+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Oh My God, didnt know scores of immigrants have decided to move back because of 2 posts of mine in an obscure thread.
But didnt move forward because of motivating posts of Hamgha's.

Losers like you should stay away from these threads, who dont add any value to the discussion nor present any facts or figures.
Keep your generic "tremendous opportunities" to yourself and continue to be a keyboard warrior.

Btw there are lot of vacancies for life coaches. Go and preach there.
I was actually trying to help you. Did you ever consider the reason that you are struggling in Canada has more to do with your horrible attitude than anything else? If you swallowed your endless pride, took the chip off your shoulder and tried to learn from others, perhaps you would be in a better place.

But, it makes no difference to me. Continue to spend your life spreading negativity and stewing in your own jealousy...I'll happily move on with mine.

• Wow
Reactions: Svet81

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
My 2c, ignore the troll-ish comments on this forum. I have seen these views on many other threads and it is not evident that they are open to influencing either way.

I think someone was spot on when they said temper your expectations and make an informed decision

Reactions: despacito2017

RajKumarArora

Dec 28, 2019
I'll tell you about my knowledge since you insist. My salary now (after a year) is still less than 60 k and so is my spouse's. (we're in vancouver, so that's not much) We're both not working in our fields and we were both unemployed for four months after we landed. We then took basic office admin jobs as well as working as temps to fill the time and get extra money. We bought used furniture off of facebook marketplace and craigslist. The first month we only had the bed in our apartment and for the first few months only had one phone plan for both. We only got our second phone+Data plan two months ago. We didn't spend out entire money on electronics and clothes and really stuck to the basics. We still carefully budget every cent and only spend money that we have. We don't have a fully furnished house or even a TV but we don't care because those aren't our priorities.
Also and more importantly, a lot of Canadians themselves are working two jobs and living in basements, still sharing apartments with roommates. This is not just an immigrant thing, this is a global thing.
True and I agree with your views completely.

Reactions: hamgha

sairam6304

Mar 7, 2021
Although many immigrants might had this thought after spending time in Canada is it worth it especially for Indians after investing Ton of energy and money . I would like to say honestly that it’s not worth it .

IRCC :

IRCC is a joke they would even give a person with Down syndrome a visa to spend money in Canada , They do so to fuel ⛽ the rising costs of aging population and pensions for seniors. So our savings are literally spent on domestic students and Aging population .

Education:

Most colleges are private but publicly funded which is biggest honey trap . Let me share my experience I went to a job fair at my college and I was shocked to see warehouse companies interviewing graduates .Quality of Canadian Education is to bad in private colleges but they have good practical labs . University Students Spend 1,00,000$ a year on tution fees .

Jobs :

Canada has only few big cities like Toronto , Montreal , Vancouver where most immigrants live and work and this cities definitely have strong competition for good paying jobs and you need to do more certificates and internships to compete .Govt jobs are usually for white ppl since you lack References and contacts probably.

Cost of living:

If you’re not a fan of cooking , you would easily spent 15 $ every night before going bed . Groceries are damn expensive unless you buy at Costco . Room Rents atleast cost you a weeks pay if you live in downtown.
Transit :
Public transit is very expensive 3.25$ a ride with a minimum wage of $ 14 .

health care:

Hospitals here are a shit show , once I went to a hospital in Scarbrough carrying a friend with kidney issues and had to wait there for 6 hours to see a nurse ‍⚕ and get appointment. Ppl usually wait months to get appointments .
Although health care is not available for everyone it’s for Pr and citizenship holders and doesn’t cover dental and eye care.

Policing :

They cost tax payers millions of dollars every year to arrive late to the scene and they possible do nothing if the accused is white again and depends who you are and what skin tone you have if you don’t believe me make a 911 call and experience their treatment.

Provinical and Federal governments :

Politics here in Canada are fun to watch no one ☝ knows what’s going on complete circus in regards to lock down ). Poltical party’s doesn’t have any impact on people’s life in fact they don’t even talk about politics publicly there is a provincial and federal tax on everything you pay at a tax rate of 13% in Ontario.

Public and private sector:

Canada is literally a capitalist country you don’t see much public sector. Bell , Rogers , Telus run mobile , tv , internet with damn postpaid rates . Banks are completely private and Charge you differently based on the plan where there is a limit on transactions like you can’t even make transfers directly from your bank account you need a third party called interac. Don’t even think of saving money cause you can’t even buy a coffee ☕ with those returns.Every few small business that run in Canada with no street food .

