+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I inform CIC for being away.

galingal

Oct 4, 2012
It will be 12 months next week after I got Citizenship booklet. I heard nothing from CIC yet and I'm going for 2 months holiday.. I've have heard from my friend that I could notice CIC that i will be away for avoiding stress while my holiday.
I am worrying that I might get the letter for the test and have to rush back (I know it's less chance for that would happen but just peace my mind).

What should I do, should I notice CIC?? Or taking a chance incase if the letter comes. Will it be affected delay for my processing if I do notice CIC? Anybody has any ideas or want to suggest, will be very appriciated.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
you should notify cic, just let them know that you will be away for the time period and do not schedule any test or request any documents from you. however, that might significantly delay your case, basically your file will be pulled out of normal processing line up. the chance CIC make errors on your file will get higher.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't recommend notifying them and here's why:

1) I'm on various citizenship forums for a long time and I've seen on several occasions people notified CIC of a trip only to find test invitation in their mailbox upon their return and to (nearly) miss the test. I don't think you'll be able to completely avoid stress now knowing this info.

2) they may assign "on hold" status derailing your case from a normal timeline, it will also move your case down a waiting queue hence your test may be delayed way more than 2 months. Also there's a risk they won't remove "on hold" status properly for whatever reasons and you'll get doubts.

One needs to realize that CIC call centre is a bunch of low paid boys and girls in Montreal, sometimes not knowing what the hell they are doing.

I would just check e-cas, it shouldn't be too late for you to return to test if you'll get an update in e-cas and it's worth it.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
galingal said:
It will be 12 months next week after I got Citizenship booklet. I heard nothing from CIC yet and I'm going for 2 months holiday.. I've have heard from my friend that I could notice CIC that i will be away for avoiding stress while my holiday.
I am worrying that I might get the letter for the test and have to rush back (I know it's less chance for that would happen but just peace my mind).

What should I do, should I notice CIC?? Or taking a chance incase if the letter comes. Will it be affected delay for my processing if I do notice CIC? Anybody has any ideas or want to suggest, will be very appriciated.
If the following rule did not change in last 3 years, then you have to inform CIC.

If you are away from Canada for more than 3 consecutive weeks, you need to inform by calling CIC call center before leaving Canada. I read on the CIC website.

I did that in 2009 when my citizenship application was in process and I took 5 weeks vacation. I called CIC and pointed out that I read on CIC website to inform them when going out of Canada for more than 3 weeks. At the same time I informed them about my 5 weeks vacation. I gave them the date when I was coming back to Canada from vacation. They said ok and they had noted on my file.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajmalhotra7 said:
If the following rule did not change in last 3 years, then you have to inform CIC.

If you are away from Canada for more than 3 consecutive weeks, you need to inform by calling CIC call center before leaving Canada. I read on the CIC website.
There's no such "rule" in a sense that there's no legitimate basis for it whatsoever, it's merely a recommendation they posted on website so they'll put case on hold and/or won't send correspondence/schedule events while an applicant is out of Canada.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EasyRider said:
There's no such "rule" in a sense that there's no legitimate basis for it whatsoever, it's merely a recommendation they posted on website so they'll put case on hold and/or won't send correspondence/schedule events while an applicant is out of Canada.
You are right... It is a kind of recommendation. I had chosen to inform CIC on my days (5 weeks) away from Canada. If I can recall correctly, they were happy that I informed them. I also got test date scheduled on one of the vacation day. I told them that I had bought tickets and returning after 5 weeks. They said that I do not need to worry and they will again schedule me for next available test date.

galingal

Oct 4, 2012
Thank you all for your responds. That is the most worry me "on hold", and my online status is not there yet. I don't know if there is no online update somehow i think my case will take longer than normal.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
galingal said:
Thank you all for your responds. That is the most worry me "on hold", and my online status is not there yet. I don't know if there is no online update somehow i think my case will take longer than normal.
Do you have a reliable address and someone who can check your mail regularly? If yes then IMHO let things be with CIC but be prepared to return to Canada at very short notice. Depending on your destination you may want to consider purchasing a ticket that you can change the travel dates with a zero or minimal charge. Note too that one of the triggers for RQ has been where an applicant has a recent entry stamp in the passport for taking the test although this seems to apply to those who have left Canada after applying (and there are residence concerns) whereas you are just on vacation.

galingal

Oct 4, 2012
Do you have a reliable address and someone who can check your mail regularly?
To Msafiri: Yes, I do have. I'm married to a canadian and he has family here, and we own our home.. And every year that we go back to my home country for vacations and the rest of the year we stay in Canada. I think we will take a chance and if there is news, will come back for it. My priority is to get it done and no worry or stress any more. I'm really appreciated and truly understand whoever being in the same situation.