+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Stay/Soft Landing

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Thanks for this info. It is very helpful. My wife and I are going to do soft landing in June for a week.
We will also land at Toronto airport. What documents should we take? How do we show proof of funds?
Is it ok to give a friend's address for PR card?
Did you end up opening a bank account?
Only document they have asked from was COPR. I carried my bank statement for POF but they haven't asked me to show.
Yeah, its Ok to give your friends address.
No, I haven't opened a bank account yet. But realised after going there with your COPR you can open one easily. Banks knew that we wouldn't have any address proof

toughchick

Jul 16, 2017
Hi,

Could someone please help me with the following questions:

Is there minimum amount of days that you should stay for when you do the soft landing? Is a 4 day stay okay?

After I complete the soft landing, do I have to return to Canada by a specified time? Someone told me that you have to return to the country within 6 months after leaving. Is that true?

Thanks in advance. I would greatly appreciate the help since I would like to buy my ticket as soon as possible.

Reactions: coder_immigrant

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

Could someone please help me with the following questions:

Is there minimum amount of days that you should stay for when you do the soft landing? Is a 4 day stay okay?

After I complete the soft landing, do I have to return to Canada by a specified time? Someone told me that you have to return to the country within 6 months after leaving. Is that true?

Thanks in advance. I would greatly appreciate the help since I would like to buy my ticket as soon as possible.
A 4 day stay is fine, in theory you could land and leave same day if you wanted once you have completed your landing although at least with 4 days you can sort out a SIN and a bank account plus look around for areas you might want to live in.

Keep in mind you need a Canadian address for your PR card and when you plan to return At a later date if that includes flying to Canada you would need your PR card or a PRTD.

Once you have completed your landing you can stay away for near 3 years as long as you meet the residency obligation to be in Canada 2 years out of the initial 5 years from landing. If you did stay away say for 3 years you would need to stay for 2 years without leaving the country at all.

So the 6 month thing is simply an untrue statement as long as you meet the 2 out of 5 year obligation.

Last edited:
Reactions: qureishi and Jakev

toughchick

Jul 16, 2017
A 4 day stay is fine, in theory you could land and leave same day if you wanted once you have completed your landing although at least with 4 days you can sort out a SIN and a bank account plus look around for areas you might want to live in.

Keep in mind you need a Canadian address for your PR card and when you plan to return At a later date if that includes flying to Canada you would need your PR card or a PRTD.

Once you have completed your landing you can stay away for near 3 years as long as you meet the residency obligation to be in Canada 2 years out of the initial 5 years from landing. If you did stay away say for 3 years you would need to stay for 2 years without leaving the country at all.

So the 6 month thing is simply an untrue statement as long as you meet the 2 out of 5 year obligation.
Thanks much, Bs65. I intend to give them my aunt's address so she can send the PR card to me. I asked the questions that I did because my aunt raised concerns about the length of my stay and my intention to move to Canada for good 9 months after completing the soft landing. I had planned to get the SIN and open a bank account during the 4 days. I will definitely take your advice about checking out apartments. I will go ahead and book my tickets. Thanks again.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Just incase if anyone like me interested to know more ....

I have recently finished the landing formalities, everything went smooth except for the wait time about 2hrs for immigration. Haven't got landing card in flight as everything was computerized. I should say those machines at the airport are pretty smart.. the moment you scan your passport it will tell you which flight you travelled on. Nothing was asked about BSF186 form.

There came the words 'Congratulations, now you are the PR of Canada.Welcome to Canada. Stay for 2/5 years to continue the status and 3/5 years to apply for Citizenship.

There is a counter next to Immigration to apply for SIN and took about 30 mins to get it. They gave a booklet on Canada and very much impressed by it. It has everything one needs to know on their first visit. Of course that what the book should meant to be.

Took about 3hrs for the entire process and to get out of airport. I must say people are very friendly except for few who looked a bit grumpy.
Which airport was this? Toronto? Vancouver?