Racism :

The cool part about Canadians is they are not in you’re face if you live in a big city like Toronto where a majority are immigrants but if you’re in a White majority suburbs, They definitely treat you different if you’re at a bar or a club I’m not complaining but explaining to brown ppl like me they don’t let renting spaces to brown or ppl of colour lot of restrictions on what you cook and how late you cook ‍.
Real Estate :
Banks won’t approve you for a mortgage of 2000$ a month but you will end up paying the same in rent . That’s how this system runs .

Cultural Shocks :
They stand on right side of escalator, hold doors for person behind you and every white dude wears a Maple leaf or blue jays cap .Even though it’s a British colony they drive cars on left , Currency is lit made of pvc.

Slangs :

Loonie : A dollar coin
Toonie : A 2 dollar coin
Dime , Nickel, Quarter 5 cents , 10 and 25.
Buddy : A young man
Ey is another slang while talking to someone.

To Sum it up , Canada is not a place for you to start from scratch and go through all the depression and loneliness of leaving in a foreign country with no job satisfaction unless you’re lucky to find a job that gives you genuine pleasure and sense of satisfaction. My true advice for anyone would be to visit Canada and live with students or workers for 4-5 months and then to decide to take this huge step in your life .

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although many immigrants might had this thought after spending time in Canada is it worth it especially for Indians after investing Ton of energy and money . I would like to say honestly that it’s not worth it .

IRCC :

IRCC is a joke they would even give a person with Down syndrome a visa to spend money in Canada , They do so to fuel ⛽ the rising costs of aging population and pensions for seniors. So our savings are literally spent on domestic students and Aging population .

Education:

Most colleges are private but publicly funded which is biggest honey trap . Let me share my experience I went to a job affair at my college and I was shocked to see warehouse companies interviewing graduates .Quality of Canadian Education is to bad in private colleges but they have good practical labs . University Students Spend 1,00,000$ a year on tution fees .

Jobs :

Canada has only few big cities like Toronto , Montreal , Vancouver where most immigrants live and work and this cities definitely have strong competition for good paying jobs and you need to do more certificates and internships to compete .Govt jobs are usually for white ppl since you lack References and contacts probably.

Cost of living:

If you’re not a fan of cooking , you would easily spent 15 $ every night before going bed . Groceries are damn expensive unless you buy at Costco . Room Rents atleast cost you a weeks pay if you live in downtown.
Transit :

health care:

Hospitals here are a shit show , once I went to a hospital in Scarbrough carrying a friend with kidney issues and had to wait there for 6 hours to see a nurse ‍⚕ and get appointment. Ppl usually wait months to get appointments .
Although health care is not available for everyone it’s for Pr and citizenship holders and doesn’t cover dental and eye care.

Policing :

They cost tax payers millions of dollars every year to arrive late to the scene and they possible do nothing if the accused is white again and depends who you are and what skin tone you have if you don’t believe me make a 911 call and experience their treatment.

Politics here in Canada are fun to watch no one ☝ knows what’s going on complete circus in regards to lock down ). Poltical party’s doesn’t have any impact on people’s life in fact they don’t even talk about politics publicly there is a provincial and federal tax on everything you pay at a tax rate of 13% in Ontario.

Canada is literally a capitalist country you don’t see much public sector. Bell , Rogers , Telus run mobile , tv , internet with damn postpaid rates . Banks are completely private and Charge you differently based on the plan where there is a limit on transactions like you can’t even make transfers directly from your bank account you need a third party called interac. Don’t even think of saving money cause you can’t even buy a coffee ☕ with those returns.Every few small business that run in Canada with no street food .

Racism :

The cool part about Canadians is they are not in you’re face if you live in a big city like Toronto where a majority are immigrants but if you’re in a White majority suburbs, They definitely treat you different if you’re at a bar or a club I’m not complaining but explaining to brown ppl like me they don’t let renting spaces to brown or ppl of colour lot of restrictions on what you cook and how late you cook ‍.
Real Estate :
Banks won’t approve you for a mortgage of 2000$ a month but you will end up paying the same in rent . That’s how this system runs .

Cultural Shocks :
They stand on right side of escalator, hold doors for person behind you and every white dude wears a Maple leaf or blue jays cap .Even though it’s a British colony they drive cars on left , Currency is lit made of pvc.

