+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I move to Canada with PR or remain on H1

stat2pr

Feb 19, 2019
I'm in US on H1B FT job with approved I-140 and priority date of EB2 2012.
I am clueless as to when I'll be able to get EAD, will that be when Date of Filing gets current?
Anyway, don't know how long it would take and its frustrating because I want to visit India without the stress of uncertainty in H1 visa stamping ( having got stuck in India as a contractor before I haven't visited India due to this uncertainty in visa stamping.
I don't have my family in US, but my spouse's family is here.
I'm still unsure as to whether I should go ahead and apply for Canadian PR due to starting life from scratch again there and also the scarcity of jobs in IT there. This is very frustrating and I don't really know what to pursue. Any advice or another dimension would be appreciated.

nitinvgarg

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
We are all aware about employment challenges in Canada however life is not easy in US as well these days. What makes the difference between a good and average life is a good job. US job market might be very good but it is very difficult for H1b's to change employment. With H1's, you are basically stuck in your existing job as there are very companies ready to do H1 transfer. Most of the requirements are for US Citizens and GC holders. Unless you have a good paying job or less work stress, I see no work-life balance in US. Jobs have become very demanding in US. The major problem in US is everything is linked with your job like Health insurance, visa etc.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Everyone's situation is different. You have to evaluate your own situation and decide. Use the following factors in deciding.
  • How much does it cost to apply for Canada PR? Overall for a family of 2 + 1/2 children, it costs about 6k USD. Are you willing to spend that?
  • How satisfied are you with your current job? Are you valued at the company? Is working from Canada possible?
  • How much of a pay hit are you willing to take? (If you get the same/higher salary in Canada, well and good) but what's the minimum?
  • Do you like cold weather?
  • Do you prefer the more liberal environment in Canada? Social issues, gun laws, environmental laws etc. matter to you?
  • Is free/subsidized healthcare important to you?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also have to factor in the cost of living. If you are living in somewhere like Texas but move to Toronto or Vancouver your cost of living will skyrocket and income will likely decline. Are you a single income family? Does your wife want to work? What if she needs to work? The healthcare issue gets thrown around a lot but that is such a small factor.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Everyone's situation is different. You have to evaluate your own situation and decide. Use the following factors in deciding.
  • How much does it cost to apply for Canada PR? Overall for a family of 2 + 1/2 children, it costs about 6k USD. Are you willing to spend that?
  • How satisfied are you with your current job? Are you valued at the company? Is working from Canada possible?
  • How much of a pay hit are you willing to take? (If you get the same/higher salary in Canada, well and good) but what's the minimum?
  • Do you like cold weather?
  • Do you prefer the more liberal environment in Canada? Social issues, gun laws, environmental laws etc. matter to you?
  • Is free/subsidized healthcare important to you?
Doesn't matter, very satisfied, not willing even little and no for rest, but also EQUALLY don't like being stuck in backlog forever and visa uncertainty. How does one decide then?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Doesn't matter, very satisfied, not willing even little and no for rest, but also EQUALLY don't like being stuck in backlog forever and visa uncertainty. How does one decide then?
You can't always have everything. Based on your answers stay in the US.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
That's the question, isn't it. Those factors are all mostly costs. The benefit that you have to weigh on the other hand is Visa stability, spouse's ability to work etc.
It's not an easy question. I am in the same boat, weighing all my options.

stat2pr

Feb 19, 2019
I just checked my CRS score hypothetically and it seems to show below 300, looks like I need to do very well on IELTS and my wife would have to take the test as well in order for it to be 440+. Even then due to my age I guess it won't help much as it goes down 5 points every year. Spouse's age is not even considered.
I know its virtually impossible to get a job offer in Canada from USA but how do people get in IT?
I'm not very satisified here in US in reference to everything, job and GC bakclog. Wife is a professional as well but worried since EAD would be ending too.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I just checked my CRS score hypothetically and it seems to show below 300, looks like I need to do very well on IELTS and my wife would have to take the test as well in order for it to be 440+. Even then due to my age I guess it won't help much as it goes down 5 points every year. Spouse's age is not even considered.
I know its virtually impossible to get a job offer in Canada from USA but how do people get in IT?
I'm not very satisified here in US in reference to everything, job and GC bakclog. Wife is a professional as well but worried since EAD would be ending too.
Try provincial nomination.
Even in Canadian side people wont be happy because of less jobs and less pay. So we have issues at both sides of the border.

stat2pr

Feb 19, 2019
Try provincial nomination.
Even in Canadian side people wont be happy because of less jobs and less pay. So we have issues at both sides of the border.
That is so true! But for PNP it would be Ontario, how would I get a job offer from Ontario sitting in US?
PS: I live in NY and its super costly,.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
That is so true! But for PNP it would be Ontario, how would I get a job offer from Ontario sitting in US?
PS: I live in NY and its super costly,.
Ontario Human Capital streams doesn't need a job. However, they will have to invite you first based on your EE profile for you to even put in an application.

You might want to create a EE profile and hope for the best.