+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

settling in Montreal Quebec - canadian PR holder

xsabhishek

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Delhi
Hi All,

Got Canadian PR recently and about to move to Toronto, Canada in July.
I am getting a job offer from an employer in Montreal, Quebec.

Now my concern is, am i allowed to work and settle in Quebec with Canadian PR?
As some of the people informed me that i would require certificate de quebec(CSQ) to work and settle there.
I applied for PR in FSW category.

I need your expert opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abhi

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
You are not allowed to do initial landing in Quebec if you don't have a Quebec selection certificate. Once you are done with your landing formalities and officially become a Canadian PR, you are free to move anywhere in Canada. No strings attached!

xsabhishek

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Delhi
harry_aussie said:
You are not allowed to do initial landing in Quebec if you don't have a Quebec selection certificate. Once you are done with your landing formalities and officially become a Canadian PR, you are free to move anywhere in Canada. No strings attached!
Thanks a lot harry for the confirmation :)

zaydoov

May 28, 2010
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2014
Nomination.....
15-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2015
Med's Done....
14-03-2015, Received 27-3-2015, Decision Made 25-5-2015
Passport Req..
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2015
what about the extra benefits you got from Quebec? is it required to have CSQ to have it or just being settled there? and what are the benefits of CSQ holder?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zaydoov said:
what about the extra benefits you got from Quebec? is it required to have CSQ to have it or just being settled there? and what are the benefits of CSQ holder?
What extra benefits are you thinking of?

zaydoov

May 28, 2010
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2014
Nomination.....
15-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2015
Med's Done....
14-03-2015, Received 27-3-2015, Decision Made 25-5-2015
Passport Req..
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2015
Lammawitch said:
What extra benefits are you thinking of?
Quebec pay extra child tax benefit beside the federal allowance. also provide free French courses and give you allowances to study French full time

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Child benefits are not based on/affected by the possession of a CSQ.

I *think*, but can't find a straight answer, that the free French lessons *may* be available to all new immigrants with PR, with or without CSQ; I'd be interested to know the definitive answer as that is a significant benefit if one wishes to live, work & assimilate successfully in QC.

The financial aid for fulltime French study is quite difficult to obtain. There are several criteria to fulfill; as a general observation, *any* kind of social/financial assistance in Qc requires lots of hoop-jumping :(.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Lammawitch said:
I *think*, but can't find a straight answer, that the free French lessons *may* be available to all new immigrants with PR, with or without CSQ; I'd be interested to know the definitive answer as that is a significant benefit if one wishes to live, work & assimilate successfully in QC.
Unless something changed, CSQ is not mandatory to be eligible for Francisation. When I was considering moving to Québec and was still under 5 years after having received my Permanent Residency, I saw that I was eligible even without CSQ.

I found this: FRANCIZATION – FULL-TIME COURSES — http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/en/form/formulaire-francisation-anglais-dyn.pdf

nelkyl

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Hi , we are also arriving in CA next month as permanent residents and additionally my wife has accepted a job offer in Montreal. We don’t have a CSQ Certificate because we are coming through the FSW (excluding Quebec) program. Our questions are:

1. How can we obtain the CSQ Certificate?
2. Will a letter from work or the contract itself help obtain the Certificate?
3. If we don’t get the certificate can we still register for a health insurance and how?
4. Do we need to have our Permanent residents cards issued in order to officially register in Quebec or can we just do that with the SIN –s ? In case we can only register with a SIN, would it matter that will are planning to receive our cards in Ottawa?

Thank you

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nelkyl said:
Hi , we are also arriving in CA next month as permanent residents and additionally my wife has accepted a job offer in Montreal. We don't have a CSQ Certificate because we are coming through the FSW (excluding Quebec) program. Our questions are:

1. How can we obtain the CSQ Certificate?
2. Will a letter from work or the contract itself help obtain the Certificate?
3. If we don't get the certificate can we still register for a health insurance and how?
4. Do we need to have our Permanent residents cards issued in order to officially register in Quebec or can we just do that with the SIN –s ? In case we can only register with a SIN, would it matter that will are planning to receive our cards in Ottawa?

Thank you
Land in Toronto or Ottawa, not in Montreal or Quebec.

Once landed, you can go to Qc, work, register for healthcare, etc, no problem. Use your Ottawa address & PR cards/SIN # to register.

In your situation you do not need a CSQ.

nelkyl

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Lammawitch said:
Land in Toronto or Ottawa, not in Montreal or Quebec.

Once landed, you can go to Qc, work, register for healthcare, etc, no problem. Use your Ottawa address & PR cards/SIN # to register.

In your situation you do not need a CSQ.
Hi,

How can we register in QC with Ontario(Ottawa) address?
We need CSQ - because we need the subsidiary of QC for kindergardens. It's like 7$ for a day if you have the CSQ.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't get a CSQ if you are already a PR, because you don't need one.

You would be *moving* to Montreal from Ottawa. Once in Montreal you will have a Qc address.

The 7$/day daycare does not require a CSQ either, all you need is to be resident in Quebec, which you will be. (You should, however, be aware that it can be difficult to get a place).

A CSQ is simply irrelevant in your case :).

nelkyl

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Lammawitch said:
You can't get a CSQ if you are already a PR, because you don't need one.

You would be *moving* to Montreal from Ottawa. Once in Montreal you will have a Qc address.

The 7$/day daycare does not require a CSQ either, all you need is to be resident in Quebec, which you will be. (You should, however, be aware that it can be difficult to get a place).

A CSQ is simply irrelevant in your case :).

Thank you Lammawitch,

On the landing in Toronto we are gonna give address of friends in Ottawa for sending the PR cards.
If we register in QC before getting the cards - will it be a problem? And in such case, will we get the cards at the requested address (Ottawa), or they will send them to the newly registered address in Montreal?