Slangs :

To Sum it up , Canada is not a place for you to start from scratch and go through all the depression and loneliness of leaving in a foreign country with no job satisfaction unless you’re lucky to find a job that gives you genuine pleasure and sense of satisfaction. My true advice for anyone would be to visit Canada and live with students or workers for 4-5 months and then to decide to take this huge step in your life .
There are no provincial tax in Alberta. When you look at the vaccine rollout, the provincial and federal governments have impacts on how they are distributed and which vaccine is suspended for a certain age group. Don't you see that the number of people who are infected lately is on the rise?

About street food, do you not see any food trucks?

Reactions: sairam6304

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I know I should not do it... I should not do it BUT HECK I cann't let it pass. I should set the record straight because something right needs to be said. I love India to death but I cann't let this kind of mud slinging to my host country ie Canada pass. Here are facts.

PS : My experience : I am a guy working in Canadian IT sector and I came from India. In India I was more than settled and I moved to Canada at least temporarily (on an assignment by my employer). I have lived in BC only and in big cities only. I have been living in Canada for 3.5 years now. My wife is now doing her masters in Canada. My child is born in Canada. I do plan to apply for PR, my hesitation till date is simply because I love India to death even though I know living in India kills me, slowly atleast.

Worth and NOT worth are things that is very personal. I won't disagree with you in your personal opinion. I will disagree on the causes that you mention however.

IRCC :

IRCC is a joke ......
Wrong! IRCC is NOT joke! It has a lot of issues, I agree. But it does its job decently. My own experience during Pandemic has taught me to respect these folks.

1. IRCC accommodated people in pandemic who lost their status due to things beyond their control. This is HUMANE BY any standards. You want to know what a real dead beaucracy and a joke looks like? Look at our own India deporting a 14 year old girl refugee BACK to Mayanmar! In damn middle of covid! In damn middle of a military coup! Her parents are refugees in Bangaldesh but we cannt send her there because some god damn Indian Beaurocrat won't be happy till that little girl is butchered.

2. My wife had to apply for a work permit extension and a study permit. She did not have to step outside the home. Period! IRCC waived Biometric requirement for her. In India, they are asking my father to visit a police station for PCC just so that they can get hush money from him. India introduced a much harder requirement for PCC in the middle of a god damned pandemic!

Education:

Most colleges are private but publicly funded which is biggest honey trap . ... warehouse companies interviewing graduates .Quality of Canadian Education is to bad in private colleges but they have good practical labs . University Students Spend 1,00,000$ a year on tution fees .
First thing first. Yes, warehouse companies DO interview graduates in India. One of my friend is working in Blue-dart ... as a transportation optimization guy. He has an MBA from XLRI.

Coursework in Canada gets updated. Frequently. It is possible that as an undergrad you will learn something that is bleeding edge in that field. My wife just started on her masters degree and she is already doing literature survey for a coating to prevent corrosions in shipping containers. Her professor's research work is funded by a major shipping company.

And NO university students do not spend 100K per year. My wife will spend CDN 18K in tuitions for her ENTIRE masters of 1.5 years. For stay, we can get a pretty decent townhouse in university campus if we choose to at a very decent rent.

Jobs :

There is indeed competition for well paying jobs. There is NO doubt about it. Getting "okayish" paying job to survive is ridiculously easy too (or it was till very recently before pandemic). My wife got a job in a major telecom firm first as a sales rep pretty easily then when pandemic started they laid off her BUT soon they accommodated her in customer support, working from home. I also found that getting her a Canadian masters will be better as it will put her on par with rest of folks. Job, like anything else in Canada, require you to follow a certain path. Its harder if you dont do it.

Cost of living:

Transit :
Yes, if you don't cook, it gets pretty expensive, pretty fast. Services are expensive in Canada. And that includes food.

I don't know how you travel but I used to get those compass card in Vancouver.

health care:

Well, hospitals in India are a bigger shit show. Many of us don't notice because we pay our way out of it. Go to AIIMS and see it sometimes. That said, triage system in many Canadian hospitals works decently.

Example :
When my wife was preggo she once blacked out and was having some kind of "fit". I helped her to bed and called 811 who after few questions asked us to call 911. We did call them and within 10 minutes we had a team of folks in our apartment taking her blood pressure, checking her sugar, fixing and taking a on spot ECG. They took us to hospital immediately and we got immediate attention because her and life of her baby was on the line. They wanted to rule out ectopic pregnancy. Once they ruled out immediate danger (that was done in less than 45 minutes of me calling 911), they lowered our priority.

