Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
04-07-2022
Hi All,

I worked in Toronto in the year 2010 with NOC 2174 on work permit as a software developer.
Now my experience is over 9 years and roles more like software engineer(even my designation says so) which comes under NOC 2173.

Wanted to ask will which is preferred/advantage NOC for my case ?

mukulabd

Oct 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nayaskumar said:
Hi All,

I worked in Toronto in the year 2010 with NOC 2174 on work permit as a software developer.
Now my experience is over 9 years and roles more like software engineer(even my designation says so) which comes under NOC 2173.

Wanted to ask will which is preferred/advantage NOC for my case ?
Designation does not matter. It depends on the duties you performed. Match the duties in your reference letter with the duties under each NOC. The one with most matches is your NOC.

sms_1190

Feb 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mukulabd said:
Designation does not matter. It depends on the duties you performed. Match the duties in your reference letter with the duties under each NOC. The one with most matches is your NOC.
I agree here. I did the same. My designation says Software Engineer and I changed my NOC from 2173 to 2174 after getting OINP invitation. when making a decision on my file, I was asked to explain why I changed to 2174 after getting invitation. I explained it and in 3 days I got OINP nomination for 2174 and applied for PR using this nomination under 2174.

montylee

Star Member
May 7, 2013
NOC Code......
sms_1190 said:
I agree here. I did the same. My designation says Software Engineer and I changed my NOC from 2173 to 2174 after getting OINP invitation. when making a decision on my file, I was asked to explain why I changed to 2174 after getting invitation. I explained it and in 3 days I got OINP nomination for 2174 and applied for PR using this nomination under 2174.
I am in the same boat and want to change my NOC from 2173 to 2174. What reason did you give for the change to 2174?

montylee

Star Member
May 7, 2013
NOC Code......
For people confused between NOC 2173 and 2174, i have some good news. I emailed PEO (Professional engineers Ontario) i.e. the agency that gives the mandatory license. Here is my question and their reply:

Question:
I have applied to Canada express entry and have received a NOI from Ontario. My NOC code is 2173 and i work as a software developer. I want to know if i need a license to work in Ontario. I don't do any engineering drawings or any such thing that directly effects people's lives. I write, maintain and test software applications.

Reply:
Thank you for your e-mail.

PEO does not use NOC codes to determine who needs a license as persons working in those categories include both persons who need to be licensed and persons who do not.

As a rule, persons engaged in software development do not need to be licensed. The exception is software that is used for health or life critical functions. However, in that case, only the software designer may require a license. Coding, testing and debugging do not require a license in any event.

In case anybody has any more queries, you can email them at enforcement@peo.on.ca but i think i filled up a form on their website that sent this email automatically.

Feb 17, 2018
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Hi Nayaskumar,
I worked application production support role both for desktop and middleware applications. I am thinking of NOC 2174.
Please let me know if is all right?

tue2017

Oct 6, 2017
Hi Guys,
What is your opinion here. Does the following duties match 2173 or 2174

1. Analyzing and evaluating system requirements
2. Engineered the system architecture in accordance with the set guidelines
3. System software devvelopment in accordance with software requirements and specification
4. Unit testing and debugging the system
5. System source code review and walkthrough reports
6. Participate in development team meetings and ensure timely delivery of assigned tasks following agile and software development methodology.

Mrshaks

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
Hi Guys,

Can someone help confirm the if the JD below falls under NOC 2173 (Software engineers and designers) or 2174 (Computer programmers and interactive media developers)
- Assist development lead in all activities with respect to application development & management operations and support of custom-developed solutions
- Contribute to planning the introduction of new application systems
- Develop high-level designs of systems
- Develop prototypes (to improve envisioning and communication) and proof-of-concept systems (to test technology) to validate potential solutions
- Perform coding duties according to the functional and technical specifications in order to solve a business problem
- Actively participate in program unit testing, integration and system testing to ensure they meet quality standards
- Ensure that developed solutions are peer reviewed and formally documented
- Assist in maintaining, supporting and upgrading existing IT systems and applications
- Design, code, test, and document web application software
- Participate in the customisation of application packages
- Ensure that solutions meet requirements outlined in the design documentation

aspirantEE

Mar 31, 2018
Hello All,

Can these responsibilities act as NOC # 2173

1. Interacted with users & customers to discuss requirements, prepared high-level design documents describing the specifications, and, technical changes to the architecture

2. Designed & developed the setups, implemented, integrated, and, tested different ABCD software modules

3. Prepared and synthesized test beds to reproduce customer environments using the lab equipments

4. Researched, did debugging of production & ABCD infrastructure issues, analyzed, and, evaluated the scenarios to work on the fixes

5. Coordinated between teams, prepared, maintained procedures & documentation for software solutions, recorded diagnosis & resolution of system faults

6. Recommended upgrades, defined maintenance activities & procedures to improve the stability, and, performance of the ABCD software and installed base

7. Good exposure and hands-on with Developmental tools like JIRA, Crucible, Eclipse, SVN, Jenkins

8. Created automated scripts & tasks using Shell Scripting and Python, used Linux & VMware tools to monitor the stability of the software, collected logs & data to analyse errors

9. Delivered multiple trainings in technologies like SIP, Red Hat Linux, H323 and VMware

Please let me know..

itsme22

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Hello All,

Can these responsibilities act as NOC # 2173

1. Interacted with users & customers to discuss requirements, prepared high-level design documents describing the specifications, and, technical changes to the architecture

2. Designed & developed the setups, implemented, integrated, and, tested different ABCD software modules

3. Prepared and synthesized test beds to reproduce customer environments using the lab equipments

4. Researched, did debugging of production & ABCD infrastructure issues, analyzed, and, evaluated the scenarios to work on the fixes

5. Coordinated between teams, prepared, maintained procedures & documentation for software solutions, recorded diagnosis & resolution of system faults

6. Recommended upgrades, defined maintenance activities & procedures to improve the stability, and, performance of the ABCD software and installed base

7. Good exposure and hands-on with Developmental tools like JIRA, Crucible, Eclipse, SVN, Jenkins

8. Created automated scripts & tasks using Shell Scripting and Python, used Linux & VMware tools to monitor the stability of the software, collected logs & data to analyse errors

9. Delivered multiple trainings in technologies like SIP, Red Hat Linux, H323 and VMware

Please let me know..
HI even i am confused i had almost same responsibilities as u .I have selected 2173 is that correct.Which one did u select.Thank u

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Hello,

I am post graduated from BC and applied for BCPNP by mentioning that my NOC code and title are 2173 and Software Developer. I got the nomination with No restrictions from BC, and then I applied for Permanent Residency with the same NOC code, i.e., 2173, because my duties match with this code more. However, my title is Software Developer, which is actually the title of NOC 2174. In my reference letter, my Canadian employer mentioned my title as Software Developer and added the NOC code as 2173. Could someone please suggest if this is ok?