+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should i select my marital status as single or Common Law?

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

I created my EE profile and was debating whether I should put my marital status as Single or Common Law. My BF is Canadian and is not included in my PR application. Is is complicated applying as Common law?

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Anyone??. Would it affect if i have no family members in Canada when filling up profile information? My concern is that if i apply as Single and would select no family members in ontario, however, if i use common law, i can use my bf as a family member in Ontario and show proof of relationship

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Re: Should i select my marital status as single or Common Law?.....Asivad Anac??

Asivad Anac??. Please advise

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you in fact "common law" with your boyfriend, or not?

CIC defines common law as:

Common law partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year. The term refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

If this applies to you, then yes, you should and indeed must apply as common law. If it doesn't, you are single.

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Yes, I am in common law relationship. We live together, does our taxes together and have joint bank account. was just thinking that since there isn't any points claiming it might to simpler to apply as Single.

I was just concern about the question having any family members that are permanent residence in canada

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Express123 said:
Yes, I am in common law relationship. We live together, does our taxes together and have joint bank account. was just thinking that since there isn't any points claiming it might to simpler to apply as Single.

I was just concern about the question having any family members that are permanent residence in canada
Common law. Otherwise, you are misrepresenting. Claiming points is secondary and it is your choice whether you want family points or not. However, you should truthfully answer about your marital/relationship status. If CIC finds out later, you will not be eligible for PR or if you get by chance, your PR can be revoked.

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
rajmalhotra7 said:
Common law. Otherwise, you are misrepresenting. Claiming points is secondary and it is your choice whether you want family points or not. However, you should truthfully answer about your marital/relationship status. If CIC finds out later, you will not be eligible for PR or if you get get by chance, your PR can be revoked.

Thanks for the advise. will leave marital status as common law...:)

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Express123 said:
Thanks for the advise. will leave marital status as common law...:)
As Rajmhotra7 said, this is your only choice/option.

Good luck :)

(You do know that you could apply for PR via spousal sponsorship as well, right?)

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Yes, I know i can do spousal sponsorship, if i don't get through with express entry, spousal sponsorship is my next step. I'm trying express entry first because its a shorter time span than spousal sponsorship.

Thanks for all the advice.....really appreciate it

nat29

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
Express123 said:
Hello everyone,

I created my EE profile and was debating whether I should put my marital status as Single or Common Law. My BF is Canadian and is not included in my PR application. Is is complicated applying as Common law?
I can tell you from the experience of my co-workers (Ukrainians) who applied for PR as common-laws and got their PRs at the end. The decision on their application was delayed by 3 months, but I cannot say for sure what the problem was. On the other hand, I was inquiring once about applying as single or common-law for my friend and I was told that the Single application will get a decision made much quicker than the one with Common-Law. Now, I don't know for sure, but I can tell you one thing, the person who I talked to was very experienced, dealing with hundreds of PR applications each year. Now, I guess it is up to you how you want to run it. Good luck with your application!

Express123

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
nat29 said:
I can tell you from the experience of my co-workers (Ukrainians) who applied for PR as common-laws and got their PRs at the end. The decision on their application was delayed by 3 months, but I cannot say for sure what the problem was. On the other hand, I was inquiring once about applying as single or common-law for my friend and I was told that the Single application will get a decision made much quicker than the one with Common-Law. Now, I don't know for sure, but I can tell you one thing, the person who I talked to was very experienced, dealing with hundreds of PR applications each year. Now, I guess it is up to you how you want to run it. Good luck with your application!
I waas debating whether to apply as single or common because my parther is canadian and is a non accompanying conjugal partner in my application

Confused much!

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Express123 said:
I waas debating whether to apply as single or common because my parther is canadian and is a non accompanying conjugal partner in my application

Confused much!
It is a confusing area of law. I looked everywhere and could not find whether you are OBLIGATED to report your common-law status, given that your boyfriend is Canadian and you will of course not be making an application for him to join you once you have PR. Under Canadian tax law, it is true that you MUST report a common-law relationship, there is no choice. Under other areas of law, including the registering of or dissolving of a common-law relationship, you have a choice. Immigration law seems to be silent on the subject, as the assumption is that you will WANT to claim it, and all the information involves how to prove such a relationship to CIC's satisfaction.

Absent a showing of actual law on the subject, in your shoes, I would apply as single. I do not see any misrepresentation there, as you are not trying to slip your boyfriend in under the wire! He is already in. If you were married, I would say you must report that, but in your circumstances, I doubt it.

If anyone can respond with the actual law on this subject, it would be helpful!

The argument for applying as single is that CRS points for people with spouses are lower than for singles, with points specifically for spouses adding to the total. But your boyfriend cannot contribute to your score, as he is Canadian. Your score will be lower if you apply as common-law.

The argument for applying as someone with a spouse is that if you were married to a Canadian you would have to list him. And it is the more comfortable, safer thing to do. If you choose this option, list him as non-accompanying, and then upload his Canadian birth certificate in place of his medical exam and police reports, which he does not need to get but which your application will ask for.

Good luck!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Express123 said:
Yes, I know i can do spousal sponsorship, if i don't get through with express entry, spousal sponsorship is my next step. I'm trying express entry first because its a shorter time span than spousal sponsorship.

Thanks for all the advice.....really appreciate it
If you wish to keep your option for spousal sponsorship open in the event EE doesn't work, you will
Have to state your common law status in this application, otherwise it will create problems later when trying to prove the length of your relationship.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dobes said:
If anyone can respond with the actual law on this subject, it would be helpful!
http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/sc-2001-c-27/latest/sc-2001-c-27.html

Article 40, et Al.