Policing :

I disagree. We have few times felt need and called 911. Police always showed up at the place of incidence. They always follow up. What I loved? They listen. I was never asked for hush money. I never found a police officer drunk on duty.

Politics here in Canada are fun to watch no one ☝......
You want fun? Look south. Better look back in India.

Canada is literally a capitalist country you don’t see much public sector. Bell , Rog... with no street food .
Well, few things. Yes, interests in Canadian saving accounts is a joke. If you want higher rates, you have to go to tangerine etc. That said, Inflation in Canada is not as bad as that in India. Especially on fuel.

BTW, you can save money and grow it. It takes a different ways though.

Racism :

I live in a completely "white" neighbourhood in a very "white" city. I have faced issues to be honest. We had to leave a townhouse because of complaints in strata that our son makes way more noise.

So, I also did what most "white" people do. I moved in a detached home in a slightly less desirable neighbourhood (not insecure or undesirable etc but less touristy, less views etc). We are paying similar rents but my son can make noise to his hearts content. I checked, children noise a problem faced by "whites" as well. Solutions are varied but moving to a smaller detached house is one way around it.

Its not as much of a race issue but that of cultural shock.

I will say that if you are a kind of person else who values things to happen in fashion how they are supposed to happen, Canada is a heaven. Things do happen by laws, regulations etc and not by whims. Being an insider is helpful but being an outsider does not stop you from doing what you want. Also, becoming an insider in Canada is easier. Try doing that in india. I could not become an insider in Karnataka or AP.

For me personally, I love India for it is my home. Canada made me love it by making me at home.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

IRCC :

Education:

Most colleges are private but publicly funded which is biggest honey trap . Let me share my experience I went to a job fair at my college and I was shocked to see warehouse companies interviewing graduates .Quality of Canadian Education is to bad in private colleges but they have good practical labs . University Students Spend 1,00,000$ a year on tution fees .

Jobs :

Cost of living:

Transit :

health care:

Policing :

Racism :

Real Estate :

Cultural Shocks :

Slangs :

You can't compare the cost of living in India to Canada. Compare Canada to Europe, US, Australia, etc. You are also comparing someone from a privileged background in India versus a low income worker in Canada. Yes food is cheaper but that is because labour costs are nothing in India. Have you not seen farmers committing suicide because of huge debts in India? Taxes exist so that people can go to the hospital and receive treatment without worrying about cost, educate their children until college/university without needing to pay, receive monetary support to raise their children, etc. When going to an ER you are triaged. Whether you are poor or wealthy the most unwell person will be treated first. Your friend likely had something like a kidney stonne which may be painful but in no way urgent. During covid no hospital ran out of oxygen and although we initially were not prepared with enough surplus PPE many India hospitals have not had proper PPE throughout the whole year. The health system is far from perfect but you won't go bankrupt if you get sick and you won't get turned away or receive substandard care if you don't have money.

Have you worked at the government? There is a very diverse workforce. The government is not limited to caucasian people. Politics is one area where there may be less diversity but is is changing and will only get more diverse. When it comes to getting a job it is important to study the right type of program and at a good school. Private colleges are definitely not recommended. A public university or college are your best options but you have to study the right subject to get the better paying jobs. This is no different from any other country.

People need to have realistic expectations of Canada. People see free schooling for children, child benefit, free healthcare (actually partial medicare) and seem to think they will have extra money because they don't have these fees and not realize that we pay high taxes instead of paying individual fees. Coming to Canada doesn't mean you will be wealthy, that you won't have to work hard, etc. It means you will likely leave a relatively comfortable life in a relatively safe country. Everyone needs to examine why they want to move to Canada and make a budget. For example I always say that both parents work in Canada because they have to to afford a certain lifestyle. If a family wants one parent to be the sole breadwinner then Canada may not be a good option.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
I can give a more generic answer to this question of worth based on geopolitics.

The world is moving towards de-globalization due to Covid, nationalism, etc. The US is retreating from the world and supply chains are going to become more regional rather than global.

In this kind of world, having privileged access (via NAFTA) to the US market is invaluable. Only a handful of countries are going to have this. Out of these countries, only 1 shares a time zone and language with the US - Canada.

Why is this important? Because due to Covid, remote work has become a real thing, especially in tech. In my field, recruiters would laugh at me if I asked for base salary of 120k CAD. I remember one recruiter telling me in 2017 that 120k is a 'director level salary'. Since Dec 2020, I receive 2-3 recruiter emails a week offering 160-220k CAD base salary. They are all US based, looking for remote workers in Canada.

