+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Hi, i am on open work visa, my daughter on student visa. We were denied boarding the plane to meet our husband on w-1 closed visa who was there since January. We were to follow but got caught up in this quarantine. The airline contacted border patrol to ask if we can board but unfortunately they dont consider my trip as essential because 1. i dont have a job waiting for me since i am on open work permit. 2. my daughter's school won't start yet. So there you go, the family reunification seems BS because it doesn't make any sense if these restrictions undermine the family reunification program.
I’m sorry to hear that. I’m trying to get in contact with my MP and see if there’s anything he can do. We should at least have a clear guideline on what’s considered as essential.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
The reason why I called family reunification useless because there are CONDITIONS. You can only reunite IF YOU HAVE A JOB WAITING FOR YOU and if school starts next week. How is that family reunification if I cannot go based on employment? They mentioned on IRCC as an example "to live with your spouse" as essential, then why was I denied boarding.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
And to update I did contact the nearest embassy and said the same thing I cannot be given a letter since travel is NONESSENTIAL, i asked them to explain who is eligible for FAMILY REUNIFICATION THEN but no one can explain about this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And to update I did contact the nearest embassy and said the same thing I cannot be given a letter since travel is NONESSENTIAL, i asked them to explain who is eligible for FAMILY REUNIFICATION THEN but no one can explain about this.
Family reunification at the moment is limited to citizens and PRs.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Family reunification at the moment is limited to citizens and PRs.
i think its a case to case basis.

Reuniting with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily

To board your flight to Canada, you must have written authorization from the Government of Canada to fly to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i think its a case to case basis.

Reuniting with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily

To board your flight to Canada, you must have written authorization from the Government of Canada to fly to Canada.
Unfortunately you didn’t have a letter and the embassy doesn’t seem to want to give you one. Canada is trying to prevent people from travelling to Canada and potentially spreading covid but also adding additional people who are unemployed who aren’t citizens or PRs. Luckily it seems like you have some family members to stay with until the borders open.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reason why I called family reunification useless because there are CONDITIONS. You can only reunite IF YOU HAVE A JOB WAITING FOR YOU and if school starts next week. How is that family reunification if I cannot go based on employment? They mentioned on IRCC as an example "to live with your spouse" as essential, then why was I denied boarding.
That's nonsense.

Not everyone need a job waiting / school starts next week. Everyone's financial situation is different.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi, they do have family reunification for those living in Canada temporarily though it should be for an essential purpose.

Family Reunification (Foreign national traveling to join a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada)

A foreign national who is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is exempt from the travel restrictions and permitted to travel to Canada if they have the required travel documents. Please find information in the following link to assist you regarding if you are exempt from the travel restrictions: Travel Restriction Measures

If you are exempt from the travel restrictions, you may travel to Canada once commercial flights resume. Travellers are expected to self-identify to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting documentation to establish their family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status and their relationship to that family member. Please use the aforementioned link for a list of recommended documents to present to the airline.

Family Reunification (Foreign national traveling to join a temporary resident in Canada)

Foreign nationals who have an immediate family member already residing in Canada as a worker, visitor, student or protected person are exempt from the travel restrictions. An adult child of a person residing in Canada may be eligible under this exemption. This is because, while the child is not an immediate family member of the parent under the definition above, the parent is an immediate family member of the child. The objective of this exemption is to facilitate reuniting immediate family members who have been separated as a result of these travel restrictions.

If you are exempt from the travel restrictions, you will need authorization in writing from our office to be presented to the airline. Please note that our office is providing limited services at this time and so we will only be preparing these letters once commercial flights resume.

Reactions: jddd

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, they do have family reunification for those living in Canada temporarily though it should be for an essential purpose.

Family Reunification (Foreign national traveling to join a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada)

A foreign national who is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is exempt from the travel restrictions and permitted to travel to Canada if they have the required travel documents. Please find information in the following link to assist you regarding if you are exempt from the travel restrictions: Travel Restriction Measures

If you are exempt from the travel restrictions, you may travel to Canada once commercial flights resume. Travellers are expected to self-identify to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting documentation to establish their family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status and their relationship to that family member. Please use the aforementioned link for a list of recommended documents to present to the airline.

Family Reunification (Foreign national traveling to join a temporary resident in Canada)

Foreign nationals who have an immediate family member already residing in Canada as a worker, visitor, student or protected person are exempt from the travel restrictions. An adult child of a person residing in Canada may be eligible under this exemption. This is because, while the child is not an immediate family member of the parent under the definition above, the parent is an immediate family member of the child. The objective of this exemption is to facilitate reuniting immediate family members who have been separated as a result of these travel restrictions.

If you are exempt from the travel restrictions, you will need authorization in writing from our office to be presented to the airline. Please note that our office is providing limited services at this time and so we will only be preparing these letters once commercial flights resume.
Which country were you trying to fly from?

That last line could make things complicated...

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

I know it doesn't help your situation but it is nice to see that they have greatly expanded their definitions and explanation of the exemptions. The previous document the published before this one was pretty vague.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

I have not read this, thanks for the info. I will try to read the whole thing on the official site for more clarity.

Note: I deleted my post as it is clear I misunderstood something and do not want to confuse others who may read it

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Hello, we're lost too about the restrictions by now.. I have a closed work permit (to work in Montreal) and my wife a open work permit. We were moving by late march but we needed to abort it because the borders were closed.

Now, IRCC site says that we are allowed to move (as we already have the visas and presentation letters), but there are those cases of people being dening flying and/or entering Canada.

In our case, would we be allowed? I already quitted my job here (did it before the crisis) and the company that hired me in Montreal still needs me there (to work in home office, as they are all doing).

Any advice will be welcome.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Hello, we're lost too about the restrictions by now.. I have a closed work permit (to work in Montreal) and my wife a open work permit. We were moving by late march but we needed to abort it because the borders were closed.

Now, IRCC site says that we are allowed to move (as we already have the visas and presentation letters), but there are those cases of people being dening flying and/or entering Canada.

In our case, would we be allowed? I already quitted my job here (did it before the crisis) and the company that hired me in Montreal still needs me there (to work in home office, as they are all doing).

Any advice will be welcome.
You can speak to a CBSA officer directly. Contact information can be found here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
So if a canadian citizen is stuck outside the country, can we come back with our spouse? Do we need a letter from the government?