+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Share your LAND border Landing stories (mine has some unexpected moments)

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Hey Everyone!

So as an individual I am someone who likes to know things before hand and be prepared for it. I like to be very informed and kind prepare for various scenarios. Surprises are not my thing, especially not at immigration check points!!

In light of that I think if we all share our stories it will help to have a good resource of questions and answers.

So below is my story:

TLDR; version
I live in NY and drove to the Rainbow bridge border crossing to land as a permanent resident in Canada. woohoo!! It was simple, easy and without any major issues. Present COPR, Proof of funds and done.

Elaborate version:
Live in NY so driving was the easiest way to get the landing done. Due to my location, I had multiple options on what land border crossing to choose . Finally it boiled down to Rainbow bridge and Queenstown Lewiston bridge since i have crossed that border from both those bridges in the past and the familiarity factor won over ease of getting to the destination.

This was going to be a soft landing but I also wanted to get my SIN number as well as a bank account set up while i was going to be in Canada. So I chose the Rainbow bridge border crossing since there is a social services office at walking distance from the border.

Upon arrival at the border crossing on Friday around 11:00 AM. There were only a few cars that were there so I got to the CBSA agent fairly quickly. I got to the officer and told him that I was there to land as a permanent resident.
The officer then tells me sorry we don't do landings here on Friday's.
Ok !!that took me by surprise.
He then told me that they only do landings on certain days of the week and that too from 08:00 Am to 12:00 Pm. And then went on and started explaing how they only do landings at certain times and that I should check the CBSA/ CIC website for accurate details, etc, etc.
In the time he was explaing I figured that he had me misunderstood as if I was flag polling. [But i didn't want to be come out as over-smart and offend the officer and tell him that hey dude you are wrong I am not flag polling.]

He then started writing something on a yellow sheet of paper and told me that I should go to a office close to where I live and get an appointment to get the landing done. So at that point I asked him that where would be the closest office in New York? So he said didn't you just go around and turn at the border? I said no, I lived in NY. So he then realized his error and said oh, then we can do your landing. Glad we got that clarified. He wrote on the yellow sheet NOT Flag polling. NY resident. And asked me to park in any available spot and head into the office and hand that document to the next available officer.

So I parked and entered the building and myself and couple of CBSA officers are the only people in the building. One officer calls me to head over to her. i hand her all the documents and wait

Officer asks me some questions:
1. When do you plan on coming to Canada?
- Sometime next year. Don't have any exact date.

2. Why did you choose to land today? (Got caught a little off guard by this)
- I said i was there to see some friends in Toronto and so thought I would just finish the process since I was already crossing the border.

3. Requested proof of funds
- Provided bank letter from a single bank with fair amount of funds (more than required)

The officer asked me to take a seat and said she will call me shortly. In about 5 minutes she called me up to the counter and asked me to sign the COPR. Signed the COPR both copies. And the officer gave me one copy (the one without the photograph). She told me that this is what i would be using to enter Canada until i get my PR card.

So then he asked me again when i was moving to Canada. So I told her that as I get a job or sometime early next year. So she tells me that they are only issuing PR cards to people who live in Canada. (Took me by surprise again) Also told me that they she cannot have the PR card be shipped outside of Canada, and would need a address in Canada. So I told her that I have an address in Canada. She asked me that so you have a place in Canada but don't live there? I explained that no it is a friend of mine, he lives there. so she then says she can't send it there since I don't live there. So I explained it to her that since i have never lived in Canada, when I move I am going to be living at that address and look for a place and then move to where ever I move when i find something satisfactory.
She then understood and updated the address for PR card.

She then directed me to the Customs desk.

I had a detailed list of my goods listed with a goods to follow list that was about 6 pages long (haha yes 6 pages!!) The officer looked at those pages, I had a total at the bottom of every page and a grand total of all pages on the last page.

The officer made copies. Stamped and signed the documents. And gave a copy to me and I was on my merry way as a permanent resident.

I think that if we all shared our stories we can be more prepared for situations / questions that I faced. Also, once every week atleast i will read through the posts and add relevant information / questions to the main post so someone who is reading gets all the info in one go.

Good luck everyone and hope this helps!!

