+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I appear for G or G2 road test?

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
Hello all,

I m eligible to appear for G and G2 both because of my past experience. Was wondering the following.

1. Which license I should appear for? G2 or full G? Which one is easier to pass?

2. I will be appearing in Mississauga drive test center. Is that a good center?

3. Is there any difference between G2 and G apart from the alcohol level?

4. Also, I am not overly concerned regarding the insurance fee for G2.

5. I have my international driving permit. So can I rent a car and take it to the drive test center? I heard somewhere that after G1 license, I cannot use my international driving license. Is it true? If yes, then any official reference would be appreciated.

6. I will be out of Canada for 1year and 9months and the moment I am doing my soft landing for 40 days. So won't be buying/leasing a car, instead will rent a car.

Thanks

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello all,

I m eligible to appear for G and G2 both because of my past experience. Was wondering the following.

1. Which license I should appear for? G2 or full G? Which one is easier to pass?

2. I will be appearing in Mississauga drive test center. Is that a good center?

3. Is there any difference between G2 and G apart from the alcohol level?

4. Also, I am not overly concerned regarding the insurance fee for G2.

5. I have my international driving permit. So can I rent a car and take it to the drive test center? I heard somewhere that after G1 license, I cannot use my international driving license. Is it true? If yes, then any official reference would be appreciated.

6. I will be out of Canada for 1year and 9months and the moment I am doing my soft landing for 40 days. So won't be buying/leasing a car, instead will rent a car.

Thanks
1. G2 is easier. Depending upon your comfort with Canada style driving (freeways, left side, rule familiarity) you can take G. If you are unsure, take G2, especially since you say later that you dont care about insurance rates.
2. Yes
3. Yes, for G2 it is zero
4. Do check online quotes before you convince yourself of that, it can range from 1000 CAD/year
5. Yes, you can rent a car. But it is not allowed, although people have reported instances where they were let go by traffic cops. But strict rule interpretation says after G1, it is as good as not having that license. That is why folks recommend finishing driving test within the .
6. Good to know. Remember that your license can take 1-2 weeks to be delivered after test

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
1. G2 doesn't have a highway test, so it should be easier.
2. No idea. Just make sure you're able to find a vacant slot for your test first.
3. You can see differences here. I've been driving with my G2 for over a year, no issues.
4. I was told it doesn't matter a lot since you don't have driving history in Canada.
5. That's correct. Once you have a G1 license, you cannot use your international license.
6. I personally didn't apply for a DL until I moved permanently because I didn't want to establish secondary ties to Canada in addition to opening a bank account and getting a credit card. Why do you need a DL now when you can use your International Driving Permit during those 40 days?

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
1. G2 is easier. Depending upon your comfort with Canada style driving (freeways, left side, rule familiarity) you can take G. If you are unsure, take G2, especially since you say later that you dont care about insurance rates.
2. Yes
3. Yes, for G2 it is zero
4. Do check online quotes before you convince yourself of that, it can range from 1000 CAD/year
5. Yes, you can rent a car. But it is not allowed, although people have reported instances where they were let go by traffic cops. But strict rule interpretation says after G1, it is as good as not having that license. That is why folks recommend finishing driving test within the .
6. Good to know. Remember that your license can take 1-2 weeks to be delivered after test
Hi Subodhp,

Could you please help with these questions related to getting an Ontario driving license:
A bit of context:
I went to the driving license authority office in Toronto and showed them my previous license (9 years old, Indian license), they asked me to fill an application form and to mention my driving experience years in the form and then they asked me to sit for a written test, which i did and passed it. They issued me a G1 (learners license). Also they took a driving test fee. Which i am not sure for which test G2 or G road test. I forgot to ask them and i am not in Canada at the moment.

My questions are:
Can I present my driver license extract to them when I book a road test (I can do the G road test, as I am familiar with highway driving)?
Or because I did not present the extract when i applied for G1 license, Do I have to now go through normal G2 and G road test system with mandatory waiting period?
I can not drive on highways with my G1 license and i have heard that during the G road test, the examiner asks you about your driving experience on 400 series highways. I was wondering if they also accept driving experience on other country's 80-110 km highways ( i live in another western country, similar road rules with Canada, but i never bothered to get that country's driving license, silly me :D, they have direct exchange agreement with Ontario), As i would like to take the G road test immediately after i arrive in Toronto again?

Thank You!

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi Subodhp,

Could you please help with these questions related to getting an Ontario driving license:
A bit of context:
I went to the driving license authority office in Toronto and showed them my previous license (9 years old, Indian license), they asked me to fill an application form and to mention my driving experience years in the form and then they asked me to sit for a written test, which i did and passed it. They issued me a G1 (learners license). Also they took a driving test fee. Which i am not sure for which test G2 or G road test. I forgot to ask them and i am not in Canada at the moment.

My questions are:
Can I present my driver license extract to them when I book a road test (I can do the G road test, as I am familiar with highway driving)?
Or because I did not present the extract when i applied for G1 license, Do I have to now go through normal G2 and G road test system with mandatory waiting period?
I can not drive on highways with my G1 license and i have heard that during the G road test, the examiner asks you about your driving experience on 400 series highways. I was wondering if they also accept driving experience on other country's 80-110 km highways ( i live in another western country, similar road rules with Canada, but i never bothered to get that country's driving license, silly me :D, they have direct exchange agreement with Ontario), As i would like to take the G road test immediately after i arrive in Toronto again?

