+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we complain about the delays in Online Citizenship Process?

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
I'm astonished by all the people saying "stop complaining because others have been waiting longer". We should ALL expect a good level of service, and currently NONE of us are. If the system was running well, then most cases would be processed within 2-3 months at the most, so whether you've been waiting 5 months or 24, the service is not performing well enough.

I have written to the Minister for IRCC to complain (no reply of course). At this point, Covid is a pathetic excuse. It's just paperwork, it can be done anywhere. The obvious solution to the issue of citizenship tests was to scrap the test, it's completely pointless. Instead, it took them 12 months to throw together a hokey, expensive online system which doesn't scale to the number of applications.

This is not government working well, and we should demand better. The problem is that we have no real recourse for complaints, and Canada's outdated First Past the Post electoral system makes it impossible to get a government which isn't filled with self-serving morons. None of our elected officials know anything about how to run a government department effectively, they're all just dummies who won a rigged popularity contest.

I would still recommend you complain to the minister at Minister@cic.gc.ca, because people should be telling him that he is failing at his job.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
I'm astonished by all the people saying "stop complaining because others have been waiting longer". We should ALL expect a good level of service, and currently NONE of us are. If the system was running well, then most cases would be processed within 2-3 months at the most, so whether you've been waiting 5 months or 24, the service is not performing well enough.

I have written to the Minister for IRCC to complain (no reply of course). At this point, Covid is a pathetic excuse. It's just paperwork, it can be done anywhere. The obvious solution to the issue of citizenship tests was to scrap the test, it's completely pointless. Instead, it took them 12 months to throw together a hokey, expensive online system which doesn't scale to the number of applications.

This is not government working well, and we should demand better. The problem is that we have no real recourse for complaints, and Canada's outdated First Past the Post electoral system makes it impossible to get a government which isn't filled with self-serving morons. None of our elected officials know anything about how to run a government department effectively, they're all just dummies who won a rigged popularity contest.

I would still recommend you complain to the minister at Minister@cic.gc.ca, because people should be telling him that he is failing at his job.
you know how many number of proxy servers would be protecting this Minister@cic.gc.ca address ? 100 % of email just go into spam or recycle bin. You really want some action file a petition to supreme court of canada and every applicant will sign here. If not then just wait like everyone . We are the ones who are in need not them. They dont give f about us. You can send 199999999 emails to the minister but all you will see is him enjoying the summer with his kids. We are f immigrants , second class people .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I'm astonished by all the people saying "stop complaining because others have been waiting longer".
Apart from NO ONE saying "stop complaining" in this topic . . . for any reason . . . this is not something I see being said generally, at least not in this forum, with perhaps some isolated to-be-expected sniping (this is an open source venue on the Internet, after all).

If you are complaining because one participant here said "chill," well, perhaps a likewise response is also in order.

Frank illumination of context (such as the observations offered by @rajkamalmohanram), which typically notes the need for patience, at least implicitly if not explicitly, is mostly practical, and often is intended to be reassuring. There have been overtures here, and some overtly hyperbolic claims, that applicants should fear "years" of waiting, if not "endless" waiting, and it warrants reminding qualified applicants, those who completely and accurately submitted a proper application, that while the process is slow, and can be much slower for some than others, and this past year more so, aggravated by the government's response to the pandemic, IRCC will be making its way through almost all applications, and the timeline is bound to be accelerating, at least a little, in the coming months. Still frustrating, that is understood. Still inciting more than a little complaining. Likewise understood. To be expected. Part of what this forum is about, apart from a place to share information, yeah, it is also a place to share some frustration, to vent a little.

Of course some of the rants grow old and tiresome. Especially the repetitive ones. Having long ago been issued an honorary membership in the Whiner's Club, I have been there, done that, albeit tending to be a bit more tempered now, in my old age. But there has been more than a little exaggerating what other applicants can expect, spilling well over the line into fear-mongering. And of course that demands some push-back. Again, while many qualified applicants will need more than a fair share of patience due to how slow it goes, they do not need to worry that the wait will be several years or endless.

In Terms of (Realistic) Expectations:

If the system was running well, then most cases would be processed within 2-3 months at the most, so whether you've been waiting 5 months or 24, the service is not performing well enough.
In an ideal world . . . none of us would be wrangling with these things. No one would be complaining about others complaining about others complaining.

In the real world, sorry, in the last decade and a half the very fastest CIC/IRCC has processed a slice (about 20%) of citizenship applications, was four to six months. Did not last long. Their more recent service standard, if applicable (which it currently is not), is to process 80% of routinely processed applications in 12 months. For now it is slower than that. You are not likely to see the timeline approaching that for awhile to come.

In the best of times the processing timeline was around 6 to 8 months for 20% of applications, about 8 to 10 months for 50% (until the Harper government dramatically trimmed publicizing data, a Citizenship Judge commission regularly reported how long it was taking to process 20%, 50%, and 80% of applications; the good old days). My sense is scores and scores of applicants and prospective applicants would be rather happy to see the median timeline (that is for 50% of applications) return to 8 to 10 months.

