Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Good post Toby but I think this whole notion of Canada "needing" immigrants is way way over hyped.

Remember we are in a severe recession right now and there are a lot of unemployed Canadians out there, many who have applied at those banks you speak of. Banks do not have a shortage of workers nor do they have lots of jobs.

So if Canada can't even employ its own people does it really "need" immigrants? I doubt it, this is just liberal propaganda. There has always been a shortage of well paying jobs in Canada, ask any skilled immigrant.

Canada is not California of a decade ago.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
AAL1984 said:
Good post Toby but I think this whole notion of Canada "needing" immigrants is way way over hyped.

Remember we are in a severe recession right now and there are a lot of unemployed Canadians out there, many who have applied at those banks you speak of. Banks do not have a shortage of workers nor do they have lots of jobs.

So if Canada can't even employ its own people does it really "need" immigrants? I doubt it, this is just liberal propaganda. There has always been a shortage of well paying jobs in Canada, ask any skilled immigrant.

Not sure why liberals would make propaganda to let immigrants in if they weren't good for the country. Can you help me understand this point?

You make a good point: perhaps there are no jobs at this moment. Not being in Canada right now, I am not up to date on today's economic conditions.

I was thinking of the larger picture in which Canada's birth rate is too low to provide enough taxpayers to fund its social programs in the future. Canada will need taxpaying immigrants to maintain current standards of living in Canada. Maybe not right now, but inevitably.

To say that Canada has never had well-paying jobs is not true, though. True, professionals in other countries have difficulty satisfying provincial requirements for professions in Canada, but many Canadians and certain immigrants can and do get very nice salaries. Maybe Canada is not California of the 1990's, but Ottawa's high-tech sector is a close second to silicone valley.

I guess my overall point is that we need good immigrants to maintain our current standard of living in the future, as the "Canadian" part of the population ages and drops out of the tax-paying labour force. So, we should be encouraging people like the original poster.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
toby said:
Not sure why liberals would make propaganda to let immigrants in if they weren't good for the country. Can you help me understand this point?

You make a good point: perhaps there are no jobs at this moment. Not being in Canada right now, I am not up to date on today's economic conditions.

I was thinking of the larger picture in which Canada's birth rate is too low to provide enough taxpayers to fund its social programs in the future. Canada will need taxpaying immigrants to maintain current standards of living in Canada. Maybe not right now, but inevitably.

To say that Canada has never had well-paying jobs is not true, though. True, professionals in other countries have difficulty satisfying provincial requirements for professions in Canada, but many Canadians and certain immigrants can and do get very nice salaries. Maybe Canada is not California of the 1990's, but Ottawa's high-tech sector is a close second to silicone valley.

I guess my overall point is that we need good immigrants to maintain our current standard of living in the future, as the "Canadian" part of the population ages and drops out of the tax-paying labour force. So, we should be encouraging people like the original poster.
Well its obvious in the past liberal governments encouraged immigration to pander to the ethnic vote, the idea was that those people let in under liberal governments would later go on to vote liberal. Also liberal politicians are generally afraid to do anything that would seem to restrict immigration for fear of being labeled as racist, as largely these politicians are older white men.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of think tanks and very smart people who present the view that too much immigration or immigration at current levels is not sustainable, you may not agree with their views, but that viewpoint is out there.

I'm not saying Canada never had well paying jobs, every country has those. I was just saying that these jobs were pretty tough to get and not in high numbers. Before the economic collapse in the U.S a lot of Canadians with advanced degrees or high education would head south, the so called brain drain. Canada is still largely a resource based economy and I think in terms of developed countries the investment in R&D and technology would be the lowest in Canada.

In terms of what you said at the end, I think it would be better if the government offered tax incentives for people to have children. I'm not sure if large population increases have really increased quality of life in places like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Endless traffic and gridlock, horrible wait times for medical care.

The government sure likes to bring in a lot of people but then doesn't want to fund things like infrastructure, education and health care to maintain quality. Just look at the state of infrastructure in Canada, its pretty sad, adding 250,000 people a year without massive investments will only make it worse. Also countries like Japan are also having an aging population but are not encouraging mass immigration.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
AAL1984 said:
Well its obvious in the past liberal governments encouraged immigration to pander to the ethnic vote, the idea was that those people let in under liberal governments would later go on to vote liberal. Also liberal politicians are generally afraid to do anything that would seem to restrict immigration for fear of being labeled as racist, as largely these politicians are older white men.

You'd love Australia, then, where the Prime Minister speaks her mind in no uncertain terms, and screens out all but the most desirable immigrants. I must admit, a direct, no-nonsense politician is a rare delight.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of think tanks and very smart people who present the view that too much immigration or immigration at current levels is not sustainable, you may not agree with their views, but that viewpoint is out there.

I wasn't aware that think tanks argue against immigration. If you could direct me to their work I'd be grateful. The only analyses I have seen conclude that if Canada cannot or will not produce the babies that will grow to become taxpayers, then immigration must fill the void.

You're right that the government must invest in infrastructure to accommodate the new people. Not to do so is short-sighted,
But you make Canada sound like it's crumbling. Is it that bad? I've seen only the west coast for the past ten years, so I can't judge.

I'm not saying Canada never had well paying jobs, every country has those. I was just saying that these jobs were pretty tough to get and not in high numbers. Before the economic collapse in the U.S a lot of Canadians with advanced degrees or high education would head south, the so called brain drain. Canada is still largely a resource based economy and I think in terms of developed countries the investment in R&D and technology would be the lowest in Canada.

In terms of what you said at the end, I think it would be better if the government offered tax incentives for people to have children. I'm not sure if large population increases have really increased quality of life in places like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Endless traffic and gridlock, horrible wait times for medical care.