Thank You!
Do familiarise yourself with the rules here : https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

Answers to your questions
You likely were setup for a g2 test since with license alone you can claim 12 months of experience and get to give g2 without wait. You should be able to find this info in sheet that they have to you with appointment details (if you booked one)

You can present dl extract on a later day as well and they will let you take g directly after processing any fees.

Yes, they ask about past driving experience and you should be able to answer those based on your foreign experience.

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Do familiarise yourself with the rules here : https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

Answers to your questions
You likely were setup for a g2 test since with license alone you can claim 12 months of experience and get to give g2 without wait. You should be able to find this info in sheet that they have to you with appointment details (if you booked one)

You can present dl extract on a later day as well and they will let you take g directly after processing any fees.

Yes, they ask about past driving experience and you should be able to answer those based on your foreign experience.
Thanks Subodhp1,

Unfortunately the drivetest.ca website can not be accessed (the website just never loads) outside Canada or maybe in my country of residence. So I am unable to access any information from it.

aleersurahio

Mar 18, 2019
Someone told me if you go for G test after you pass G1 with your foreign license, there are 90% chances they will fail you. Is it true?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Someone told me if you go for G test after you pass G1 with your foreign license, there are 90% chances they will fail you. Is it true?
False, it all depends on your skills and not whether you are transferring from foreign license. But yes don't expect that because you can drive in a certain country that you would be able to sail through the test in Canada. Commit to preparing for the exam

ramseriv

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
Hello,

I have +10 years of driving experience in my country and soon will be landing in Ontario:

1. Can I PRACTICE SPECIFICALLY ALONE in highways during those 3 months with my foreign license?
2. What is the maximum permissible timeframe to book an appointment for Gfull after obtaining the G1 license (considering I'll skip the G2 license based on my driving history). I mean can I pay Gfull fees after passing the knowledge test, and book Gfull for months or years later?

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
Hello,

I have +10 years of driving experience in my country and soon will be landing in Ontario:

1. Can I PRACTICE SPECIFICALLY ALONE in highways during those 3 months with my foreign license?
2. What is the maximum permissible timeframe to book an appointment for Gfull after obtaining the G1 license (considering I'll skip the G2 license based on my driving history). I mean can I pay Gfull fees after passing the knowledge test, and book Gfull for months or years later?

1. Yes you can drive anywhere with your foreign license including highways.

2. After getting a G1, you will have 5 years to go for G driving license. You can book as early as you would like depending on available appointments.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ramseriv

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
According to Ontario website (https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-4), for people with full foreign licenses, 2+ years of experience, and no exchange conditions, "After you pass the written and eye tests, you need to take one road test (G2 road test). You can book the G2 road test right away. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence." So it seems like taking G2 is easier, cheaper, and sufficient to get a full license, right? Taking the full G road test seems unnecessary, more risky, and more expensive. Am I mistaken?

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
Hello,

For #1 yes, but it is not 3 months. You can drive for 60 days. "New residents: When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence." See: https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-0

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
According to Ontario website (https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-4), for people with full foreign licenses, 2+ years of experience, and no exchange conditions, "After you pass the written and eye tests, you need to take one road test (G2 road test). You can book the G2 road test right away. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence." So it seems like taking G2 is easier, cheaper, and sufficient to get a full license, right? Taking the full G road test seems unnecessary, more risky, and more expensive. Am I mistaken?
Basically according to Ontario.ca website G2 roadtest refers to full license test (G roadtest which includes highway testing). So basically if you have 2 years of experience + your foreign license, you will be eligible to go for your full license test which is G road test according to drivetest.ca

I know its confusing because ontario.ca and drivetest.ca use different terms. According to ontario.ca if you pass your G1 roadtest, you get a G2 driving licence, while if you pass a G2 road test, you get a full G class license.

Reactions: heck_i_am

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
Basically according to Ontario.ca website G2 roadtest refers to full license test (G roadtest which includes highway testing). So basically if you have 2 years of experience + your foreign license, you will be eligible to go for your full license test which is G road test according to drivetest.ca

I know its confusing because ontario.ca and drivetest.ca use different terms. According to ontario.ca if you pass your G1 roadtest, you get a G2 driving licence, while if you pass a G2 road test, you get a full G class license.
That is the part that was confusing. Ontario.ca mentions G1 and G2 road tests, whereas DriveTest.ca books for G and G2 tests. I will probably call to make sure of this but what you say suggests that Ontario.ca refers to the tests by your current license and DriveTest.ca refers to the tests by the license you are trying to obtain.

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
That is the part that was confusing. Ontario.ca mentions G1 and G2 road tests, whereas DriveTest.ca books for G and G2 tests. I will probably call to make sure of this but what you say suggests that Ontario.ca refers to the tests by your current license and DriveTest.ca refers to the tests by the license you are trying to obtain.
Sure you can call to confirm. But calling service ontario won't help you (I've worked for them previously). You need to contact drivetest.ca

Reactions: heck_i_am