Cheers
-P

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Hey Everyone!

So as an individual I am someone who likes to know things before hand and be prepared for it. I like to be very informed and kind prepare for various scenarios. Surprises are not my thing, especially not at immigration check points!!

In light of that I think if we all share our stories it will help to have a good resource of questions and answers.

So below is my story:

TLDR; version
I live in NY and drove to the Rainbow bridge border crossing to land as a permanent resident in Canada. woohoo!! It was simple, easy and without any major issues. Present COPR, Proof of funds and done.

-P
Thanks for sharing this. We live in Boston and plan to do a soft landing at Lewiston.
Good to know that the appointment stuff is needed only for flag polling - this was a major point of confusion for me.

Ravichandran

May 30, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Here is my case and I need your help. I have got my COPR request couple of weeks before and I have sent my passport to CIC.
I'm travelling to India next week and my marriage is fixed on Nov 30. What is the best way to apply PR for my spouse and get her here?
Would I be able to include her in my current application after flag poling during my return to Canada?

Reactions: s.tamoor

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Here is my case and I need your help. I have got my COPR request couple of weeks before and I have sent my passport to CIC.
I'm travelling to India next week and my marriage is fixed on Nov 30. What is the best way to apply PR for my spouse and get her here?
Would I be able to include her in my current application after flag poling during my return to Canada?
If you want to include her in your application, you need to inform CIC BEFORE you land to change your marital status and send all additional documents for your spouse.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for sharing this. We live in Boston and plan to do a soft landing at Lewiston.
Good to know that the appointment stuff is needed only for flag polling - this was a major point of confusion for me.
Just to elaborate on that, flag polling is for people who reside in Canada and want to do the landing without having to leave the country (in a way.). So if a person who gets their PR approved and lives in Canada, enters United States (consider they visit Boston, with a valid US Visa), when they go back to Canada, they will not be flag polling and will be processed as Landed immigrants, because they are entering into Canada after visiting another country. Hope that makes sense and is clear. So for you as someone who lives in US will never be flag polling and will always be processed at the port of entry. For you its like they are verifying your visa to enter Canada, but it just happens that the visa you have this time is of an immigrant and not a temporary visitor visa.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
-P

Reactions: dopehead

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Per my understanding. The best case scenario is to add your wife as a dependent once you have landed in Canada. Also, please don't use the term flag polling incorrectly. You will not be flag polling if you present your Immigrant visa and COPR at the airport when you return from India.

And PLEASE let this thread be more of Landing stories only.

Thanks!!

ajayreddyr

Oct 10, 2017
United States of America
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-10-2017
AOR Received.
09-10-2017
Med's Done....
24-10-2017
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2017
LANDED..........
08-06-2018
3. Requested proof of funds
- Provided bank letter from a single bank with fair amount of funds (more than required)
What letter is this? Did you convert your US dollars to Canadian dollars or a letter from US bank should suffice?
Also, can you please confirm if people landing from US DON'T need an appointment?

Thanks!

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Just to elaborate on that, flag polling is for people who reside in Canada and want to do the landing without having to leave the country (in a way.). So if a person who gets their PR approved and lives in Canada, enters United States (consider they visit Boston, with a valid US Visa), when they go back to Canada, they will not be flag polling and will be processed as Landed immigrants, because they are entering into Canada after visiting another country. Hope that makes sense and is clear. So for you as someone who lives in US will never be flag polling and will always be processed at the port of entry. For you its like they are verifying your visa to enter Canada, but it just happens that the visa you have this time is of an immigrant and not a temporary visitor visa.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
-P
Very helpful - thanks!

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
What letter is this? Did you convert your US dollars to Canadian dollars or a letter from US bank should suffice?
Also, can you please confirm if people landing from US DON'T need an appointment?

Thanks!
Hey so the letter is from my US bank, the letter essentially just says that I have been with the bank since dd/mm/yyyy. What kinds of accounts I have. And that all of the accounts are in good standing. It also mentions the current balance on the account and a 6 month average balance for the accounts.

And yes that is correct, if you are landing from US or for that matter from any other country then you do not need an appointment.

Reactions: ajayreddyr