+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Stay/Soft Landing

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Hi,

Please excuse me if this question has been asked already...

I am planning to do a soft landing in about a month. Since I am planning to stay a week and return to my original location, don't have much luggage with me.

Looking at CIC website.. I have got few questions and appreciate anyone can guide me on this.
1. Health Insurance - Do I have take temporary insurance cover for the stay I will be in Canada|?
2. Bank Account - Do I have to book any prior appointment in case to open a bank account? Any suggestions on the bank where opening an account for immigrants is easy? Looking in internet, I see most of the bank offer free account only for 9 months. Considering I am doing soft landing does it add any value to open a bank account now?
3. Customs Declaration Card - Is this similar to Landing card and would get one in the flight?
4. BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Documents - I am not bringing anything from the list mentioned below under 'do have to pay duty on' items. Is this mandatory to submit if I don't have any items to list?

"A duty is a fee that the government charges on some goods when they enter Canada.

You don’t have to pay duty on:

• books
  • linens
  • clothes
  • jewellery
  • antiques
  • furniture
  • silverware
  • musical instruments
  • gifts worth CDN $60 or less each
  • hobby tools and other hobby items
  • private collections of coins, stamps or art
  • appliances, such as a stove or refrigerator
You do have to pay duty on:

• farm equipment
  • equipment you plan to use in:
    • contracting
    • construction
    • manufacturing
  • vehicles you plan to use for business
  • items you have bought on your way to Canada
  • items you have leased or rented
    • we don’t consider leased or rented items things that you own
If you’re not sure if you have to pay duty on some items, bring sales receipts and registration documents with you. "

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1)For your interest, yes
2) Up to you
3) You would not receive one if you land in Vancouver airport
4) You can provide this later when you settle for good

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Just incase if anyone like me interested to know more ....

I have recently finished the landing formalities, everything went smooth except for the wait time about 2hrs for immigration. Haven't got landing card in flight as everything was computerized. I should say those machines at the airport are pretty smart.. the moment you scan your passport it will tell you which flight you travelled on. Nothing was asked about BSF186 form.

There came the words 'Congratulations, now you are the PR of Canada.Welcome to Canada. Stay for 2/5 years to continue the status and 3/5 years to apply for Citizenship.

There is a counter next to Immigration to apply for SIN and took about 30 mins to get it. They gave a booklet on Canada and very much impressed by it. It has everything one needs to know on their first visit. Of course that what the book should meant to be.

Took about 3hrs for the entire process and to get out of airport. I must say people are very friendly except for few who looked a bit grumpy.

AKOPEIN

Nov 24, 2017
You are really helpful sir. I just got my Visa and COPR few days back from VFS Delhi via Blue Dart. How many days does it take to get the PR card? I am also planning to do a soft landing and then get back to India since i have some obligations here!

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
You are really helpful sir. I just got my Visa and COPR few days back from VFS Delhi via Blue Dart. How many days does it take to get the PR card? I am also planning to do a soft landing and then get back to India since i have some obligations here!
Not sure on the timelines yet.. I am yet to receive mine.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
57 days as per their timescales published on the CIC website.

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
2.5 - 3 months to receive your PR cards

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017

I have recently finished the landing formalities, everything went smooth except for the wait time about 2hrs for immigration. Haven't got landing card in flight as everything was computerized. I should say those machines at the airport are pretty smart.. the moment you scan your passport it will tell you which flight you travelled on. Nothing was asked about BSF186 form.

There came the words 'Congratulations, now you are the PR of Canada.Welcome to Canada. Stay for 2/5 years to continue the status and 3/5 years to apply for Citizenship.

There is a counter next to Immigration to apply for SIN and took about 30 mins to get it. They gave a booklet on Canada and very much impressed by it. It has everything one needs to know on their first visit. Of course that what the book should meant to be.

Took about 3hrs for the entire process and to get out of airport. I must say people are very friendly except for few who looked a bit grumpy.
Which airport was this?

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Thank you for this update! As someone who is preparing to do a soft landing in June I found it really helpful (I'm finding the whole idea of a soft landing stressful as there isn't a lot of information to be found).

Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

Did they check your funds at this point? My husband and I are travelling (he is on a spouse visa so I'm not sure he needs the same level of funds as someone on a working visa) but we haven't sold our house in the UK so won't have as much unencumbered funds as some other immigrants.
Should my husband sign up for a SIN on this visit or wait until we move permanently?
We you given any advice or suggestions about what you need to provide when you move permanently?

Thanks again!

May 12, 2018
Sir, I have got Immigration Visa valid till 20th Sep 2018 so I understand that I have to enter Canada before that. I am planning to visit for 10-12 days and permanently move later. Is it possible to leave Canada after 20th Sep without PR card since I will not have PR card in 10-12 days and will have to request a friend to receive it. Moreover, Do I need to show Proof of funds at port of entry and will a simple bank statement of my bank account (in my home currency) will be sufficient or do I need to show them equivalent funds in CAD.?

May 12, 2018

Sir, I have got Immigration Visa valid till 20th Sep 2018 so I understand that I have to enter Canada before that. I am planning to visit for 10-12 days and permanently move later. Is it possible to leave Canada after 20th Sep without PR card since I will not have PR card in 10-12 days and will have to request a friend to receive it. Moreover, Do I need to show Proof of funds at port of entry and will a simple bank statement of my bank account (in my home currency) will be sufficient or do I need to show them equivalent funds in CAD.?

ujk86

May 16, 2017

Thanks for this info. It is very helpful. My wife and I are going to do soft landing in June for a week.
We will also land at Toronto airport. What documents should we take? How do we show proof of funds?
Is it ok to give a friend's address for PR card?
Did you end up opening a bank account?

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Thank you for this update! As someone who is preparing to do a soft landing in June I found it really helpful (I'm finding the whole idea of a soft landing stressful as there isn't a lot of information to be found).

Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

Did they check your funds at this point? My husband and I are travelling (he is on a spouse visa so I'm not sure he needs the same level of funds as someone on a working visa) but we haven't sold our house in the UK so won't have as much unencumbered funds as some other immigrants.
Should my husband sign up for a SIN on this visit or wait until we move permanently?
We you given any advice or suggestions about what you need to provide when you move permanently?

Thanks again!
No they haven't asked me to show the Proof of Funds.

From the information I got.. you would need to show 15,531CAD for two people. Don't think each have to show this amount.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/proof-funds.html

For me applying for SIN took only 10 mins.. so don't see a reason why don't want to apply now.

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Yeah, its possible to leave Canada with out PR but key is you can't enter Canada with out PR card.

I have carried my UK bank statement.. from the information I collected from the forum. .bank statement showing the evidence of your funds should suffice.. not necessarily you should convert that to CAD.