+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shoplifting in USA :((

Flyer3d

Oct 7, 2011
I'm a 35 years old and a doctoral student in USA, I had I got caught on a shoplifting incident for a $75 item on VA last year, and because of the tough law of VA, the situation ended up by spending 2 days on jail. (30 days, to suspend 26 and 4 days on jail).
I need to know if I can move to Canada for Immigration as a Skilled Worker, one of my Canadian friends advised me to wait for 5 years before starting my paper work. My questions are,
1.Do I have to wait all this time? is there anyway to visit Canada as a tourist and then searching for a job there?
2.If this incident will show up in my criminal record when I apply for a job in Canada?
I clearly know that I was mistaken but now I need to start a new life, this shoplifting incident is a red flag for me when I apply for any job here in US. Thus, is there anyway to make my record clean so I can start as a new life to survive ! Please help

ss1886

Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2010
Doc's Request.
18-08-2011
AOR Received.
17-02-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with documents
File Transfer...
12-03-2011
Med's Request
22-12-2012
Med's Done....
04-01-2013
Interview........
26-08-2012
Passport Req..
PPR-1 04-02-2013, PPR-2 11-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2013
LANDED..........
15-09-2013
I am sorry to say but on moral grounds such acts should not go unchecked for Canadian immigration, but that's my personnel opinion.

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Request an FBI Clearance here in the US and check if the crime shows (I will assume it does since you are having problems getting a job). If so, you can try to hire a good attorney and get your background clear or hire an attorney for Canadian immigration

Rod

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest to get FBI report and state DOJ report (DOJ for local USA state).
if your crime is under one of the above report then it is not advisible to apply for canada immigration.

OMM

Flyer3d

Oct 7, 2011
omm said:
I suggest to get FBI report and state DOJ report (DOJ for local USA state).
if your crime is under one of the above report then it is not advisible to apply for canada immigration.

OMM

you mean that it is not advisable to apply for immegration FOREVER ???
and would you please let me know from where to obtain the FBI report and state DOJ report..
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Flyer3d said:
and would you please let me know from where to obtain the FBI report and state DOJ report..
Thanks
1. If you have one shoplifting offence and the amount was less than $5000, then it will probably be treated as 1 summary offence. This 1 summary offence does NOT make you inadmissible to Canada.

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flyer3d said:
Thanks
As PMM is correct, it's depend on offence.
if you in the USA then visit nearest police station and ask for fingureprint for FBI report and DOJ.
FBI : must manual ink one.
DOJ: live scan is ok even manual too mostly now all states do live scan.

even you can goole your nearest authorized fingerprint agency for FBI and state DOJ.

OMM

winendine

Star Member
Sep 30, 2011
In the Kitchen
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
6241/6242
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2011
Doc's Request.
All docs sub. with app.
AOR Received.
16-02-2012
IELTS Request
Band8 with app.
File Transfer...
10-03-2012 w/ file trans. to NDVO
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
VISA ISSUED...
NA
LANDED..........
201X
I suggest you have a one on one meeting with a criminal lawyer in your state. Different states have different criminal laws. You need to see if your record is clear, you must clear all record of criminal charges before immigrating. These days with computer systems linked between the US and Canada, you have to be extra careful.

Do not let a small violation haunt you in the future. Meeting a local criminal lawyer will help you. I am no expert to say how big or how small a petty theft is in regards to immigration to Canada, your job prospects or even your future entry to the US.

Flyer3d

Oct 7, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. If you have one shoplifting offence and the amount was less than $5000, then it will probably be treated as 1 summary offence. This 1 summary offence does NOT make you inadmissible to Canada.
SO, if I want to apply and I have 1 summary offence, DO I have to wait for 5 years?

Flyer3d

Oct 7, 2011
PMM said:
PMM,
I started to search for a 1 summary offense in "immigration to Canada website", and I found that I can apply for rehabilitation. But my question is , I have one conviction with a 30 days sentence. Do I have to wait for 5 years ?
Please help me !

More information can be found here
applications/guides/5312E3.asp

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
please read CIC article criminal inadmissibility:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

OMM

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
omm said:
please read CIC article criminal inadmissibility:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

OMM
Good info

FSWCIO

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2012
Flyer3d said:
I'm a 35 years old and a doctoral student in USA, I had I got caught on a shoplifting incident for a $75 item on VA last year, and because of the tough law of VA, the situation ended up by spending 2 days on jail. (30 days, to suspend 26 and 4 days on jail).
I need to know if I can move to Canada for Immigration as a Skilled Worker, one of my Canadian friends advised me to wait for 5 years before starting my paper work. My questions are,
1.Do I have to wait all this time? is there anyway to visit Canada as a tourist and then searching for a job there?
2.If this incident will show up in my criminal record when I apply for a job in Canada?
I clearly know that I was mistaken but now I need to start a new life, this shoplifting incident is a red flag for me when I apply for any job here in US. Thus, is there anyway to make my record clean so I can start as a new life to survive ! Please help
shoplifting is not a criminal offence and you can go for any kind of immigration or whatever without worrying a BIT.dont listen any crap and apply for you desired way. get police clearance if it shows up there still its a minor crime and should be ommited by immigration officer.just give a explaination letter additionally with your immigration application. good luck. ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

FSWCIO said:
shoplifting is not a criminal offence and you can go for any kind of immigration or whatever without worrying a BIT.dont listen any crap and apply for you desired way. get police clearance if it shows up there still its a minor crime and should be ommited by immigration officer.just give a explaination letter additionally with your immigration application. good luck. ;D
Shoplifting is a Criminal offence. It is called theft under $5000 in Canada.