+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping a car to Canada as part of “personal belongings effect”

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What do you mean don't say where you are coming from ?
You didn't post what country you are from and what country you are importing your car from. There are different rules if you are importing from North America (US/Mexico) or other countries. All the information is in the link. If not from the US or Mexico, it most likely isn't worth importing your car.

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
I am from Egypt, i live in Kuwait. I am the first owner of the car. I landed in Canada once last September and i am planning to return to Canada within 6 months. I received my PR card a few days ago.

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
The rules say that only a 10 yr old car can be imported but I've been told that “personal belongings effect” is an exception for a new immigrant. But i am the only one who can use the car in Canada and i cannot sell it in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

The rules say that only a 10 yr old car can be imported but I've been told that “personal belongings effect” is an exception for a new immigrant. But i am the only one who can use the car in Canada and i cannot sell it in Canada.
1. You were told wrong, the car has to be 15 years old, anything under that age has to be have been manufactured in North America.

Special circumstances allowing to import a vehicle from outside the U.S. and Mexico

The following circumstances allow people to import a vehicle from a country other than the United States and Mexico:

• The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus.
  • The vehicle is a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971.
  • The vehicle is non-regulated at importation, meaning it does not belong to a class of vehicle regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.
  • The vehicle meets all Canadian standards and was purchased NEW abroad from a manufacturer. The importer should pre-authorize the vehicle's importation with Transport Canada.
  • The vehicle is a returning Canadian-specification vehicle – originally owned in Canada - and it still complies with Canadian standards. If the importer is not the same owner prior to the vehicle leaving Canada, he must request pre-authorization from Transport Canada for the vehicle's entry.
  • The vehicle meets U.S. safety standards and was bought NEW at retail in the U.S. prior to being shipped abroad. The vehicle also needs to qualify for import via the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
  • The vehicle is a returning U.S.-specification used vehicle - originally purchased at retail in the U.S. - and it still complies with U.S. standards. The vehicle also needs to qualify for import via the Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Reactions: YVR123

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
Thank you so much but how do i know it meets canadian standards? And how do i pre-authorize its importation with transport Canada?
The car is manufactured in US but purchased in Kuwait and i am the first owner.