrants HAVE to take urin test for CIC med exam with nurse present BECAUSE cheating is their "national custom". (A Brasilian told me that about the med test for CIC in Brazil Shocked).
Is there an option to ban/flag this troll for racism and hate speech?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there an option to ban/flag this troll for racism and hate speech?
Do you think I am a rasist towards myself? :eek: ;D :D
to Eastern European ( I am from there by the way, and I know my people
;) Or that Brasilian guy was a rasist towards Brasilians? Or CIC is a rasist demanding nurse presence at urin test during CIC med exam in Brasil? ::)

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah, found -> 'Report to moderator' under the post. Don't see any point in arguing with a racist/immigrant hater btw.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it: regarding 'dual intent', i very much doubt what you are saying is true. If you have it documented somewhere, i would love to read it.
So you are trying to say, that you've written ~2 pages of text to this forum in a day, and you cannot google for 'cic.gc.ca dual intent'? Really?

I fail to understand how increasing time spent in canada before Citizenship can (as per your arguments):
It looks like it's difficult for you to understand information. Because none of what you've written there have any relation to my post. Could I kindly ask you to let me know your education level/major (if any), so I would try to adjust my writing?

Go to CBC website and read comments on any immigration article and it will tell you what a lot of Canadians think about immigration policies.
Now, this is the most laughable statement for today. Do you really think that comments on CBC.ca represent Canadian public opinion?

Let me ask you this, if you get your PR, why is it so important to have citizenship right away?
If the new law is passed, I would have to wait 3 more years to apply, and then 3 more years to process applications (or maybe more at that time -> who knows?) So, at best, the process for me would be completed at 2020. Which makes it 11+ years. I believe it's unfair. Partially, because my case was delayed on a pre-PR stage for no reason. I'm not even sure, I'm going to live that long.

I mean, there are plenty of other reasons, but you asked personally about me.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
Well Regina all the examples you have mentioned are fair and as i said people who do not contribute towards growth of Canada should be excluded from the welfare. For your information "Lebanon" does not even come close to the top sources of international students or workers in Canada. Majority are either refugees or family class Canadians or their offsprings.
So , this is not a rasism?

Nice try guys. :D