+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I/Shouldn't I? Flagpoling, POE, sorry for yet another thread on this :)

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
Hi!

I've read some threads last night about it all, the documents required etc, I just felt like adding a few more questions.

I am initially from France, which I think is a visa-exempt country, right?

Anyway. Question is, I have a current online application for a WP extension (submitted on Sept 3rd), a LMO request sent by my manager on Sept 17th and my current work permit expiring November 15th.

Now I am all worked up about the super tight timing here. So let's just go for the best-case-scenario that the LMO comes back positive, even better-case-scenario: BEFORE the end of my work permit.... Since I don't want to wait till the online application gets processed and not have to take a leave of absence from my current permanent position, am I eligible to just get my new permit at a POE?
(((YVR seems to apply for it, can I really just show up there and be directed to the Immigration Office without having gone through customs and landed from another country?)))

If I receive a positive LMO AFTER the expiration date of my work permit with my online application still in the way, do I need to secure my status further more and double-apply for restoration of status or the WP application is enough? Can I pull the "flagpoling" too whenever we receive the LMO?

PS: we applied and sent the LMO request to the Vancouver office since it's a retail/customer service job and go in the "lower skilled positions". So I am wondering if the processing time is just as long as the actual WP application. Online or not...

Thx for any input on this.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
In order to access the immigration services of a Port of Entry, you have to leave then re-enter Canada. You can't simply go from Vancouver to YVR airport and apply there. So the cheapest method is to cross the US/Canadian border by land and return.

sandylew

Jul 21, 2012
I assume you are not changing employer.
Best-case-scenario: you get the new LMO before the end of your work permit. You can continue the new WP application online before the old one expired. Then, you should be fine. Maybe you have concern whether you can work legally without a valid WP. The answer is you can continue to work for the same employer legally under implied status.