What justifies complaining? Depends. And can vary. Including depending on the venue. Some delays will warrant complaining in a formal judicial venue. Prudence suggests waiting longer before doing that than, say, voicing frustration in an open source on the Internet . . . after all, one could complain in a venue like this, for example, about anything longer than counter-service timelines. For what it's worth.

In any event, if someone says "chill" no reason to bristle. Talk about reasonable expectations, it is probably fair to expect that was said with friendly intent.

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
Have you considered moving to paper application?
I am in the same situation. Applied online in jan 2021 and havent received AOR yet. Considering to switch to paper but want to understand what is the process to switch.
i switched just call or webform them to whithdrew your online app thats it easy and simple

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
Apart from NO ONE saying "stop complaining" in this topic . . . for any reason . . . this is not something I see being said generally, at least not in this forum, with perhaps some isolated to-be-expected sniping (this is an open source venue on the Internet, after all).

If you are complaining because one participant here said "chill," well, perhaps a likewise response is also in order.

Frank illumination of context (such as the observations offered by @rajkamalmohanram), which typically notes the need for patience, at least implicitly if not explicitly, is mostly practical, and often is intended to be reassuring. There have been overtures here, and some overtly hyperbolic claims, that applicants should fear "years" of waiting, if not "endless" waiting, and it warrants reminding qualified applicants, those who completely and accurately submitted a proper application, that while the process is slow, and can be much slower for some than others, and this past year more so, aggravated by the government's response to the pandemic, IRCC will be making its way through almost all applications, and the timeline is bound to be accelerating, at least a little, in the coming months. Still frustrating, that is understood. Still inciting more than a little complaining. Likewise understood. To be expected. Part of what this forum is about, apart from a place to share information, yeah, it is also a place to share some frustration, to vent a little.

Of course some of the rants grow old and tiresome. Especially the repetitive ones. Having long ago been issued an honorary membership in the Whiner's Club, I have been there, done that, albeit tending to be a bit more tempered now, in my old age. But there has been more than a little exaggerating what other applicants can expect, spilling well over the line into fear-mongering. And of course that demands some push-back. Again, while many qualified applicants will need more than a fair share of patience due to how slow it goes, they do not need to worry that the wait will be several years or endless.

In Terms of (Realistic) Expectations:

In an ideal world . . . none of us would be wrangling with these things. No one would be complaining about others complaining about others complaining.

In the real world, sorry, in the last decade and a half the very fastest CIC/IRCC has processed a slice (about 20%) of citizenship applications, was four to six months. Did not last long. Their more recent service standard, if applicable (which it currently is not), is to process 80% of routinely processed applications in 12 months. For now it is slower than that. You are not likely to see the timeline approaching that for awhile to come.

In the best of times the processing timeline was around 6 to 8 months for 20% of applications, about 8 to 10 months for 50% (until the Harper government dramatically trimmed publicizing data, a Citizenship Judge commission regularly reported how long it was taking to process 20%, 50%, and 80% of applications; the good old days). My sense is scores and scores of applicants and prospective applicants would be rather happy to see the median timeline (that is for 50% of applications) return to 8 to 10 months.

What justifies complaining? Depends. And can vary. Including depending on the venue. Some delays will warrant complaining in a formal judicial venue. Prudence suggests waiting longer before doing that than, say, voicing frustration in an open source on the Internet . . . after all, one could complain in a venue like this, for example, about anything longer than counter-service timelines. For what it's worth.

In any event, if someone says "chill" no reason to bristle. Talk about reasonable expectations, it is probably fair to expect that was said with friendly intent.
I have a question for you.

q)Write an essay on level 2 IRCC officer. (100 marks )

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017

My approach with this citizenship app thing is just throw it into the pool and get on with your life. When they are ready, they would get back to you. The only exception is when you need the citizenship for a job and in that case you could ask for expedited processing. Just be patient and it will be over before you know it.

Reactions: uppperkut

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
My approach with this citizenship app thing is just throw it into the pool and get on with your life. When they are ready, they would get back to you. The only exception is when you need the citizenship for a job and in that case you could ask for expedited processing. Just be patient and it will be over before you know it.
I already tried that. I sent them all the details that i need Citizenship for job and they delayed it more. I guess the best option is to just let it go.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
The only exception is when you need the citizenship for a job and in that case you could ask for expedited processing. Just be patient and it will be over before you know it.
I do need the citizenship for a job.

I also want to vote in the upcoming election, and I don't think my democratic rights should be withheld from me simply because IRCC are incompetent.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
I do need the citizenship for a job.

I also want to vote in the upcoming election, and I don't think my democratic rights should be withheld from me simply because IRCC are incompetent.
Well here is what IRCC would say to you . Yes, we are incompetent so what are you going to do about it ?

• Haha
Reactions: MrChazz and Das67

Maryam2020

Dec 5, 2021
it might take up to 6 months to just get an AOR while paper application would be already getting next step
You need to check the excel file with all the processing dates. The total processing time of online application seems to be lower. The AOR is longer though but the total is shorter. Isn't that what you want?