NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
Doc's Request.
23-01-2017
AOR Received.
03-04-2017
Hello all,

I relocated to Canada in November 2018 and at that time I did not declare any goods to be followed.
But now I want to bring back a lot of my stuff back into Canada. The stuff is namely:

1) some cutlery which was collected by me over years
2) small furniture like chaise chairs, some lamps (again collected on my travels), a sofa, shoe rack, dresser etc
3) photo frames and other wall decoration plates etc.
4) my collection of books.

so I wanted to know if I will be liable for duties/taxes on this or is there any workaround. Will it help if I go and speak to the CBSA officers and mention that I had not bought any goods with me earlier and and I am just bringing in my personal effect.

And worse case, how much duty might I need to pay. I live in Montréal.
thank you for your response.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you bring the goods, sooner or later you would have to deal with CBSA. There is an online calculator on their website for anyone to estimate the amount of duty one need to pay.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello all,

I relocated to Canada in November 2018 and at that time I did not declare any goods to be followed.
But now I want to bring back a lot of my stuff back into Canada. The stuff is namely:

1) some cutlery which was collected by me over years
2) small furniture like chaise chairs, some lamps (again collected on my travels), a sofa, shoe rack, dresser etc
3) photo frames and other wall decoration plates etc.
4) my collection of books.

so I wanted to know if I will be liable for duties/taxes on this or is there any workaround. Will it help if I go and speak to the CBSA officers and mention that I had not bought any goods with me earlier and and I am just bringing in my personal effect.

And worse case, how much duty might I need to pay. I live in Montréal.
thank you for your response.
If you've been living in Canada for the past 2 years, and didn't declare any of these items on your Goods to Follow list, then yes, you could certainly be taxed upon their import. That said, the items you listed sound like low value items that are clearly not for resale, so I doubt the tax will be significant, if any.