+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

settling in Montreal Quebec - canadian PR holder

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To rent a residence, all the landlord will be interested in is $$; i.e. Your ability to pay.

For medical insurance (RAMQ) you will need your PR cards for an initial registration, as recent immigrants moving from Ottawa (Ottawa being your first & temporary address in Canada as new arrivals).

Does that make sense?

nelkyl

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Lammawitch said:
To rent a residence, all the landlord will be interested in is $$; i.e. Your ability to pay.

For medical insurance (RAMQ) you will need your PR cards for an initial registration, as recent immigrants moving from Ottawa (Ottawa being your first & temporary address in Canada as new arrivals).

Does that make sense?
So are you saying that until I have the PR cards I can't apply for medical insurance and can't register in QC even if we have a work contract from QC employer ?
In Ontario we can apply for medical insurance from the first day after the lading even if we don't have the PR card in our hands.

noetic22

Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
Done
Nomination.....
10-2014
AOR Received.
Done
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
Done
Med's Request
Done
Med's Done....
12-2014
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
Waiting....
I have few doubts though?

1. When the initial application was sent to CIC for FSW the province would not have been mentioned as Quebec which demonstrate that you had no intention of settling/residing in Quebec. Changing your province (fine if you are changing it any other province apart from Quebec because it does not require any other formality like Quebec certificate etc..) does demonstrate that you are bypassing Quebec immigration laws. Whether its just frowned upon or a legal issue is another matter.

2. Would it create any issue when you would request for citizenship or extend your PR status after 5 years?

3. Do you have any example of someone who has already done this and had no issues when applying for citizenship?

Just to clarify I am not saying you cant do it, I am querying if you can and does it come with any strings attached.

xsabhishek said:
Hi All,

Got Canadian PR recently and about to move to Toronto, Canada in July.
I am getting a job offer from an employer in Montreal, Quebec.

Now my concern is, am i allowed to work and settle in Quebec with Canadian PR?
As some of the people informed me that i would require certificate de quebec(CSQ) to work and settle there.
I applied for PR in FSW category.

I need your expert opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abhi

Patientman

Star Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
NOC Code......
File to Quebec: 1111 - File to CIC: 1112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Quebec: 30-10-2010 / CIC: 4-11-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ 14-10-2013
AOR Received.
CIC - 17-12-2013
Med's Request
6-2014
Med's Done....
25-7-2014
Please advise on cheapest banks in Canada that have strong presence in Montreal?
Please provide a link for health insurance for new landing immigrants?
Anyone can share a link for a new-comers checklist?

Cheers,
Patient

sarwar_zahan

Star Member
Aug 22, 2014
Toronto
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
Doc's Request.
09-05-2014
Nomination.....
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
16-09-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
16-09-2014
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
02-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-12-2014
Patientman said:
Please advise on cheapest banks in Canada that have strong presence in Montreal?
Please provide a link for health insurance for new landing immigrants?
Anyone can share a link for a new-comers checklist?

Cheers,
Patient
You can check on http://settlement.org/

nelkyl

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Lammawitch said:

Does that make sense?
So are you saying that until I have the PR cards I can't apply for medical insurance and can't register in QC even if we have a work contract from QC employer ?
In Ontario we can apply for medical insurance from the first day after the lading even if we don't have the PR card in our hands.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nelkyl said:
Quebec like Ontario has a 3 month waiting period for health care so it really doesn't matter if you register as soon as you arrive or 3 months later as long as you can prove when you came. They will ask for proof of residing in the province such as a utility bill with your name and a Quebec address. OHIP would ask you to prove that you live in the province too if you were to apply there.

You don't really have to register for much else. You have to get yourself a Quebec drivers license if you plan to drive. You need a SIN. That's pretty much it.

You ask about registering your address in Quebec. There is no central registry in Canada you have to register at but if you are thinking of informing immigration about your new address, I would suggest that you try to avoid that as it may raise the issue that you applied under FSW and should not actually be living in Quebec. If they wanted to get picky, they could say that you misrepresented yourself when you applied and later landed as an FSW while fully knowing that you were intending to go to Quebec. I usually advise people to not move until after a few months but many people have done it and haven't had a problem.

I would also suggest that you get travel insurance to cover your and your family's potential emergencies during the time you wait for health care coverage. You never know what might happen and it could set you back $$$ if you don't have insurance.

vizsagar

May 28, 2013
Dubai
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I am landing with my family (4 adults) on 21st August in Montreal and I am under Quebec investment
program and plan to settle and live in Quebec itself.

Can you please suggest some economical furnished apartment within city limits for a week
to 10 days period till the time we find a rented place to live.

I have seen some apartments online but bit confused as to which area we should look for
and what should be considered while taking such places.

Appreciate if you guys can assist !!

Thanks & God bless.

Viz