+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Landing - don't know anybody in Canada... help!

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi all,

I am planning to land in Canada but only have a week to spare and then have other commitments abroad. So I will return to Canada later. However, I do not know anybody in Canada who could receive and post out my pr card. Any suggestions? How about:

- don't give an address. Return within 180 days of landing via a land border, and then provide an address once back in Canada? Would I make it through the border ok with my passport but no pr card?

- or, apply for a travel document to fly in from my home country. Only problem there is that they might refuse it for some reason. Not sure why they would, but they have the power to. Also, the application looks like a pain in the neck.

Also, is it actually allowed to leave without the pr card and return later? Is it something cic care about particularly?

Any thoughts?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hi, if you are planning to live in Ontario, you may want to reach out to World Skills Employment Centre. They have a new pre-arrival settlement program for people who have their approval papers (SOPA), and they may be able to give you some advice.

yes, you can enter canada at a land border with your COPR (approval paper) and passport. the PR card is only needed for air travel.

assuming you are a landed PR when applying for the document, there's no reason you would be denied a PR travel document.

Depending on when your landing document expires, you may want to consider waiting until you are ready to move to canada permanently to land, so there is no issue with sending the PR card.

Good luck!

Reactions: Milsrome