Should i move to Canada?

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rs85 said:
Not necessarily i jst wanna leave my dream...ie living abroad
My dad came to Canada as an immigrant over 30 years ago to escape communism in eastern Europe, so I grew up here as a result, and I will be forever grateful to him for coming here. I greatly appreciate what Canada is and what it offers, especially when compared to MANY other countries in the world. Is it perfect? No, of course not - but what country is? And when I think of my life here, and compare it to the lives of my relatives who are still back home, I would have to be completely out of my mind on an epic scale to say that Canada isn't a far, far better place to be.

Having said that, you need to be able to fend for yourself. The people who come here and immediately jump into the welfare line are the ones that Canada never should've allowed to enter the country in the first place. But if you have goals and are willing to do something with your life, there aren't many places in the world that offer you the opportunities that Canada offers.

Right now, the economy isn't doing that great, but that's the same pretty much everywhere in the world, just as it has been since 2008. So for that reason, you need to have a specific skill which is in demand, and you should be fine. Work hard, be respectful, don't get involved with the wrong people, and you'll have no problems succeeding.

I read in previous posts that are about a year old now (in this thread) that there are doctors and engineers driving taxis. Well boohoo for them. If they were intelligent enough to become doctors and engineers in their home countries, nothing prevents them from being doctors and engineers in Canada too. The ones who are driving taxis are doing so because:

a) they were morons who weren't qualified to practice medicine on a goat, let alone a human being
b) they didn't have strong enough English skills to pass their equivalency exams here

Hell, 75% of all the doctors I've ever been to in my life have been immigrants, so don't tell me doctors are forced into driving taxis in Canada because that's a load of crap. Same thing with the engineers - if they were REAL engineers in their home countries, they would be real engineers in Canada as well. The laws of physics are the same everywhere on the planet, and so is human anatomy.

If you were stupid in your home country, you'll be stupid in Canada as well. But if you're intelligent and are driven to make something of yourself, Canada is definitely in the top three or four countries in the world in which to make that happen.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I am told, many of the foreign doctors have a problem even getting the chance to take the exams because there aren't enough being held for all who want to sit them.

However, licensing is also something that people should research BEFORE they immigrate. If a person knows that they will have a hard time getting licensed in Canada and choose to immigrate anyway, that is fine but then they can't really complain if they have to change their career.

A smart and resourceful person will be able to change their career and build a new life for themselves. A person who will sit back and wait for things to fall into their lap will not get very far.

Some immigrants seem to think that because they have managed to get an education at some point in some country, everybody should kiss their feet but that is not really how things work.

When you move to another country, you have to expect that you may have to start a peg lower. You are dealing with a different atmosphere. Things work differently. Most likely you are dealing with a new language too. You can not really expect to walk right into a job at the same level you did back home unless you have pretty special skills. Otherwise, you will just have to start lower or start again in a new field and climb upwards again.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Rs85 said:
Not necessarily i jst wanna leave my dream...ie living abroad
Rs85,

I say, just go for it. I'm originally from Singapore, which is by no means bad in security, job prospects or economy.. It is however a small country.. And I got bored having lived there, dying of some change. One of the stories I frequently heard was this.

Long time ago, there were two frogs that fell into a very deep well. One was deaf, but had perfect eyesight. Another one could both hear and see. Both tried for days and days to jump out of the well.. And their friends were yelling to them.. Forget it, it's too high, you won't be able to get out. Just give up. The frog that could both see and hear, was very discouraged on hearing that, he quit after a while. The other frog that was deaf, just kept jumping and jumping. One day, he finally got out! When his friends outside asked him why he kept jumping afterwards, he said to them, "i thought you guys were encouraging me by waving your hands at me." He could now go wherever he wanted to see and experience the world and smell the flowers and greenery, unlike the other frog that quit and stayed forever in the deep dark well.

I've always likened Singapore to the well ( not meaning it in a bad way), but if you want to see and experience the world, you need to leave it. Get out of your comfort zone, it will be hard at first, but you will adapt to it eventually. I came here alone by myself (no friends or relatives), cried a lot at first.. But you know, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I've been out of Singapore since 2007 (first in San Francisco, then Vancouver). I've learned many times more in this 5 years plus than all my 30 over years in Singapore.. And I've no regrets.

spartacus2

Jul 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Not yet
IELTS Request
great thread

aristrauch

Dec 5, 2012
I would say go for it. While there is never a guarantee of happiness, Canada certainly presents plenty of evidence to suggest that you will live a very high quality of life. A survey showed that the vast majority of immigrants have been happy.

Good luck.

Ari

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

@ Shells - i totally see myself in what you told, that's what i exactly want. I need new challenges to keep growing. I might cry like high initially but in the end it should be alright.

I have applied for PR, and am planning to move to Ca next year, this is thrilling.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Rs85 said:
Hi everyone,

@ Shells - i totally see myself in what you told, that's what i exactly want. I need new challenges to keep growing. I might cry like high initially but in the end it should be alright.

I have applied for PR, and am planning to move to Ca next year, this is thrilling.
I moved to North America when I was 31. You are only 25 years old, and a young man at that (it's usually harder for women). If I can do it, so can you. Just make sure to choose your friends carefully, don't fall into the wrong company (and don't ever try drugs, not even if it's just for curiosity's sake). Once you learn those bad habits, no one can save you except yourself.

I'm curious.. have you been to Canada before, vacation or even a couple of months? If not, I would be surprised if you applied for PR even without staying here for a short period before.

meoh2595

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shells said:
Rs85,

I say, just go for it. I'm originally from Singapore, which is by no means bad in security, job prospects or economy.. It is however a small country.. And I got bored having lived there, dying of some change. One of the stories I frequently heard was this.

Long time ago, there were two frogs that fell into a very deep well. One was deaf, but had perfect eyesight. Another one could both hear and see. Both tried for days and days to jump out of the well.. And their friends were yelling to them.. Forget it, it's too high, you won't be able to get out. Just give up. The frog that could both see and hear, was very discouraged on hearing that, he quit after a while. The other frog that was deaf, just kept jumping and jumping. One day, he finally got out! When his friends outside asked him why he kept jumping afterwards, he said to them, "i thought you guys were encouraging me by waving your hands at me." He could now go wherever he wanted to see and experience the world and smell the flowers and greenery, unlike the other frog that quit and stayed forever in the deep dark well.

I've always likened Singapore to the well ( not meaning it in a bad way), but if you want to see and experience the world, you need to leave it. Get out of your comfort zone, it will be hard at first, but you will adapt to it eventually. I came here alone by myself (no friends or relatives), cried a lot at first.. But you know, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I've been out of Singapore since 2007 (first in San Francisco, then Vancouver). I've learned many times more in this 5 years plus than all my 30 over years in Singapore.. And I've no regrets.
this is very encouraging and inspiring... looking forward to my new life adventure in Canada. Thanks for sharing...

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
meoh2595 said:
this is very encouraging and inspiring... looking forward to my new life adventure in Canada. Thanks for sharing...
You are welcome :) Where are you going in Canada? Good luck!

meoh2595

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shells said:
You are welcome :) Where are you going in Canada? Good luck!
Yes, I am under family sponsorship visa. Thanks!