+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Landing - No Address, Options?

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi all,

I want to do a short landing of maybe a few days or a week. I do not really have 57 days to spend waiting around for the PR card. I do not have friends or family to have it sent to.

A) will my PR have still been activated if I leave canada without the card? Will the CIC officer care that I'm only staying a few days? I don't want to fly all the way there and find i come away without confirming my PR.

B) Will it be difficult to get the replacement papers to return to Canada by air? I am British. He application form I saw seemed pretty long.

C) if I were to stay in Canada and wait for the PR card, does anybody know how I can find cheap accommodation lasting a couple of months? Most search engines only give hotels and hostels. I need a place I can have my card posted to, and somewhere affordable. Like somebody's home who takes in lodgers. Does anybody know how I can find out about such accommodation? Ideally near to Toronto, St John's, or Halifax.

Many thanks

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
There might be a solution.
Yes, Your PR will be active even you leave the country without your card. Land here and then go to Canada Post to get a post box at Niagara Falls for 3 months at least. Then update CIC with new PO Box address. Follow up with CIC after 50 Days for current status of your card. If your card was mailed out or in production book the tickets for Buffalo USA, (I am assuming as you have UK passport you are exempt from visa). Drive from Buffalo to Niagara by road as you do not need PR card just COPR to enter by road. Go to PO box and collect your card from there. And you are all set then.

Last edited:
Reactions: keebs and Berty3000

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
There might be a solution.
Land here and then go to Canada Post to get a post box at Niagara Falls for 3 months at least. Then update CIC with new PO Box address. Follow up with CIC after 50 Days for current status of your card. If your card was mailed out or in production book the tickets for Buffalo USA, (I am assuming as you have UK passport you are exempt from visa). Drive from Buffalo to Niagara by road as you do not need PR card just COPR to enter by road. Go to PO box and collect your card from there. And you are all set then.
PR Cards have not and will not be sent to PO BOX address. On top of that they are not forwarded to any address (envelope has a big "do not forward" stamp on them so the post knows that).

Reactions: Berty3000

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
PR Cards have not and will not be sent to PO BOX address. On top of that they are not forwarded to any address (envelope has a big "do not forward" stamp on them so the post knows that).
Well, You might have not read CIC website

"For PR Cards issued to new immigrants upon entry to Canada (Phase I cards), it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or a paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob491.asp

Canada Post or UPS are service Providers.

PO Box addresses are not acceptable in Phase II. Even in Second phase its acceptable if you have valid reason.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isn't more simple to apply a PR travel document from London UK instead and then fly directly to Canadian cities? He can get PR card when settle here for good.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
That's a safer option because the PR card might not be sent to the service provider due to photograph related issue.
Photograph issue? How is this relevant to service providers? If is there any photograph issue he can send new photograph anytime from UK to Nova Scotia.

In his Query he preferably doesn't wanna stay for two months here just for PR card. So he needs an address. He doesn't know anybody in Canada so he can have service provider to have his PR card. In CIC website they clearly mentioned that in Phase I (new Immigrant) they will deliver your PR card to service provider.

Secondly he asked for replacement doc from PRTD as he sees that and it seemed pretty long to him so I suggested him to travel through USA. But PRTD would be safe bet for him for sure.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Photograph issue? How is this relevant to service providers? If is there any photograph issue he can send new photograph anytime from UK to Nova Scotia.

In his Query he preferably doesn't wanna stay for two months here just for PR card. So he needs an address. He doesn't know anybody in Canada so he can have service provider to have his PR card. In CIC website they clearly mentioned that in Phase I (new Immigrant) they will deliver your PR card to service provider.

Secondly he asked for replacement doc from PRTD as he sees that and it seemed pretty long to him so I suggested him to travel through USA. But PRTD would be safe bet for him for sure.
How is this not relevant? It's not uncommon for new immigrants not receiving their PR cards at all due to photograph related problem regardless what address (service provider's or a family) given to IRCC at landing. If you have time, dig the forum for examples. Some people stayed for two months, but still not received their cards.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
How is this not relevant? It's not uncommon for new immigrants not receiving their PR cards at all due to photograph related problem regardless what address (service provider's or a family) given to IRCC at landing. If you have time, dig the forum for examples. Some people stayed for two months, but still not received their cards.
I guess you are focusing on different issue here. In my first post i have mentioned to take Service Provider service for at least three months.
Again, That photograph issue is not tied with service provider and if CIC ask for new photograph they email applicant to send them again then it will be delivered to whatever address you have given to them.

Photograph issue and the questions this person asked are two different things.

Please read his questions carefully to understand his concerns.

He doesn't wanna stay in Canada to just wait for PR card. And you do not need to be in Canada in order to send new photographs to them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I want to do a short landing of maybe a few days or a week. I do not really have 57 days to spend waiting around for the PR card. I do not have friends or family to have it sent to.

A) will my PR have still been activated if I leave canada without the card? Will the CIC officer care that I'm only staying a few days? I don't want to fly all the way there and find i come away without confirming my PR.

B) Will it be difficult to get the replacement papers to return to Canada by air? I am British. He application form I saw seemed pretty long.

C) if I were to stay in Canada and wait for the PR card, does anybody know how I can find cheap accommodation lasting a couple of months? Most search engines only give hotels and hostels. I need a place I can have my card posted to, and somewhere affordable. Like somebody's home who takes in lodgers. Does anybody know how I can find out about such accommodation? Ideally near to Toronto, St John's, or Halifax.

Many thanks
Just apply for a PRTD. It's a pretty simple process.

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
Well, You might have not read CIC website

"For PR Cards issued to new immigrants upon entry to Canada (Phase I cards), it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or a paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob491.asp

Canada Post or UPS are service Providers.

PO Box addresses are not acceptable in Phase II. Even in Second phase its acceptable if you have valid reason.
Good luck with believing that. I know personally of many such unsuccessful cases. Would be (positively) surprised to hear of any positive experiences.
However, an UPS box bearing a fake residential address would probably work without an issue.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Good luck with believing that. I know personally of many such unsuccessful cases. Would be (positively) surprised to hear of any positive experiences.
However, an UPS box bearing a fake residential address would probably work without an issue.
Everyone has their own experiences. I am quoting what CIC states.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess you are focusing on different issue here. In my first post i have mentioned to take Service Provider service for at least three months.
Again, That photograph issue is not tied with service provider and if CIC ask for new photograph they email applicant to send them again then it will be delivered to whatever address you have given to them.

Photograph issue and the questions this person asked are two different things.

He doesn't wanna stay in Canada to just wait for PR card. And you do not need to be in Canada in order to send new photographs to them.
Again, go for the PRTD. It's the most simple and safer way. No dealings with any service providers you mentioned.

Photograph issue and the questions this person asked are related.

Last edited:

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Again, go for the PRTD. It's the most simple and safer way. No dealings with any service providers.
Do you know what is the use of PRTD? :)
He is asking where to deliver his PR card in Canada as he doesn't know anybody in here.

PRTD is use to re-enter in Canada if you do not have PR Card. it has nothing to do with the delivery of PR Card.