The government sure likes to bring in a lot of people but then doesn't want to fund things like infrastructure, education and health care to maintain quality. Just look at the state of infrastructure in Canada, its pretty sad, adding 250,000 people a year without massive investments will only make it worse. Also countries like Japan are also having an aging population but are not encouraging mass immigration.

Japan may be making a big mistake, not renewing its population by means of immigration. But they have problems with xenophobia, I hear from friends who have lived there, and so are less accepting of foreigners coming there to live. Now Japan is suffering from deflation, because the older Japanese are buying less. No one invests in anything because the price will be lower tomorrow. And fewer people are paying taxes because they are retiring. Japan is not the best model on which to base an argument against immigration.

But back to the think tanks. I'd like to do some more reading, if you can direct me to their work.

Charlamag

Aug 31, 2011
You are young.
Take this time to explore a new country and take advantage of your youth, optimism, education and motivation and if that is Canada, welcome aboard!
It's a great country filled with wonderful people and a beautiful landscape.
The warm sandy beaches and family are but a plane ride away.
I moved to the USA but came back and I'm glad to be home!
Moving to another country is never easy but by embracing the challenge, enjoying the ride and staying focused - it's a fantastic journey. :)

Mimisha

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hello RS85,

Me too, I am from Maurtitius and planning to explore the possibility of emigrating to Canada. I appreciate you are taking decisions at very young age and ready to face new challenges very early. Just go ahead and experience it for yourself. You have a long journey and luckily you can return to Mts any time if you are tired. But I don't think that such time will come for you because you seem very ambitious!

Me too had the same feeling like you at first. I work as an Internal Auditor, have well settled with my husband and two daughters in Mts. Living a happy and easy life. The reason for my applying for immigration is for the sake of my daughters. I want them to pursue higher studies in Canada and take new challenges in life.

I am still waiting to get a positive reply in relation to my application dated June 2010.

All the best.

Mimisha

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AAL1984 said:

I think Canada need to attract more entrepreneurs (PR, returning Canadians or foreign investors) to come to Canada to invest and create jobs.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I`d like to add my voice to those who have encouraged RS85 to come to Canada, leaving an island paradise and a comfort zone where he is happy but merely exists without room for professional improvement. That is what ambition is: the willingness to sacrifice present comfort for future betterment.

RS85 works in a bank, probably in a lowly position to judge from his low salary. Great! Canadian banks are looking for bright people with ambition, ready to start at the bottom and learn the business from the ground up. The bank will encourage him to qualify himself (e.g. CFP – Chartered Financial Planner, and other qualifications) which he can get through home study, so that he may advise customers about investing (hopefully with the bank).

Fortunately he is not a professional in his home country, because foreign professionals often find themselves not permitted to practise their profession in Canada – without first spending years re-qualifying.

Instead, RS85 could catch on in Canada relatively easily, and as he rises in the ranks he will be earning more and paying taxes to Canada. He is the type of immigrant Canada needs; he is not coming to use our social welfare systems; he seem ready to contribute to society.

In short, RS85 should be encouraged to come to Canada, not encouraged to stay and vegetate on a beach, no matter how nice the weather. He is (again) exactly the type of immigrant Canada needs.
I agree with this completely. I have been here a year and a half - the first job I got was an entry level bank worker. After a while I am no longer there, BUT I am in contact with those in the bank, and I can direct you easily to a couple of banking sites that have positions for a customer service representative - teller. There are many, many immigrants working the front lines at banks - prove yourself and you will move on. Yes, clearly there is a slowdown, but the banks are hiring. (although the pay is peanuts....). Look at cibc and bmo for starters.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
Mimisha said:
I am still waiting to get a positive reply in relation to my application dated June 2010.
Mimisha
Mimisha,

Best of luck with your application and I hope you find what you are seeking!

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi Mimisha,

It would be nice if we can get in contact, so we can share stuffs.

Let me know.

Thx

bigred

Jan 25, 2012
toby said:
I`d like to add my voice to those who have encouraged RS85 to come to Canada, leaving an island paradise and a comfort zone where he is happy but merely exists without room for professional improvement. That is what ambition is: the willingness to sacrifice present comfort for future betterment.

RS85 works in a bank, probably in a lowly position to judge from his low salary. Great! Canadian banks are looking for bright people with ambition, ready to start at the bottom and learn the business from the ground up. The bank will encourage him to qualify himself (e.g. CFP – Chartered Financial Planner, and other qualifications) which he can get through home study, so that he may advise customers about investing (hopefully with the bank).

Fortunately he is not a professional in his home country, because foreign professionals often find themselves not permitted to practise their profession in Canada – without first spending years re-qualifying.

Instead, RS85 could catch on in Canada relatively easily, and as he rises in the ranks he will be earning more and paying taxes to Canada. He is the type of immigrant Canada needs; he is not coming to use our social welfare systems; he seem ready to contribute to society.

In short, RS85 should be encouraged to come to Canada, not encouraged to stay and vegetate on a beach, no matter how nice the weather. He is (again) exactly the type of immigrant Canada needs.

very well said.

yoshy1986

Sep 29, 2012
I was asking myself the same questions but now that i have my PR in hand and am moving in April 2013. I have no doubt anymore... i am a survivor like u:)

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi every1

Got my CSQ yesterday , now will apply for PR

am really happy !!!

Now it is materializing and the real preparations starts

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
''''if you think the grass is greener on the other side----fertilize your own first" !!!!!!!!

If you think life in Canada is easy, you will be very disappointed. I have seen so many people working 2 jobs and they still struggle. Yup-----come to Canada and find out for yourself---Eh !!

There are so many myths about Canada.