Salaries are going to equalize in North America. No need to go through the illogical and cruel US immigration process. Stay in Canada, get US salaries, US jobs and contribute to Canadian tax base (for which you get many more benefits than in US).

Don't like the winter? Well, if you have remote jobs (and its increasingly easy to find one), just work from Mexico/Caribbean for the winter. They offer easy to get digital nomad visas. Ontario has announced that e-learning in schools is here to stay. You could even take the kids with you!

Housing too expensive? With a remote job, you don't have to stay in Toronto/Vancouver. You can stay in a nice beach cottage somewhere along a lake. Elon Musk's starlink internet will ensure that you can have a solid internet connection anywhere in Canada.

You might ask - why cant these jobs be done remotely from India? A major factor is the time zone difference. Also, data protection laws are becoming stricter, and companies that might be ok with private data of their customers going to Canada, may not be equally comfortable with that data going to India, where the judicial system is a disaster.

Also, I believe the Canadian economy will be solid over the next decade. We are going into a commodities super cycle and Canada exports a lot of those. The loonie is already quite strong compared to the USD and might even reach parity in the next few years.

Of course, money is not everything. You also need to be open minded and be ready to learn a new culture. I grew up in a liberal household in an Indian metro city with a western upbringing. I felt more out of place in India growing up than I ever did in Canada. If you are socially conservative, then Canada is not for you. You will constantly find faults with it, constantly worry about your kids getting 'westernized' and they will resent you if you try to force Eastern culture on them.

Harshalan

Apr 4, 2021
it all depends on how you want to live?
Let give you my example... I was working in Reliance at executive position, well settled , good position, good family life and excellent money in India, I had all. When I left people were asking me what am I missing? why I am leaving? Even though I left at age of 38 years.

But today I am not regretting! I have acquired more than what I was having there. Reliance experience was very valuable here and everyone knows that company here. even after 10 years working in Canada, I was hired in one very good company in USA based on experience in Reliance but after joining new company and working they see how you are performing. If you are able to perform better than everyone will value your past experience but suppose you don't have good experience and if don't perform or able to adjust in the new environment same people will think your past company and you experience was not enough.

In short you have to decide what you would like to do in future? what type of life you would like to have? you can earn money anywhere.
In my case I can not work in some environment but the working environment and growth I got here may not have got in in India, may be I had became vice president (my colleague who were in same position as me are in fact now vice president in Reliance) but I would not have had job satisfaction over there which I am getting here.

so think what you want to do and decide. don't worry about job, you will get it if you have determination, it takes minimum 2 years to get in to good job some times but I got just in 2 months and never got layoff!

think about life of your children and struggle that they might have to do to grow and study and establish vs you may loose your culture little bit. some thing you may gain and something you may loose.
good luck!!!
Hi Sir/Madam,
I am very excited to read your inspiring story. I am working in Hindustan Petroleum and aspiring to move to Canada with my spouse and 2 year old daughter. It gives me a lot of motivation to see people overcome challenges to only succeed in life. Thank you for sharing your story. If we happen to be in touch, i wish to update my journey in this process. :) Thank you.

- Harshala

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Sir/Madam,
I am very excited to read your inspiring story. I am working in Hindustan Petroleum and aspiring to move to Canada with my spouse and 2 year old daughter. It gives me a lot of motivation to see people overcome challenges to only succeed in life. Thank you for sharing your story. If we happen to be in touch, i wish to update my journey in this process. :) Thank you.

- Harshala
If you work in oil and gas I would really think twice before moving to Canada if you want to work in thesame industry.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

IRCC :

Education:

Jobs :

Cost of living:

Transit :

health care:

Policing :

Racism :

Real Estate :

Cultural Shocks :

Slangs :

Have you booked your flight back to India yet? Canada is not a prison..you are free to leave. I urge you..sick and tired of whingers and no hopers like you. Just go..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Sir/Madam,

- Harshala
He posted in 2016 and hasn’t again. Much has changed in 5 years.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hi Sir/Madam,

- Harshala
No need for Sir or Madam.

Harshalan

Apr 4, 2021
If you work in oil and gas I would really think twice before moving to Canada if you want to work in thesame industry.
I wish to pursue MBA there in future. But to start with, may be I will have to work in oil refinery as I have 6 years experiance in that field. Can you throw some light on that please. Why would you that it is not a good idea?
Thank you.