+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Trip to the US with work permit

michael94

May 13, 2018
Hi,

I am a German citizen currently working in Canada with a valid work permit ( IEC Co-op).
On the permit it says ''This does not authorize re-entry".
I do plan to go on a short weekend camping trip to the US (by car).

From what I have read that should be possible without any issues and the only thing which I have to bring with me is my passport (+the work permit?).

My question:
Is it true, that I can re-enter Canada from the US via land border with my passport and a valid work permit only?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A work permit is not a travel document on its own which is all that statement is implying.

You probably know this but as a German passport holder you would come under the US visa waiver scheme so crossing the land border into the US you would get an i94, cost 6 dollars.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

On the return all you need would be your passport and work permit copy which assume CBSA at some point stapled in your passport as seems usual for an IEC.

The does not authorise reentry statement is just a statement implying that as a temporary resident you would still be subject to an entry assessment as a temporary resident, but no need to overthink things as people come and go all the time even on IEC permits.