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Sir, I have got Immigration Visa valid till 20th Sep 2018 so I understand that I have to enter Canada before that. I am planning to visit for 10-12 days and permanently move later. Is it possible to leave Canada after 20th Sep without PR card since I will not have PR card in 10-12 days and will have to request a friend to receive it. Moreover, Do I need to show Proof of funds at port of entry and will a simple bank statement of my bank account (in my home currency) will be sufficient or do I need to show them equivalent funds in CAD.?
Its OK to leave Canada after staying 10-12 days without PR card.But you need PR card to return and your friend can send it to you at your home country.

Bank statement will not be enough in normal circumstances and its better to take cash or demand draft.

umangsk

Jan 25, 2018
Mississauga, ON
I have a question regarding the soft landing. I'm from India, and I'll be doing the soft landing in August'18. I plan to return back to India in a week.

Now my question is, can I take a connecting flight via Frankfurt, Germany (Toronto -> Frankfurt -> Pune) while coming back to India? has anyone done this before? I'm asking because when I'll return back, I won't have PR card yet, neither any valid visa for Canada. I have heard that when you transit via some European countries, you have to have valid US or Canada visa, or you need to get Airport Transit Visa of that country.

I'll greatly appreciate if someone can share their similar experience.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
I have a question regarding the soft landing. I'm from India, and I'll be doing the soft landing in August'18. I plan to return back to India in a week.

Now my question is, can I take a connecting flight via Frankfurt, Germany (Toronto -> Frankfurt -> Pune) while coming back to India? has anyone done this before? I'm asking because when I'll return back, I won't have PR card yet, neither any valid visa for Canada. I have heard that when you transit via some European countries, you have to have valid US or Canada visa, or you need to get Airport Transit Visa of that country.

I'll greatly appreciate if someone can share their similar experience.
no one will check for a visa if you stay airside in FRA. Been there many times.

Minid

May 28, 2017
Category........
Hi I am planning to do soft landing by September this year. I want to come back after a week. Somebody who has already done soft landing. Please suggest if I need to book return ticket after reaching Canada or I can do to and fro tickets together. Will immigration know from passport that I am going to come back a week later if I book my return ticket beforehand?

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
There is no problem in coming back after a week stay and the immigration officer is not going to check your return ticket. Its a normal practice..

Manu Kapoor

Dec 9, 2017
57 days as per their timescales published on the CIC website.
Hello Jakev... I perused your timeline and saw that it took merely 22 days for you to receive PPR after e-APR AOR. Well, I must say that is a pretty short amount of time. Just to be sure - Are you an Express Entry FSW applicant ? I never saw such a short time span of any such applicant. However, congrats and have a wonderful stay.

Manu Kapoor

Dec 9, 2017
Which airport was this?
Also I am curious to know why you landed in March 18 when you had PPR in December 17. Is it because of the cold weather in Canada then ? Hope I ma not bothering you much. I am trying to gain as much insight as possible reg. Soft landing.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Hello Jakev... I perused your timeline and saw that it took merely 22 days for you to receive PPR after e-APR AOR. Well, I must say that is a pretty short amount of time. Just to be sure - Are you an Express Entry FSW applicant ? I never saw such a short time span of any such applicant. However, congrats and have a wonderful stay.
Yes I was an Express Entry (FSW) applicant from India(Kerala to be rather precise). There were many people like me who received their PPR in 2 weeks or lesser.

Reactions: Manu Kapoor

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Also I am curious to know why you landed in March 18 when you had PPR in December 17. Is it because of the cold weather in Canada then ? Hope I ma not bothering you much. I am trying to gain as much insight as possible reg. Soft landing.
Firstly, because I never expected to get the PPR in December ! Secondly, as you rightly pointed out I wanted the winter might to reduce before I reach there.

Reactions: Manu Kapoor