+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sharing Affidavit wording/format in Lieu of Marriage or Birth Certificate

Dec 14, 2014
I see lot of people asking what to do if they are missing birth certificate or marriage certificate for parents/themself. Just wanted to share my format of the affidavit I asked from my parents. feel free to let me know if you think I should add/remove something.

Text Format:

We, <Father Name> and <Mother Name> being duly sworn, hereby affirm and state:

1. We reside at <Home Address>

2. <Father Name> (Husband) was born in in <Place of birth> on <Date of Birth>

3. <Mother Name> (Wife) was born in <Place of birth> on <Date of Birth>

4. We have been married since <Marriage Date>.

5. <Your Name>, for whom this affidavit is being made is our son, who was born on <Your DOB> in <Place of birth>.

Sworn before me this <Date & Place>

Anjy

Feb 24, 2018
I see lot of people asking what to do if they are missing birth certificate or marriage certificate for parents/themself. Just wanted to share my format of the affidavit I asked from my parents. feel free to let me know if you think I should add/remove something.

Text Format:

We, <Father Name> and <Mother Name> being duly sworn, hereby affirm and state:

1. We reside at <Home Address>

2. <Father Name> (Husband) was born in in <Place of birth> on <Date of Birth>

3. <Mother Name> (Wife) was born in <Place of birth> on <Date of Birth>

4. We have been married since <Marriage Date>.

5. <Your Name>, for whom this affidavit is being made is our son, who was born on <Your DOB> in <Place of birth>.

Sworn before me this <Date & Place>

@H1B_140approved_CanadaPR, Thank you for providing with the format for affidavit in lieu of marriage certificate. I really needed it at this point of time as i'm in the process to apply for my parent's visitor visa. Did this format worked well for you? is there anything we need to add in it that you got to know about later on? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

hsing

Jun 24, 2021
IRCC emailed me yesterday and asked for a marriage certificate for me and my wife in order to proceed with the application. Now, the issue that both I and my wife don't have a marriage certificate. We don't have time or money to go back to India (home country) in order build a marriage certificate. Instead, we have notarized marriage affidavits and other form of proofs such as adhaar card with spouse name written. Our affidavit is properly notarized and it says that my <wife name> is my legally wedded etc. Can IRCC reject my application for not providing a marriage certificate explicilty?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IRCC emailed me yesterday and asked for a marriage certificate for me and my wife in order to proceed with the application. Now, the issue that both I and my wife don't have a marriage certificate. We don't have time or money to go back to India (home country) in order build a marriage certificate. Instead, we have notarized marriage affidavits and other form of proofs such as adhaar card with spouse name written. Our affidavit is properly notarized and it says that my <wife name> is my legally wedded etc. Can IRCC reject my application for not providing a marriage certificate explicilty?
Yes - they can certainly reject you for this reason. I've never seen anyone accepted on this forum for spousal sponsorship with just an affidavit. You need the actual marriage certificate.

The person who started this thread was sponsoring their parents for PR. That's a different situation.

For spousal sponsorship, I think you're looking at an extremely high chance of refusal without the actual marriage certificate.

stayyoung2507

Sep 28, 2021
Was it accepted?

RaoulSylvena

Jan 9, 2022
Yes - they can certainly reject you for this reason. I've never seen anyone accepted on this forum for spousal sponsorship with just an affidavit. You need the actual marriage certificate.

The person who started this thread was sponsoring their parents for PR. That's a different situation.

For spousal sponsorship, I think you're looking at an extremely high chance of refusal without the actual marriage certificate.

Hi Raoul here.
I am in Canada and applying for my PR. (my wife & kids are still in India) IRCC has asked for marriage certificate. do you have a format of the affidavit for Christian marriage that was solemnized in church. For you information.... i am applying under AIP